GetOutside

Current k1 visa holders who have not yet immigrated to America

46 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just curious, what are the people who have  recently gotten their k1 visas doing that haven’t immigrated to America yet, but aren’t from a level 3 country? Are you coming now? Waiting till things calm down? We weren’t planning on him moving until May (We have our reasons). We don’t know if it’s smart for him to fly now (from Australia) or stick to our original May plan. I would think things would be under control by then, but would hate for Australia to become level 3 country as they are getting more covid19 cases. Both independent contractors. I’m now not working and he is about to lose his job as well. Really at a loss of what to do. Would love to hear what other people with the same immigration timeline as us are doing. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

If I was in your position I would move before a ban comes in. Australian cases are only going to rise and we haven’t even hit our normal flu season yet! I’m currently awaiting my k1 visa interview on the 31st March but I’m honestly worried that Sydney will go into a lock down and my interview will be cancelled. I wish I could leave now..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Jsg2016 said:

@geowrian @ECCK thank you both for the opinions. We decided to book a flight , he will be here in just a few days. Hope it all goes smoothly 🤞🏻

Good luck and stay safe! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are waiting until things die down. I just hope there's an extension for visa holders in case the ban isn't lifted before expiry dates (mine is 9th July 2020). My US fiancé was supposed to visit me in the UK for 13 days, then we were to go back to the US together on 31st March. We've had to cancel our trip of course. 

(This is the email I received from the London visa medical centre. I hope this helps some people.)

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we are unable to answer any of the below, as we have no information on this.

You need to travel to the US with a valid medical.  As far as we know, the visa should be valid until the medical expires. Medical is valid for 6 months from the day you had it done.

The rest – you will need to get the answers FROM the Embassy, how it is going to work with the ban and all. I know they have a meeting at the Embassy today in afternoon in regards to the current situation, but we do not have any information what is going to happen and how it is going to work.

Kind regards,

Stay safe! 

Extensions of the visa are not possible, unless changes are made. A visa can be reissued, though. This would likely need at least a new medical as the validity period of the visa is constrained by the medical.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

Extensions of the visa are not possible, unless changes are made. A visa can be reissued, though. This would likely need at least a new medical as the validity period of the visa is constrained by the medical.

I'm wondering if they will start requiring coronavirus test for the medical. It wouldn't be particularly useful if the visa is valid for 6 months though... 

Timeline

Hi again all,

I received another reply and just wanted to share it here in hopes to help others. The Consular Information Unit London replied:

=============================================================================

Thank you for your email. We understand your concern regarding visas and travel in light of the coronavirus (COVID-19). We hope that this email will help answer your questions. 

Can I travel to the United States?/What does the recent travel order mean?

Entry is suspended, per Presidential Proclamation, of non-LPR foreign nationals who were present in the People’s Republic of China, not including the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, the Islamic Republic of Iran, the 26 countries that comprise the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or the Republic of Ireland within 14 days prior to their arrival at the port of entry in the United States.  Please review the Presidential Proclamation for detailed information: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus//

The Department of State recommends the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) website regarding COVID-19 for the most up-to-date information https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

The latest travel restriction does not apply to American citizens, legal permanent residents, most immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation. The Department of Homeland Security will direct those who have been in the Schengen Area who are exempt from these restrictions, including American citizens, to travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures. Travelers are advised to visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website, www.dhs.gov/news-releases, for further guidance on U.S. travel restrictions.

Will the U.S. Embassy in London be closing?/Will my visa interview appointment be cancelled?

As of March 17, 2020, the United States Embassy in London is cancelling routine nonimmigrant visa appointments and reducing immigrant visa appointments, and no visa appointments will take place at the Consulate in Belfast. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. 

If you have scheduled a visa interview appointment, the Visa Appointment Service will contact you if your appointment is being postponed. The MRV fee is valid and may be used for a visa application in the country where it was purchased within one year of the date of payment. Please note that visa fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. If you wish to apply for a visa through another Embassy or Consulate, you will be required to pay a new MRV fee and complete a new Form DS-160.

Please monitor our website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/ and the email account you used when registering with the Visa Appointment Service (including any junk or spam folders) for the latest information and any further updates. 

What will happen with my visa application that is currently being processed?

