EliAnon

SSN K1 AOS

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sarge2155 said:

Failure to apply for the SSN is the underlying issue and as many have said you don't need a SSN to get insurance. You might have to do it by phone (that's what I had to do) then update once the SSN is here.

Im contacting my HR at my new workplace. I did not realize that I had ‘70-90’ days to apply for an ssn. So much to do and remember with this process. Are you saying contact your organization or contact the organizations insurance provider?

32 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

What you need to do is understand that she doesn't need a SSN to get insurance.

Contact he insurance company and/or employer and press the issue. Escalate. Insist.  Ask to talk to someone else until you talk to someone who knows what they are doing.

Alright I will give it a shot, I will escalate it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I added my husband to my US health and dental insurance a week after we got married in Brazil so he didn't have a SSN.  A SSN is not needed for someone to get health or dental insurance in the US.  Name and date of birth is all you need to add your spouse to your employer's health and dental plans.  Maybe a copy of your marriage certificate to HR.

16 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

Im contacting my HR at my new workplace. I did not realize that I had ‘70-90’ days to apply for an ssn. So much to do and remember with this process. Are you saying contact your organization or contact the organizations insurance provider?

Contact both entities usually you can go online and send a secure message directly to the insurance company  or call. I would call them. Just  give your employer a heads  up and make sure your employer updates your martial status.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

1 hour ago, EliAnon said:

This...There is somebody in your HR chain that knows how to do this. You just have to keep (politely) pushing. I was able to add my wife without an SSN. We had major difficulties with SSA. You may get your Green Card before EAD. We did. I'm not sure if Indy is backed up or not.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from K1 P&P - The OP is asking about the lack of a ssn for health insurance.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

Contact both entities usually you can go online and send a secure message directly to the insurance company  or call. I would call them. Just  give your employer a heads  up and make sure your employer updates your martial status.

I added my husband today and they go retro back to the day we were married. We had 30 days to supply a marriage certificate and change to a family plan. 
My form “literally” asks for a SSN for myself, my two kids, and for him. 
I had to fight it as well as they told me that they would drop him within those days. 
They said it’s needed to report to gvt. 
You may get pushback as I did but supplied certificate and that he’s applied for his ss, showed proof of this and will update his number once issued. 
Good Luck. Many HR associates nor their plan adjusters understand this so stay on them and don’t take no. 

5 hours ago, EliAnon said:

What about Dental? Im going to check the marketplace for health. Cause from what ive gathered from my 26yrs in this nation and anywhere really, as a civilization we don’t recognize dental as healthcare so to speak.

Dental is different and not really an insurance that falls under ACA rules. Still, in general no one has the actual right to demand or deny service because of not providing them a personal number that only a government agency can issue and only a government agency only has the legal right to ask for. Companies have policies. But when it involves health insurance that falls under ACA regulations, an SSN not being given is not a requirement. Employees of insurance companies typically get the rules wrong.

I cannot say for certain what a dental insurance will require. From personal experience, I recall in my early 20s needing extensive dental work and sedated oral surgery, and I did not have dental insurance. Most dentists do offer payment plans via a company called CareCredit, you'd need to work that out up front. Cost me about 5 grand but I paid it off slowly. Most of my childhood we never had any dental insurance for myself or my parents. All had to be paid out of pocket. For root canal and the rest you're probably talking about 1200-1500, at least from my own experience with my mom needing one. I'd say a lot of Americans don't have dental insurance and just pay out of pocket. It has dubious coverage unless you have a really good plan and not every dentist works with certain plans. Did not get dental insurance until two years ago in fact. Hope you find something that works for you.

Still, you don't need an SSN to get your spouse health insurance. So that's a positive.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
7 hours ago, EliAnon said:

Wife entered the US in March. We got married in May, didn’t apply for SSN two weeks after arrival. Now we are entering December without her having an SSN which means no insurance going on 9 months. While she needs to see some doctors, to me it seems asinine that immigrants who are married to a citizen are unable to have an SSN until the reception of their green card.

Unless there is another way to get it, which is my question for this topic. I would love to put her on my insurance at work which isn’t possible without an SSN. If there is no other way, then why not? Shouldn’t the government want to know who is here by assigning them a unique identification number? Especially when all signals point to that person becoming a US citizen.

Thank you.

You shouldn’t need a SSN for insurance. I entered in April and my husband and I got married in May. Like you guys we didn’t apply for my ssn within 2 weeks. Once we got married it was a chance in his circumstance so he could add me straight away to insurance with absolutely no issue. I’ve been to the doctors several times and had no problem. 

In terms of SSN after AOS or EAD is approved, call your local social security office. Even though we ticked the option to receive my SSN once EAD was approved, we since found out that I need to go into the office to get one. 

Good luck to you guys, I hope it gets a little easier soon 

Fix this before open enrollment ends, otherwise you will find yourself outside the boundaries for life change Event and you will have to wait until the next open enrollment, it’s ok to be frustrated but don’t burn yourself by missing a rapidly closing eligibility window

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, boris64 said:

This...There is somebody in your HR chain that knows how to do this. You just have to keep (politely) pushing. I was able to add my wife without an SSN. We had major difficulties with SSA. You may get your Green Card before EAD. We did. I'm not sure if Indy is backed up or not.

Really!?   That is so weird.

When my wife completed AOS her EAD card arrived about a month before the green card, of course at that time the green card was only taking 3-4 months and she got her green in about 3 months.   

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
20 hours ago, EliAnon said:

Wife entered the US in March. We got married in May, didn’t apply for SSN two weeks after arrival. Now we are entering December without her having an SSN which means no insurance going on 9 months. While she needs to see some doctors, to me it seems asinine that immigrants who are married to a citizen are unable to have an SSN until the reception of their green card.

Unless there is another way to get it, which is my question for this topic. I would love to put her on my insurance at work which isn’t possible without an SSN. If there is no other way, then why not? Shouldn’t the government want to know who is here by assigning them a unique identification number? Especially when all signals point to that person becoming a US citizen.

Thank you.

No SSN needed for health insurance.  As far as the SSN goes, please try and get it ASAP. 

On 11/26/2019 at 3:44 AM, Hank_ said:

Really!?   That is so weird.

When my wife completed AOS her EAD card arrived about a month before the green card, of course at that time the green card was only taking 3-4 months and she got her green in about 3 months.   

EAD/AP is taking up to six months now. GC can be faster depending on your local office. My wife finally got her SS Card in the mail on Monday))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
25 minutes ago, boris64 said:

EAD/AP is taking up to six months now. GC can be faster depending on your local office. My wife finally got her SS Card in the mail on Monday))

Ya a couple months after my wife finished with AOS times jumped to 8-12 mos for the green card.  When she completed ROC it was fast, then the times jumped for that also.    Seems like she was just in front of the slow down all the way through, even citizenship was completed in under 4 months.

She completed dual citizenship during one of our trips to the Phils, and that turned into a cluster ... 

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.