48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hope everyone is safe and distancing with loved ones :) . 

I posted a question last week specifically about ASC openings for biometrics.  Please stay on topic and not overly political if you respond.  The discussion got heated and way off topic, so the question never was answered. 

My question is who can decide when to open specific ASC offices?  The Federal government or the State level?  (I foresaw there being a Federal (Republican) vs. State (Democrat) showdown in states like CA, WA, NYC, etc. and now am wondering even more how it will play out.

Without getting political, my original question remains:  Is it possible for one State to open it's ASC offices for biometrics before other States?  Or is that something that is mandated at the Federal level?

For example, if the Federal government says "open ASC" and Nebraska wants to but Illinois doesn't, can the States decide?  

Or CA vs AZ . Or FL vs GA, etc.  The specifics don't matter.  

Hypothetically, if Trump still wants to hit an aspirational Easter date to open businesses and says to open ASCs, would Gavin Newsome or Jay Inslee have to listen?  Or could each state actually be different on what offices open and when? 

Is anyone locally hearing their ASC offices MIGHT open?  

Stay safe and thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1.  USCIS (Federal) controls when USCIS offices are open or closed to the public.  

2.  Local governments control "stay at home" orders for citizens.  Only essential business can take place in the lockdown orders I am familiar with.

BTW:  President Trump said he HOPES businesses can reopen by Easter.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

1.  USCIS (Federal) controls when USCIS offices are open or closed to the public.  

2.  Local governments control "stay at home" orders for citizens.  Only essential business can take place in the lockdown orders I am familiar with.

BTW:  President Trump said he HOPES businesses can reopen by Easter.....

Thanks!  So the Federal gov’t could say they all must open, but a particular State could say “not in this State at this time because fingerprints are not “essential”?

Timeline
3 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Those are Federal offices and the Federal government makes the decision as to whether they be opened or closed.

Thanks!  And then, considering the nuance to this from @luckycat, the States could additionally decide they are "not essential" -- even if the Federal government opens them? 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
42 minutes ago, ourwildjourney said:

Thanks!  And then, considering the nuance to this from @luckycat, the States could additionally decide they are "not essential" -- even if the Federal government opens them? 

The states do not have any authority to decide what federal offices are or are not essential.

With that said I highly doubt that fingerprinting and interviewing will commence before the rest of the community can play outside again.  

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

The states do not have any authority to decide what federal offices are or are not essential.

With that said I highly doubt that fingerprinting and interviewing will commence before the rest of the community can play outside again.  

Exactly. That’s what I was wondering. If the Feds say to open and CA can’t play outside but Arizona can (for example), would AZ offices actually be accessible earlier?  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, ourwildjourney said:

Exactly. That’s what I was wondering. If the Feds say to open and CA can’t play outside but Arizona can (for example), would AZ offices actually be accessible earlier?  

Biometrics only need be done by the time the application hits an adjudicators desk.  You have a couple months to see how this plays out before things get more critical 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Biometrics only need be done by the time the application hits an adjudicators desk.  You have a couple months to see how this plays out before things get more critical 

Oooh that is great news. I thought biometrics were the first piece needed for them to even start working on the case at all.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, ourwildjourney said:

Oooh that is great news. I thought biometrics were the first piece needed for them to even start working on the case at all.

It took 108 days for my wife's biometrics,  didn't slow us down one bit

YMMV

Timeline
10 minutes ago, payxibka said:

It took 108 days for my wife's biometrics,  didn't slow us down one bit

Wow. That is awesome.  I have only heard that biometrics is the very first step and nothing is even started until that step. That would be amazing!!

Thanks!

Timeline
1 hour ago, ourwildjourney said:

If you have a letter scheduling an appointment for a time at a specific office in Az that might qualify as an essential trip.  Crossing a state line from an impacted area might earn a quarantine.  Nothing personal but we are going to cheerfully re-elect the Texas officials who lock down travelers from New York, New Jersey, Ct, and New Orleans and we asked for Washington and California as well.  The first 4 are going straight to a 14-day quarantine before they move around our communities.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

If you have a letter scheduling an appointment for a time at a specific office in Az that might qualify as an essential trip.  Crossing a state line from an impacted area might earn a quarantine.  Nothing personal but we are going to cheerfully re-elect the Texas officials who lock down travelers from New York, New Jersey, Ct, and New Orleans and we asked for Washington and California as well.  The first 4 are going straight to a 14-day quarantine before they move around our communities.

That’s the spirit of what I was saying. I would look for States to decide what is open or not. Even if the Feds say to open it all up. If you look at the original post, I’m not asking about driving to other offices. Rather asking if it’s an “all or nothing”. Either all are open or none are open. My guess is that it will not look like that and States will all look a bit different. It’s more me being curios about Feds vs States. (I live in CA but am with family in Utah so It’s not about specifics). 

(The idea of whether a State can quarantine another State is beyond the scope of my question but will be very interesting to see play out, nonetheless.)

Timeline
1 minute ago, ourwildjourney said:

That’s the spirit of what I was saying. I would look for States to decide what is open or not. Even if the Feds say to open it all up. If you look at the original post, I’m not asking about driving to other offices. Rather asking if it’s an “all or nothing”. Either all are open or none are open. My guess is that it will not look like that and States will all look a bit different. It’s more me being curios about Feds vs States. (I live in CA but am with family in Utah so It’s not about specifics). 

(The idea of whether a State can quarantine another State is beyond the scope of my question but will be very interesting to see play out, nonetheless.)

The USCIS webpage says all offices closed until the 7th and check back in after that.

Note:  We’re already putting travelers from those areas in mandatory quarantine.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

The USCIS webpage says all offices closed until the 7th and check back in after that.

Note:  We’re already putting travelers from those areas in mandatory quarantine.  

Exactly. That’s really my question. Do they either all open on the 7th or none open on the 7th. Or will it vary state to state?  If the Fed says “open up the ASC offices” could individual states say “Nope” or do they have to?  Maybe we stay safe in Utah for several more weeks and see if Utah opens before heading back to CA which has more cases anyway. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.