chs_

AOS pending tax return jointly

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi,

I came to the US in May 2019 with K-1 visa, and got married in Jun 2019. We sent my AOS documents in Aug 2019.

I got my EAD and SSN in Dec 2019.

My AOS is still pending now. 

Our CPA said we can do tax return jointly but he isn’t sure I am okay with immigrant law if I do tax return with my husband(jointly) because my AOS is still pending. 
(We know I am a residence in tax law.)

so my question is,

is there nothing problem to get my green card if I do tax return jointly? 

Thank you for your helping! 

How you file taxes does not affect the GC process unless you provide a tax return showing your petitioner filed as single (as your tax return is proof of your marriage/"commingling of finances" and you may be questioned why you did not file as married"). You dont have to be a GC Holder to file as married filing jointly. In fact, you don't even have to be in the US.

Get a new CPA versed in immigrant taxes. They are not.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
16 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

How you file taxes does not affect the GC process unless you provide a tax return showing your petitioner filed as single (as your tax return is proof of your marriage/"commingling of finances" and you may be questioned why you did not file as married"). You dont have to be a GC Holder to file as married filing jointly. In fact, you don't even have to be in the US.

Get a new CPA versed in immigrant taxes. They are not.

This 👆is true, get a new CPA or file by yourself as married jointly on turbotax or other software.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
1 minute ago, cd37 said:

This 👆is true, get a new CPA or file by yourself as married jointly on turbotax or other software.

Oh I forgot to write one thing...

I had income for one and half months before I came to the US.

I couldn’t get W-2 from overseas. 
Our CPA said we can still do tax return jointly if I pay income tax for my overseas income. 

Even if I pay income tax for my overseas income, doing tax return jointly is better than separately. (yes we can get more money through the tax return jointly.)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
20 minutes ago, chs_ said:

Our CPA said we can still do tax return jointly if I pay income tax for my overseas income. 

Even if I pay income tax for my overseas income, doing tax return jointly is better than separately. (yes we can get more money through the tax return jointly.)

you file form 2555 for income less than $105,000 earned outsdide the US 

and do fire that CPA as you are married and have you SS # 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

I may be off the mark here completely, but my impression would be that if you had income outside of the US *prior* to your immigrating to the US, and prior to you being considered an immigrant, then you are not liable for US taxes on that income.

Ie. you are liable for taxes on all income once you are considered an immigrant or citizen of the US - but until you have arrived in the US as an immigrant, you cannot be held liable for taxes on income at that time.  Once you are a resident or citizen, you are liable for US taxes on worldwide income.

Again - don't take this as official legal advise, but my understanding is that the law is set up that way...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 minutes ago, jkstark said:

I may be off the mark here completely, but my impression would be that if you had income outside of the US *prior* to your immigrating to the US, and prior to you being considered an immigrant, then you are not liable for US taxes on that income.

Ie. you are liable for taxes on all income once you are considered an immigrant or citizen of the US - but until you have arrived in the US as an immigrant, you cannot be held liable for taxes on income at that time.  Once you are a resident or citizen, you are liable for US taxes on worldwide income.

Again - don't take this as official legal advise, but my understanding is that the law is set up that way...

But they want to file jointly.. better double check your sources 

YMMV

*~*~*moved to “tax and finance”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

50 minutes ago, jkstark said:

A resident alien for immigration purposes is not the same thing as a resident alien for tax purposes.

In order to file as MFJ, if you do not meet the two residency tests, you can claim resident alien status for tax purposes (whether you live in the US or not) using the first year choice rule BUT you must report all world wide income on a Form 2555 (you do not need earnings statements from the foreign countries to report). If it's below $105,900 USD equivalent (for 2019), you wont be taxed on it.

50 minutes ago, jkstark said:

Not true.

1 hour ago, chs_ said:

False. See my comment above this. 

As long as you didn't earn over $105,900 it wont be taxed in the US. You dont need proof of your overseas income.

(Really, seriously, fire that guy).

1 hour ago, chs_ said:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Change the CPA.

File jointly - not e-file because you will be adding a document saying you chose to be treated as a "resident for tax purposes". you only need to do this part this year, then you can file normal.

Put your income then use foreign income exclusion.

To be honest this is it. For the income just use the amount written on your Japan tax  return (or if you don't have or did not get it when leaving japan, just put the total of your paychecks when you were there) and check the yearly average to be used for exchange rates for this purposes on IRS website.

It is rather east but that CPA has no clue what he's doing in this case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you came to the US in May 2019, you won't qualify for 2555 foreign income exclusion since you were in the US for more than six months last year.  You're a resident of the US for tax purposes.  Just add your foreign income estimated in US dollars to your spouse's income from their W2.  Find a new accountant or do it yourself.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, Naes said:

Change the CPA.

File jointly - not e-file because you will be adding a document saying you chose to be treated as a "resident for tax purposes". you only need to do this part this year, then you can file normal.

Put your income then use foreign income exclusion.

To be honest this is it. For the income just use the amount written on your Japan tax  return (or if you don't have or did not get it when leaving japan, just put the total of your paychecks when you were there) and check the yearly average to be used for exchange rates for this purposes on IRS website.

It is rather east but that CPA has no clue what he's doing in this case.

Now you can e-file a Return with the Federal Election to File Joint Return with Nonresident Alien Spouse. 

I believe IRS updated this in 2018 . So now, there is another box  under Filing Status -  MFJ: Elect to file joint return with nonresident alien spouse. And  once you check that, the Federal election Form "Election to file Joint Return with nonresident Alien Spouse" fills out automatically. 

Edited by Ksenia_O

19 hours ago, chs_ said:

Hi,

I came to the US in May 2019 with K-1 visa, and got married in Jun 2019. We sent my AOS documents in Aug 2019.

I got my EAD and SSN in Dec 2019.

My AOS is still pending now. 

Our CPA said we can do tax return jointly but he isn’t sure I am okay with immigrant law if I do tax return with my husband(jointly) because my AOS is still pending. 
(We know I am a residence in tax law.)

so my question is,

is there nothing problem to get my green card if I do tax return jointly? 

Thank you for your helping! 

Fire your CPA!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

Now you can e-file a Return with the Federal Election to File Joint Return with Nonresident Alien Spouse. 

I believe IRS updated this in 2018 . So now, there is another box  under Filing Status -  MFJ: Elect to file joint return with nonresident alien spouse. And  once you check that, the Federal election Form "Election to file Joint Return with nonresident Alien Spouse" fills out automatically. 

That is different than applying to be count as “resident for tax purposes”

non-resident and resident for tax purposes is very different overall

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.