Mamuu

Hard finding a job.2 months down the line!

62 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi members..How long did it take you to settle and find a job here..I'm in texas.Came through cr1.its been 2 months two weeks and not been successful getting a job.

It's a bit frustrating!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It took me 17 months.  In the interim, I had to settle for other jobs.  Some markets are tough.

Keep at it though. 

What field? What's your employment history? How's the market for jobs in your field in your area?

It really varies a lot. My wife was offered 2 positions right away. She's a nurse and there's a shortage of nurses in my area.

Somebody who works as - just one example - a business/office manager may have a harder time as approaches and methods may be different. They may have to take a position lower than what they had before and work their way back up. They may even need to work in other fields for a bit.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

I applied for different positions from my home country the moment I had my visa and knew when I would move. Skype interviews late at night due to the time difference, crazy times! 😁

Had my live job interview 3 days after I arrived and a started my job 2 weeks after arrival. It’s not a job like I had ‘back home’ but at least it’s a job and I kind of knew I had to start my career from scratch again.. 😉

Good luck and stay positive! 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

What field? What's your employment history? How's the market for jobs in your field in your area?

It really varies a lot. My wife was offered 2 positions right away. She's a nurse and there's a shortage of nurses in my area.

Somebody who works as - just one example - a business/office manager may have a harder time as approaches and methods may be different. They may have to take a position lower than what they had before and work their way back up. They may even need to work in other fields for a bit.

Human resources. I will keep positive and not be too choosy..I believe once I know the systems I will climb my way up.Thanks

25 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Surprising to hear, with overall unemployment being <3%.

😭I will keep on applying. Thanks

Timeline
1 hour ago, Danny10 said:

November/December are generally slow for job hunting. Hopefully things get better for you in the coming weeks.

Thanks a lot.its kinda frustrating

1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

What field

Human resources 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Daphne K said:

I applied for different positions from my home country the moment I had my visa and knew when I would move. Skype interviews late at night due to the time difference, crazy times! 😁

Had my live job interview 3 days after I arrived and a started my job 2 weeks after arrival. It’s not a job like I had ‘back home’ but at least it’s a job and I kind of knew I had to start my career from scratch again.. 😉

Good luck and stay positive! 

Thanks.I will keep positive.Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Mamuu said:

Human resources. I will keep positive and not be too choosy..I believe once I know the systems I will climb my way up.Thanks

😭I will keep on applying. Thanks

Not sure if you would be interested, but Costco is a great employer.  They have great benefits and a living wage.  Everyone starts at the bottom, but they promote/hire from within.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, USS_Voyager said:

What field are you in and where are you located?  That can be the two biggest factor. The US is very very big and as a result different industries tend to concentrate on certain areas and outside of those areas, it’s very difficult to find a job. 

I'm in houston texas.Human resources

1 minute ago, Mamuu said:

I'm in houston texas.Human resources

Well, I'm sure there is a Costco there.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Not sure if you would be interested, but Costco is a great employer.  They have great benefits and a living wage.  Everyone starts at the bottom, but they promote/hire from within.  

Oh thanks a lot.let me check it out right away.Im ready to start from the bottom,I understand it can not be same as my country..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.