If it is not possible for your visa to be issued prior to the Presidential Proclamation taking effect, your passport will be returned to you. 

If your application is subject to additional administrative processing, or under review pending a decision on a waiver of ineligibility or for any other reason, that will remain the status of your case until you are advised otherwise. 

If information or documentation other than your passport has been requested in connection with a nonimmigrant visa application, you can still send it in. Your case will be reviewed when routine operations resume. However, you should not submit your passport for a nonimmigrant visa case, even if it has been requested from you. 

If any information or documentation has been requested for your immigrant or fiancé(e) visa application, you can still send it in. Your case will be reviewed when routine operations resume.

Can my U.S. visa be extended?

Nonimmigrant visas cannot be extended. However, the majority of nonimmigrant visas are valid for several years. Please check the visa in your passport to confirm the validity period of the visa in your case. Please see the Frequently Asked Questions section of our website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-immigrant-visa-faqs/ for more information about visa and passport validity. If you were issued with a J, O or P visa and it expires, check our website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-reissuance-program/who-is-eligible/ to see if you may qualify to apply for a new visa by courier. All other visa applicants aged 14 to 79 inclusive are required to attend a visa interview appointment when reapplying for a visa.

Immigrant visas cannot be extended. However, if you find that you are unable to travel within the validity period of your visa due to circumstances beyond your control, you can request visa reissuance. You should reply to this message after your unused visa has expired, at which time we will send you information about how to submit your passport, visa package (if applicable) and a letter explaining why you were unable to travel and requesting visa reissuance. Please note that you will be required to undergo a new medical examination and pay a new visa fee before the visa can be reissued. 

Can I have a refund for a U.S. visa that has already been issued?

As explained at the time of fee payment, visa fees are non-refundable. The application fee is levied to cover the costs of adjudicating and processing an application. Please see above for information about visa validity, provided that your new purpose of travel is consistent with the type of visa you hold.

Any other questions

If you have any further questions about visas, please see our website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/, including the Frequently Asked Question (FAQs), for detailed information. If your question is still not answered, please reply to this message. Please note that we will be unable to respond if your question is addressed in this email or on our website. 

If your question is about ESTA or the Visa Waiver Program, please note that those programs are administered by CBP, not by this office. If you have ESTA questions after checking our website (including the FAQs) and the official ESTA website at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ (including the Help section), you can find additional information and contact details for CBP through their Info Center website at https://help.cbp.gov.

If you have general questions about coronavirus (COVID-19), check our website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/covid-19 for a list of useful resources.

If you have question about flights, please contact your airline. 

=============================================================================

Hope this helps others on here.

Ash~

Edited by A&D25612

6 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

I'm wondering if they will start requiring coronavirus test for the medical. It wouldn't be particularly useful if the visa is valid for 6 months though... 

I concur. Maybe they will do so just to say they are doing something, but really the effectiveness of any such test at the medical is near 0 given the disease lifespan.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
14 hours ago, Jsg2016 said:

Just curious, what are the people who have  recently gotten their k1 visas doing that haven’t immigrated to America yet, but aren’t from a level 3 country? Are you coming now? Waiting till things calm down? We weren’t planning on him moving until May (We have our reasons). We don’t know if it’s smart for him to fly now (from Australia) or stick to our original May plan. I would think things would be under control by then, but would hate for Australia to become level 3 country as they are getting more covid19 cases. Both independent contractors. I’m now not working and he is about to lose his job as well. Really at a loss of what to do. Would love to hear what other people with the same immigration timeline as us are doing. 

In the world of US immigration and Politics there is no guarantee 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

decided to come ASAP. my fiance is on the plane right now. 

I-751 Removal of Conditions Timeline:

April 15, 2023 Mailed via USPS

April 17, 2023 Delivered by USPS

April 20, 2023 Received text message with case number (IOE)

April 22, 2023 Case status updated to "My Case is Being Actively Reviewed by USCIS"

April 27, 2023 Received two letters 1) Notice to set up online account 2) Notice that Biometrics will be reused

May 01, 2023 Received 48-month extension letter

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Fabercham said:

I was due to fly next week and my visa expires in May. Just so sad about it all...I’m from UK so can’t get there 

I feel your pain!  😭  Let's hope the ban doesn't last that long. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.