onetwobomb

Possible to extend k1/k2 visa?

16 posts in this topic

My fiance and her son in russia were approved k1/k2 visas last fall. Their Visas expire april 28. They bought their tickets and are supposed to arrive march 30, as this was the most convenient time for me to take time off work. She is scared to fly on a plane and be at the airport at New York because of Corona virus, and my state (Michigan) has a shelter in place order. She talked to the embassy and they told her if her visa expires she will have to do the medical exam and embassy interview over again. I really cannot afford to do that right now. Does anyone have any information that will help or anyone else in a similar situation?  

I have attempted to email my lawyer but pretty much all she is saying is she needs to come ASAP.

Edited by onetwobomb

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The embassy is correct.  Visas can not be extended, but there is a provision in the law that allows (at their discretion) the consulate to re-validate an expired visa.....pending a new medical exam and interview.....if inability to travel is beyond control of the visa holder...  Right now, no other guidance has been issued.

There have been a lot of others asking that question.......Your attorney is correct, imo. 

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you said you have time off, have her fly into another city and pick her up if New York is a issue. I would get her into the US as soon as possible, you don't want to deal with getting all new Visa's. I've driven across the US in under 3 days if needed( not fun, but it can be done)

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

16 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

The embassy is correct.  Visas can not be extended, but there is a provision in the law that allows (at their discretion) the consulate to re-validate an expired visa.....pending a new medical exam and interview.....if inability to travel is beyond control of the visa holder...  Right now, no other guidance has been issued.

There have been a lot of others asking that question.......Your attorney is correct, imo. 

I would not need to file another petition though, correct? Because it has been more than 2 years since I have seen her

10 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

If you said you have time off, have her fly into another city and pick her up if New York is a issue. I would get her into the US as soon as possible, you don't want to deal with getting all new Visa's. I've driven across the US in under 3 days if needed( not fun, but it can be done)

is there any other cities that take direct flights from Moscow?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
5 minutes ago, onetwobomb said:

I would have to look, let me see. 

Most of direct flights operating between USA and Russia originate in major US cities: New York, Washington, Los Angeles, and Miami. Moscow has three international airports (Sheremetyevo, Domodedovo and Vnukovo), while St. Petersburg has the Pulkovo Airport.Mar 22, 2016

information is a little old, but Washington is an option, and I think Chicago would be also.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Most of direct flights operating between USA and Russia originate in major US cities: New York, Washington, Los Angeles, and Miami. Moscow has three international airports (Sheremetyevo, Domodedovo and Vnukovo), while St. Petersburg has the Pulkovo Airport.Mar 22, 2016

information is a little old, but Washington is an option, and I think Chicago would be also.

Pre-COVID-19, the only direct commercial flights between the US and Russia were from Moscow SVO to New York City JFK (2/day), LA LAX (daily),  Miami (seasonal, I think), and Washington, DC Dulles (a few times a week, I think), all on Aeroflot.

Last I heard, everything but one flight to JFK had been canceled for the short term. And Aeroflot is not taking any new bookings on that route from their web site, so it may not be flying anymore either.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Fly them out to San Jose Costa Rica. It's visa free for Russians then fly them into the USA. 

Edited by Sparkle Sparkle

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

5 hours ago, onetwobomb said:

I would not need to file another petition though, correct? Because it has been more than 2 years since I have seen her

No. The reissuing of a visa only requires a new medical + visa fee. A new interview may or may not be required. The existing petition is used.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
20 hours ago, onetwobomb said:

Looks like Aeroflot is still flying into Miami.  Had a friend arrive last week, and online it says tomorrow's flight is still scheduled.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
23 hours ago, onetwobomb said:

My fiance and her son in russia were approved k1/k2 visas last fall. Their Visas expire april 28. They bought their tickets and are supposed to arrive march 30, as this was the most convenient time for me to take time off work. She is scared to fly on a plane and be at the airport at New York because of Corona virus, and my state (Michigan) has a shelter in place order. She talked to the embassy and they told her if her visa expires she will have to do the medical exam and embassy interview over again. I really cannot afford to do that right now. Does anyone have any information that will help or anyone else in a similar situation?  

