48 posts in this topic

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

We’re expecting some areas to be added but no, not yet.  Florida imposed the same rule on the NY tri-state area when they started bringing cases down there.  
New Orleans had mardi gras and huge St Paddy celebrations the week of the 17th, as did NYC while we were all locked down because of a small handful of cases. 
 I’m having trouble building as much sympathy for such irresponsible behavior as we had for Washington State, where it got out of hand before anyone saw it coming.

I don't think NYC had mardi gras or a huge st. paddy's. if we did, i was entirely oblivious to it! haven't heard about it.

here's an article about ny postponing st. patrick's parade: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/nyregion/new-york-st-patricks-day-parade-canceled.html

Edited by fs2439

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
Just now, fs2439 said:

I don't think NYC had mardi gras or a huge st. paddy's. if we did, i was entirely oblivious to it! haven't heard about it.

New Orleans did and NYC did have St Paddy’s day celebrations.  NYC was fully open long after we were locked down and working from home.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
27 minutes ago, fs2439 said:

i honestly think we just have to wait and see what happens... read a novel, do something else... it's out of our hands right now and it's unclear whether anyone knows what will happen

BEST ADVICE.  Very true.  

Maybe dusting off "Cat's Cradle."  (Covid-19 as Ice-9).  

or for a real trip, 1997's "4th Turning."   Could not be more precient  and timely.  

Thank you and stay safe, everyone!  

Timeline

Looks like we just got an answer. 

Trump just extended Federal social distancing guidelines to April 30.  

I would assume that means USCIS offices will extend closures until at least then as well.  

Stay safe!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Guyana
Timeline
3 hours ago, ourwildjourney said:

Exactly. That’s really my question. Do they either all open on the 7th or none open on the 7th. Or will it vary state to state?  If the Fed says “open up the ASC offices” could individual states say “Nope” or do they have to?  Maybe we stay safe in Utah for several more weeks and see if Utah opens before heading back to CA which has more cases anyway. 

Let’s not run away with ourselves. The president is looking to extend that by 30 days. So chances are offices won’t be reopening until May

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Sami58 said:

Let’s not run away with ourselves. The president is looking to extend that by 30 days. So chances are offices won’t be reopening until May

Yup!  Just posted that. I should have just chilled out for a few hours😂

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Guyana
Timeline
Just now, ourwildjourney said:

Yup!  Just posted that. I should have just chilled out for a few hours😂

🤣🤣🤣🤣 It’s crazy! Now my interview would be rescheduled. Mine was set for April 7. It is what it is. Not getting worked up over that. 

x

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

In all honesty, I'd be shocked if anyone even contemplated opening any of these offices until late May at the earliest.  My money for lifting the isolation is June 1.  

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
22 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

1.  USCIS (Federal) controls when USCIS offices are open or closed to the public.  

2.  Local governments control "stay at home" orders for citizens.  Only essential business can take place in the lockdown orders I am familiar with.

BTW:  President Trump said he HOPES businesses can reopen by Easter.....

That is not happening. He backed out of it as far as I know

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
23 hours ago, ourwildjourney said:

I hope everyone is safe and distancing with loved ones :) . 

I posted a question last week specifically about ASC openings for biometrics.  Please stay on topic and not overly political if you respond.  The discussion got heated and way off topic, so the question never was answered. 

My question is who can decide when to open specific ASC offices?  The Federal government or the State level?  (I foresaw there being a Federal (Republican) vs. State (Democrat) showdown in states like CA, WA, NYC, etc. and now am wondering even more how it will play out.

Without getting political, my original question remains:  Is it possible for one State to open it's ASC offices for biometrics before other States?  Or is that something that is mandated at the Federal level?

For example, if the Federal government says "open ASC" and Nebraska wants to but Illinois doesn't, can the States decide?  

Or CA vs AZ . Or FL vs GA, etc.  The specifics don't matter.  

Hypothetically, if Trump still wants to hit an aspirational Easter date to open businesses and says to open ASCs, would Gavin Newsome or Jay Inslee have to listen?  Or could each state actually be different on what offices open and when? 

Is anyone locally hearing their ASC offices MIGHT open?  

Stay safe and thank you!

You are making it political for sure. You could have asked does anybody know when ASC will reopen and it's controlled by the federa gov or by the state.

Anyway it is hard to tell when they are going to reopen. I can't imagine how hard it can be to immigrate at this time. Probably it will take forever to do ROC and stuff too beside the initial applications.

It is too early for me to find where I read it, but I think the whole emergency situation was extended until the end of April for now.

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Timeline
3 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

You are making it political for sure. You could have asked does anybody know when ASC will reopen and it's controlled by the federa gov or by the state.

Anyway it is hard to tell when they are going to reopen. I can't imagine how hard it can be to immigrate at this time. Probably it will take forever to do ROC and stuff too beside the initial applications.

It is too early for me to find where I read it, but I think the whole emergency situation was extended until the end of April for now.

Thanks!  Yes, It's the end of April now.  What does ROC stand for?  

2 minutes ago, ourwildjourney said:

What does ROC stand for?  

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 3/29/2020 at 4:50 PM, fs2439 said:

here's an article about ny postponing st. patrick's parade: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/nyregion/new-york-st-patricks-day-parade-canceled.html

You must have missed the “here’s where you can still celebrate” articles for NYC.  Like this one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/03/12/st-patricks-day-parade-may-be-nixed-but-heres-where-you-can-still-celebrate/amp/

Face it.  Irresponsible behavior and practices in some areas has resulted in extra controls on the irresponsible in others.

Edited by Nitas_man

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.