14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

You pick no since you don't want them to issue you a card.

okay thank you for the clarification!😁

5 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Enter your SSN in 13b and check no for 14

thank you! 😁 just wanted to make sure I check the right box 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, keigenn said:

okay thank you for the clarification!😁

thank you! 😁 just wanted to make sure I check the right box 

This is not a  k1 question but adjustment of status,  time to graduate to a new forum 

YMMV

~~moved to AOS from family based process and procedures from K1 progress reports~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

If you changed your last name via AOS i believe you check yes so they will send you a new card (same number) but SSN will have your married name. That's my understanding at least (mine is still pending) but I also already have SSN, but in maiden name

My K1 Visa Timeline:                                                                 My AOS Timeline:

NOA1 - June 15, 2018                                                                NOA - Nov. 8, 2019

My K1 visa interview - April 3, 2019 = APPROVED!! :D       EAD & AP approved - Feb. 6, 2020

Visa on hand - April 8, 2019                                                      EAD/AP combo card & SSN card in married name received - Feb. 13, 2020

US entry - July 31, 2019                                                             Green card interview scheduled - August 11, 2020

Our wedding day - Oct. 14, 2019 ❤️                                        Green card interview - September 10, 2020 = APPROVED! :D

Green card received - September 16, 2020

My ROC Timeline

NOA - July 14, 2022

Fingerprints Were Taken NOA - August 2, 2022

4 hours ago, NicoleM said:

If you changed your last name via AOS i believe you check yes so they will send you a new card (same number) but SSN will have your married name. That's my understanding at least (mine is still pending) but I also already have SSN, but in maiden name

Yep. Social security told us this when we went to get my wife’s new card. They said we could have just checked yes and they would have issued a new card in her married name. We had no idea. 

Timeline
23 hours ago, NicoleM said:

I applied for SSN after we got married so I guess i’ll check “no”?

Timeline
1 hour ago, keigenn said:

I applied for SSN after we got married so I guess i’ll check “no”?

Is your current SSN in the name you want to use? If its in your maiden name and you want change your last name (which is done by applying for AOS in married name), check yes and they will send you a new SSN card in married name. 

or did you already get SSN in married name? I was under the impression that you can't do that until EAD approval, which is done in married name if you applied for it with your married name, but maybe i'm mistaken

Edited by NicoleM

My K1 Visa Timeline:                                                                 My AOS Timeline:

NOA1 - June 15, 2018                                                                NOA - Nov. 8, 2019

My K1 visa interview - April 3, 2019 = APPROVED!! :D       EAD & AP approved - Feb. 6, 2020

Visa on hand - April 8, 2019                                                      EAD/AP combo card & SSN card in married name received - Feb. 13, 2020

US entry - July 31, 2019                                                             Green card interview scheduled - August 11, 2020

Our wedding day - Oct. 14, 2019 ❤️                                        Green card interview - September 10, 2020 = APPROVED! :D

My ROC Timeline

NOA - July 14, 2022

Timeline
1 hour ago, NicoleM said:

Is your current SSN in the name you want to use? If its in your maiden name and you want change your last name (which is done by applying for AOS in married name), check yes and they will send you a new SSN card in married name. 

or did you already get SSN in married name? I was under the impression that you can't do that until EAD approval, which is done in married name if you applied for it with your married name, but maybe i'm mistaken

I applied and got my SSN after I got married. So the name on my SSN is already my married name. And yes, you may apply for SSN before EAD gets approved

Edited by keigenn

Timeline
1 hour ago, keigenn said:

I applied and got my SSN after I got married. So the name on my SSN is already my married name. And yes, you may apply for SSN before EAD gets approved

oh interesting. I expect to get my EAD+SSN in married name in the next 1.5 months so I'll just wait it out but good to know for others

My ROC Timeline

NOA - July 14, 2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

my case is more complicated.

I applied for SSN last month with my maiden name, and still not received it. changed my name after getting married, and now file for AOS.

so i checked "yes" in question 13, and check "yes" for issuing a SSN card. and noted down on the extra info page that i applied for SSN already

Want to know more about apply for K1 VISA / Green card in TAIWAN? come visit my blog https://summerprincess.pixnet.net/blog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Even if you check "no", once you get your green card, you should go to the SS office and show it your green card and apply for a replacement. This way the new green card will not be annotated with "valid for work only with DHS authorization".

This is useful because if you ever lose your green card, the SS card without the annotation plus state photo ID is enough for the I-9 form for employment.

And also, each time your status changes, you are supposed to go to the SS office anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.