I have attempted to email my lawyer but pretty much all she is saying is she needs to come ASAP.

i have said it before and will say it here; a lot of people will be shocked when things go south after this corona virus is gone and their visas are not re-issued  because they do not take time to understand the intricacies of the US immigration system as regards to visas. When the embassy issues you a visa, they give you six months and they avail the visa early enough so that you make arrangements and travel early. If you don't travel in 6 months the basic assumption is that any delay is caused by you. They may look at when the visa was issued to you and question why you didn't travel early enough. There is a real possibility they may not extend it. It is not the news you may want to hear but it is what you need to hear.

All this to say that the lawyer is right. Travel as soon as possible so as not to lose this chance. Otherwise you may find yourself in a bind down the line

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 3/25/2020 at 11:24 PM, retheem said:

i have said it before and will say it here; a lot of people will be shocked when things go south after this corona virus is gone and their visas are not re-issued  because they do not take time to understand the intricacies of the US immigration system as regards to visas. When the embassy issues you a visa, they give you six months and they avail the visa early enough so that you make arrangements and travel early. If you don't travel in 6 months the basic assumption is that any delay is caused by you. They may look at when the visa was issued to you and question why you didn't travel early enough. There is a real possibility they may not extend it. It is not the news you may want to hear but it is what you need to hear.

All this to say that the lawyer is right. Travel as soon as possible so as not to lose this chance. Otherwise you may find yourself in a bind down the line

Actually, contrary to that - an immigration lawyer here in the UK I spoke to had been speaking to our Us embassy here who said it's more than likely K1s will be reissued providing a new medical is performed and the police certificates are valid. 

I dont think you have any more insight into the US immigration system intracacies and visas than any of us do, and I've seen in many of your posts about how people on K1s should have gone for a CR1 visa instead. Well, hindsight is a wonderful, but not particularly helpful thing when absolutely no one could foresee these circumstances. There are SO many factors as to why someone (myself included) opted for a K1 over a CR1 visa, and many K1s have been reissued in the past under very different and not as uncontrollable circumstances, i.e I personally know of someone who had theirs reissued as the timing didnt work out with the sale of their house so your 'insight' doesnt really hold a lot of weight.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
16 hours ago, judyann811 said:

Actually, contrary to that - an immigration lawyer here in the UK I spoke to had been speaking to our Us embassy here who said it's more than likely K1s will be reissued providing a new medical is performed and the police certificates are valid. 

I dont think you have any more insight into the US immigration system intracacies and visas than any of us do, and I've seen in many of your posts about how people on K1s should have gone for a CR1 visa instead. Well, hindsight is a wonderful, but not particularly helpful thing when absolutely no one could foresee these circumstances. There are SO many factors as to why someone (myself included) opted for a K1 over a CR1 visa, and many K1s have been reissued in the past under very different and not as uncontrollable circumstances, i.e I personally know of someone who had theirs reissued as the timing didnt work out with the sale of their house so your 'insight' doesnt really hold a lot of weight.

Mine is not to tell you what you want to hear. Nah, not me.  Mine is to give you things as they are  or could turn out on the ground. Whether it makes sense to you or not, or whether according to you it holds much weigh or not,  is really not my problem. After all, i have nothing to gain or lose from your success or failure.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

We have been in the same situation as you.

My fiance has been trying to get a hold of some people in USCIS for the last couple weeks so that we could get an extension of k1 and k3 visa.

But all the USCIS in america is now closed, all he was able to speak was someone in a law firm working with USCIS and he didn't get any information.

But they adviced him to contact the embassy in Japan (I'm in Japan), so I did. Here's what I got from the embassy, I hope it would help you in some way.

The person of the law firm said that we are not only one who have this problem.

I mean, who wants to fly to america right now.. especially I'm with my daughter.

I and my fiance are pretty sure that we can get an extension for our visa.

20200328_210518.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.