NJShoreMom

i-485 accepted i-765 rejected (stupid reason)

13 posts in this topic

Timeline

the drama continues.  Anyone have this happen?

They finally texted us and cashed our check....a full 30 days after they received it....for our i-485.  Wonderful holiday gift, right?

not so fast....yestarday in the mail they sent us back our application for i-765 because the last 3 pages were left out (the ones about did you use a lawyer, did you use an interpreter, blah blah blah) which were irrelevent and would have been left blank anyway.  Ok fair but not fair, I get it, story of my life.

But there was also another paragraph stating "improper or missing filing fee"  (removed) they cashed our check plus its all included in the low price of $1225!  Called USCIS and pretty much they were no help so today a level too will call me back in ...  wait for it ... 512 minutes.  Yes folks you heard correct 512 minutes.  Which I doubt anyone will be there it being NYE..

I know this is a simple fix but its soooo frustrating especially since we already waited 30 days for the i-485 package to be accepted!  Anyone else have this happen and if so how was it handled?

Thanks and Happy blessed NEW YEAR to everyone!

Edited by Unlockable

*** One post edited to remove inappropriate language

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Donald120383 said:

is this a new year vent or is there a question ? clearly you skipped the 3 pages you were supposed to file 

I guess a bit of both.  If you read I clearly owned up to the mistake of omitting the last 3 pages.  My vent/question was why would they say there was improper filing fee when the fee was included in the i-485.

Happy New Year

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

At the very least, re-filing the I-765 will be free so I guess that's nice? It's just an issue of the delay, which obviously isn't ideal.

2 hours ago, NJShoreMom said:

I guess a bit of both.  If you read I clearly owned up to the mistake of omitting the last 3 pages.  My vent/question was why would they say there was improper filing fee when the fee was included in the i-485.

Happy New Year

That's common when you dont reference in your three separate cover pages that you are filing concurrently. We don't know if they are received by the same person so they wont know you are filing concurrently unless you spell it out for them in your separate cover letters.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, NJShoreMom said:

Happy New Year

The letter is probably generic. Ignore that and refile when you get NOA 1 for AOS in the mail 

The filing fee piece is not applicable here, so long as you selected the correct category: (c)(9). If you selected another category...say (a)(6) - a common mistake for K-1 holders - then the fee does apply and the EAD would only be valid for the original 90 days from POE (so totally unusable).

Just refile with a proper I-765 packet. Include a copy of the I-485's NOA 1 in lieu of payment.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

22 hours ago, NJShoreMom said:

the drama continues.

What drama? That you had to wait for 4 weeks to get a confirmation of receipt, in a holiday month? That is not out of the ordinary. 

Of course they don't except an incomplete form; they won't be able to tell if those sections don't apply to you or if they do but you forgot to include them. 

If you selected the correct category, like @geowrian explained, you can just resend the complete I-765 with your I-485 NOA1.

This process is very slow, try to relax and don't get frustrated. Frustration will only make it harder. 

512 minutes of waiting??

I guess government workers don't get to enjoy holidays ????  And you were the only person int he whole US calling yesterday right??

Edited by chi6488

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

no more drama just facts.  Today we received our hard copy of the NO1.  They spelled his last name wrong 😕

Yes we are calling.

It happened to me. They just told me to fix it at the interview.

Edited by Ayrton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.