emma24

Beneficiary (male) changing last name

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

So this is more of a hypothetical question rather than something we definitely want to do.

My fiance is thinking about changing his last name once he is in the US. His name is currently two separate words (ex. Mc Coy) and he would like to combine them into one (ex. McCoy). I would like to take his last name after our marriage so what would be the best course of action to change his name once he's in the US and before we get married. Is it worth the hassle?? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
3 minutes ago, emma24 said:

So this is more of a hypothetical question rather than something we definitely want to do.

My fiance is thinking about changing his last name once he is in the US. His name is currently two separate words (ex. Mc Coy) and he would like to combine them into one (ex. McCoy). I would like to take his last name after our marriage so what would be the best course of action to change his name once he's in the US and before we get married. Is it worth the hassle?? 

Maybe change it back home before the interview if there is enough time?

Once in the USA he will need court order to change it and then get married so you can take his new last name on the marridge certificate. 

Not sure how long all of this would take but probably if he really wants it he should do it before USCIS issues him EAD, GC etc because changing those will take forever

My understanding is that when you marry you can change your name to anything you want, so you may be able to both rewrite your names as you want them on your marriage license. I'm not 100% certain but it could be something to look into. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Maybe change it back home before the interview if there is enough time?

Once in the USA he will need court order to change it and then get married so you can take his new last name on the marridge certificate. 

Not sure how long all of this would take but probably if he really wants it he should do it before USCIS issues him EAD, GC etc because changing those will take forever

Yeah, I am just concerned about time really. He doesn't care how his name is spelled. He just thinks it would be easier for him in the US to have a traditional one word last name. 

3 minutes ago, Sarah G said:

My understanding is that when you marry you can change your name to anything you want, so you may be able to both rewrite your names as you want them on your marriage license. I'm not 100% certain but it could be something to look into. 

I didn't even think about that! I'll definitely look into that! Would make it easier on us for sure if that's the case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Sarah G said:

Definitely worth a try, but I think a lot of it depends on the state they are going to live in + I am pretty sure there are rules about it, so probably you can't do anything you want.

6 minutes ago, emma24 said:

My fiance is thinking about changing his last name once he is in the US.

Every state/municipality/jurisdiction has a form/petition for you to change your name legally. You just have to find that out, fill the form, pay the fee. It'll probably have to go through a review process to make sure nothing too crazy is being proposed ( You wouldn't believe the number of people who wants to change their name to Satan, or Adolf Hitler,.... )

9 minutes ago, emma24 said:

I would like to take his last name after our marriage so what would be the best course of action to change his name once he's in the US and before we get married

You change your name once you get married. The marriage certificate is the proof that you can take his last name. 

10 minutes ago, emma24 said:

Is it worth the hassle?? 

No, why on Earth you'd want to do that. It'll take so much paperwork, hassles, trips to the many different places (SSN, banks, driver license, ... ). I don't understand why people has to change their name? Why can you just keep the name you have, and just introduce yourself as whatever you want to be called. "Hi my name is Li-Xi Yang, but I go by Andrew. Please call me Andrew, Andrew Yang"

Timeline
37 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

No, why on Earth you'd want to do that. It'll take so much paperwork, hassles, trips to the many different places (SSN, banks, driver license, ... ). I don't understand why people has to change their name? Why can you just keep the name you have, and just introduce yourself as whatever you want to be called. "Hi my name is Li-Xi Yang, but I go by Andrew. Please call me Andrew, Andrew Yang"

Well I was really wondering if there was a place where doing it would make the most sense (like a form we could file along with something else). So if we can really just place his new last name on our marriage license and then change his ss card and passport then that would be ideal!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Sarah G said:

That’s only for the last name if one spouse is taking another spouse’s last name. If changing the first name, regardless of marriage, i believe one has to go through legal name change process.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
15 minutes ago, arken said:

That’s only for the last name if one spouse is taking another spouse’s last name. If changing the first name, regardless of marriage, i believe one has to go through legal name change process.

we'd only want to change our last names.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
17 minutes ago, emma24 said:

we'd only want to change our last names.

But he will be changing his last name on his own which would probably require him to go thru the court process.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

On a federal level, there are only certain name changes that can happen as a result of marriage, and they all involve changing to the spouse's last name or combining last names (regardless of gender). All other changes need to be processed locally as a legal name change.

I would have his name change processed before immigration if at all possible.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, arken said:

But he will be changing his last name on his own which would probably require him to go thru the court process.

I see. I am just going to phone my courthouse where we will apply for our marriage license and ask. Isn't going to hurt!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can casually GO by any name or spelling you want to. I used my maiden name for YEARS after i left my ex. My name was not changed legally. The only thing my legal (married name) was on were my ID/ banking/ utilities/ financial/ tax information. Basically legal or credit things. At work i went by my maiden name (my pay check was in my married name, people learned i was the same person). With friends and social media, I went by my maiden name (which caused an interesting delay one time for my husband, then fiance, as he was crossing the border and my name didnt come up in their records, until he remembered it wasnt my legal name, then he had problems spelling it LMAO - all was well in the end though lolol)

With something as minor as a space in between letters, its not going to make a difference. For legal docs, just include the space.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

We had that issue too.  The legal government documents are all correct.  Our last name has a space too...Di XXXX.  However, many organizations on their own, including banks....decided that the Di was our middle name.  ugh.  Once our daughter started school...I just made it DiXXXX one word.  Now, I just write it that way.  It has never been a problem in 15 years married.

Edited by JT4/25

Joyce

2/10/04 - interview date!!!!!!!Got Visa!!!!

3/11/04 - Massimo arrived in USA...Hurray!!!

4/25/04 - Happily Married in New Jersey

5/12/04 - starting AOS papers

5/17/04 - Mailed I-485, 131, (certified mail) to Newark

7/12/04 - Biometrics for AOS done in NYC

2/1/05 - received interview letter for May 16, 2005

5/16/05 - Successful (and fast) AOS interview in Cherry Hill!!!

I751

3/1/07 - mailed I751 package to VSC - regular mail

3/7/07 - cashed 205.00 check

3/9/07 - cashed 70.00 biometrics check

3/16/07 - received blue receipt notice for biometrics fee

3/24/07 - received NOA extending GC for another year

3/24/07 - received Biometrics appointment letter

4/6/07 - Biometrics appointment in Newark at 9am

4/7/07 - touched

4/11/07 - touched

9/28/07 - email received...Card production ordered!

10/4/07 - received congratulations letter in the mail

10/09/07 - 10 year green card received

Timeline
44 minutes ago, JT4/25 said:

We had that issue too.  The legal government documents are all correct.  Our last name has a space too...Di XXXX.  However, many organizations on their own, including banks....decided that the Di was our middle name.  ugh.  Once our daughter started school...I just made it DiXXXX one word.  Now, I just write it that way.  It has never been a problem in 15 years married.

That's what I am concerned about here in the US. Many organizations may not recognize a two word last name but I suppose we will deal with that when the time comes. We decided to not change it as it would be a big headache to get him a new Norwegian passport once he is in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.