Derek Scheyer

Immigration Suspension Executive Order - MEGA THREAD

1,506 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
31 minutes ago, billandmy said:

For the K1 Fiance Visa Applicants

K1 Fiance Visa is totally a Non-Immigrant Temporary Visa without a question. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 7.26.56 PM.png

But then once married and you apply for ROC, you are asking the USCIS to issue a Green Card, what category does that put you in?? Will that fall into Trump's "no Green Cards issued for 60 days??"

Timeline
3 minutes ago, EmptySeats said:

There is a ban on anyone entering Ecuador right now, even citizens. No flights go there. Ughhhhhh.

that is terrible. I wish you luck. In your case, I would take the chance but obviously I am no expert and am just scared about how permanent this order by trump will be 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Colaam said:

@EmptySeats Really hope your fiancée gets admitted to the country. This is a very tough spot to be in. Wishing you both the strength to deal with this situation! Hope it all turns out well!

Thanks so much by the way! I'm really frantic right now and I somehow neglected politeness :)

Timeline
1 minute ago, uab1969 said:

But then once married and you apply for ROC, you are asking the USCIS to issue a Green Card, what category does that put you in?? Will that fall into Trump's "no Green Cards issued for 60 days??"

people in the thread are guessing it will not apply for greencard renewals or ROC because our status is completely different from those seeking a NEW greencard 

On 4/20/2020 at 11:28 AM, Derek Scheyer said:

Highlights (updated as of 4/21 28am PT, 2020)

Bloomberg has obtained the draft order:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-21/trump-says-he-ll-suspend-immigration-to-u-s-over-virus-concerns

A draft of the executive order, obtained earlier by by Bloomberg News, said the suspension would last for 90 days.

The draft order does include exceptions for people seeking jobs in “food production and directly helping to protect the supply chain,” which could apply to farm workers. The ban would also not apply to health care or medical research professionals, according to the draft.

Technology industry workers living in the U.S. on H-1B visas, however, would have to provide updated certifications to the government that they are not displacing American workers. Refugees and asylum seekers would not be affected by the order, nor would spouses and children of U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

1 minute ago, uab1969 said:

"Once married" keyword ONCE. This 90 days visa fiance promise you nothing, just a travel visa for you to live and get married with your fiance. Whatever happens after is another stage, another process which is AOS. Has nothing to do with the 90 days Visa. The visa is only for you to get your fiance over to the states and get married. You're not entitled to anything with this Visa. Technically a tourist visa. 

4 minutes ago, EmptySeats said:

The comments here are having me lean towards not even trying. The flights lands at Fort Lauderdale at 7:30am.  Before the executive order is signed, we are almost sure. And we are almost sure it wouldn't block K1. But if it does, there is no way to get back into Ecuador. No one can enter the country from abroad right now, even citizens.

Seems that she could be detained, no?

honestly I think the Executive Order will only affect green card seekers, not people who already have a status. I think your wife will be fine flying in.

N-400:

07/19/2019: Applied online

08/07/2019: Biometrics 

01/22/2020: Interview scheduled

02/26/2020: Interview.

02/27/2020: Status changed to Approved. Oath scheduled for 03/18/2020

12 hours ago, givionte said:

New York Times is reporting the order will temporarily bar new green cards and work visas, and could come as early as the next few days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/us/coronavirus-live-news.html#link-f0a49b5

Still don't know what will happen to those who already received an entry visa but have not yet stepped foot in the door.

I feel like we're in that small minority which will sit in a grey area

Just now, SilverLake said:

honestly I think the Executive Order will only affect green card seekers, not people who already have a status. I think your wife will be fine flying in.

According to the draft order, there is an exemption for spouses and children of U.S. citizens and permanent residents.  So this is good news if i holds up for some of us.

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Just now, SilverLake said:

What is a Green Card Seeker? The way I look at it, almost everyone who has a K-1 fiance visa eventually applies for a green card. But I don't know much about the other visas, admittedly.

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline
Just now, givionte said:

According to the draft order, there is an exemption for spouses and children of U.S. citizens and permanent residents.  So this is good news if i holds up for some of us.

I'm really infuriated it doesn't include us who are over 21 even if we're sons of a US Citizen, I'm going tomorrow to the embassy to see if I can renew my Visa and shell out the $325 if they approve it, this is harrowing to say the least.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
13 minutes ago, EmptySeats said:

The comments here are having me lean towards not even trying. The flights lands at Fort Lauderdale at 7:30am.  Before the executive order is signed, we are almost sure. And we are almost sure it wouldn't block K1. But if it does, there is no way to get back into Ecuador. No one can enter the country from abroad right now, even citizens.

Seems that she could be detained, no?

I would be very careful in this situation, everything is already a mess. I wouldn’t try to complicate the situation even more. Unfortunately I would say that there is no way to know if she would be admitted or not. Think about it carefully, and if you guys decide to go for it then hopefully everything will go smoothly. 

Edited by Reyess

@EmptySeats

Please don't listen to anybody and just risk it. I was supposed to arrive here by  January 1, but I got sick ( some virus) , and I had to postpone my flight by 3 weeks. When I recovered, I wanted to have some personal issues attended to first, but I suddenly realized, this Covid -19 ( even flights from China were still not banned at that time) could become just as dangerous as the Spanish Flu ( my great grandmother had it 100 years ago  in 1919, so I learned about it when I was still a toddler). I left at once, and I don't regret it, although I was still weak after the infection. Please do the same now.

3 minutes ago, Andres1987 said:

I'm really infuriated it doesn't include us who are over 21 even if we're sons of a US Citizen, I'm going tomorrow to the embassy to see if I can renew my Visa and shell out the $325 if they approve it, this is harrowing to say the least.

It is understandable for many to be upset. But for children over 21, you are considered an adult. There is some logic to it. You can fend for yourself. You can start a family of your own. You can work. You can start a business. You can buy a house. A child that is 8 or 9 years old can not do those things. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.