TexasGuy0101

Is it necessary bring all time the Green Card?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am October 2018 filer and received my Green Card in September in the Approval letter said for law it is necessary I bring with me all time? I read in Uscis page and there say that also but I worry about I could loss it if I bring with me all time 

thank you for your opinion 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/do-i-really-need-carry-green-card-me.html

"If you are 18 or older, you do have to carry your green card with you. Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.) requires all lawful permanent residents (LPRs) to have “at all times” official evidence of LPR status."

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, missileman said:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/do-i-really-need-carry-green-card-me.html

"If you are 18 or older, you do have to carry your green card with you. Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.) requires all lawful permanent residents (LPRs) to have “at all times” official evidence of LPR status."

I wonder if this is actually enforced though. There's the law according to the books and then there's what actually happens day in and day out. I wonder if those are the same here. I don't bring my green card, but my EAD still has not expired (although now obviously invalid) so I take that in my wallet instead. Avoids the risk of losing my green card, but still shows some evidence of status in case I am ever asked.

Edited by Teemo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Teemo said:

I wonder if this is actually enforced though. There's the law according to the books and then there's what actually happens day in and day out. I wonder if those are the same here. I don't bring my green card, but my EAD still has not expired (although now obviously invalid) so I take that in my wallet instead. Avoids the risk of losing my green card, but still shows some evidence of status in case I am ever asked.

We ran into a mobile CBP checkpoint and was sure thankful that my ex had her GC on her 

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

We ran into a mobile CBP checkpoint and was sure thankful that my ex had her GC on her 

Fair enough. Where was the checkpoint?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
1 minute ago, Teemo said:

Fair enough. Where was the checkpoint?

Typically the federal officers/agents of ICE and CBP are the main LEOs that can ask to see your GC if you are a LPR. Local LEOs don't usually bother with INA enforcement. The prez has signed an executive order directing ICE and CBP agents to start an "enhanced enforcement program." It has been known for some time that CBP has been operating mobile checkpoints in states near our southern border. Recently ICE agents were raiding egg farms in Minnesota for illegal or undocumented aliens. So there are federal immigration agents roaming our northern and southern borders. You can also run into ICE and CBP agents at the nation's domestic airports on the look-out for undocumented or illegal aliens. You may be lucky and never run into them. However, if you do, and if you do not have proper documentation, you could be detained until you are able to have a hearing before an immigration law judge. So, do you feel lucky, or live in a "sanctuary" area? You can do a Google search to find out about sanctuary cities and counties.

YMMV

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

Typically the federal officers/agents of ICE and CBP are the main LEOs that can ask to see your GC if you are a LPR. Local LEOs don't usually bother with INA enforcement. The prez has signed an executive order directing ICE and CBP agents to start an "enhanced enforcement program." It has been known for some time that CBP has been operating mobile checkpoints in states near our southern border. Recently ICE agents were raiding egg farms in Minnesota for illegal or undocumented aliens. So there are federal immigration agents roaming our northern and southern borders. You can also run into ICE and CBP agents at the nation's domestic airports on the look-out for undocumented or illegal aliens. You may be lucky and never run into them. However, if you do, and if you do not have proper documentation, you could be detained until you are able to have a hearing before an immigration law judge. So, do you feel lucky, or live in a "sanctuary" area? You can do a Google search to find out about sanctuary cities and counties.

YMMV

You're not wrong, but you're making it seem more likely than it is, outside of border towns and states. I've lived in the US for 19 years now and taken dozens of domestic flights, with zero people asking me for my papers outside of my jobs on my first day, and international customs. My office building is not likely to be raided. At the same time, yes, checkpoints do exist. I wouldn't call it "lucky." It's just unlikely outside of border states like Texas, Arizona, border cities like San Diego etc.  Lastly, I carry around my driver's license and my EAD, neither of which are past the expiration date listed on the card, so I think I'll be fine in my situation. 

Edited by Teemo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration Discussion, from AOS Family - The AOS process is done the OP has his GC~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
14 hours ago, Teemo said:

You either follow the law or you don't.  If you choose not to follow the law, you take a risk of a fine, 30 days in jail,  and a great deal of unneeded hassle.......It's your call....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
14 hours ago, Teemo said:

You're not wrong, but you're making it seem more likely than it is, outside of border towns and states. I've lived in the US for 19 years now and taken dozens of domestic flights, with zero people asking me for my papers outside of my jobs on my first day, and international customs. My office building is not likely to be raided. At the same time, yes, checkpoints do exist. I wouldn't call it "lucky." It's just unlikely outside of border states like Texas, Arizona, border cities like San Diego etc.  Lastly, I carry around my driver's license and my EAD, neither of which are past the expiration date listed on the card, so I think I'll be fine in my situation. 

It's not about how many times people encounter the scenario where an LPR has to produce the proof. It doesn't matter if the possibility of encountering this scenario is only 1%, if it happens to you (by you, I mean anyone) then you have to face consequences. It is never a good idea to advise someone not to follow the instructions, because if OP doesn't carry the GC with them all the time and they encounter the situation where they have to provide the proof, they will face the consequences.

Edited by Tanish

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

Timeline
1 hour ago, missileman said:

You either follow the law or you don't.  If you choose not to follow the law, you take a risk of a fine, 30 days in jail,  and a great deal of unneeded hassle.......It's your call....

I can tell you many things, in immigration law, or otherwise, where what is on the books is not what is happening in real life. Yea, if people are getting 30 days in jail for the sole reason that they are not having their GC, then yea we should all carry our GCs. My point is, IDK if that is actually happening or not. There's a reason there is a concept of "case law" vs. "on the books law."  Between my valid driver's license and EAD where the expiration date is beyond today's date, I don't think I'll get 30 days in jail if someone asks for proof of being here legally. If I learn otherwise, then I am wrong and will carry my GC always. Pointing to something that may never be enforced (which is an open question) isn't making the point you think it is. 

Edited by Teemo

My wife was asked for hers during a LEO traffic stop in Illinois.  My fault as the driver.

We live near the border, actually go to Mexico often, so she just has it in her purse. . .  and a copy on her phone.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Teemo said:

I can tell you many things, in immigration law, or otherwise, where what is on the books is not what is happening in real life. Yea, if people are getting 30 days in jail for the sole reason that they are not having their GC, then yea we should all carry our GCs. My point is, IDK if that is actually happening or not. There's a reason there is a concept of "case law" vs. "on the books law."  Between my valid driver's license and EAD where the expiration date is beyond today's date, I don't think I'll get 30 days in jail if someone asks for proof of being here legally. If I learn otherwise, then I am wrong and will carry my GC always. Pointing to something that may never be enforced (which is an open question) isn't making the point you think it is. 

My point is pretty clear.  Your life....your choice....your risk......take the risk or obey the law as written. 

"If you are 18 or older, you do have to carry your green card with you. Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.) requires all lawful permanent residents (LPRs) to have “at all times” official evidence of LPR status.

Failing to have your green card with you is a misdemeanor and if you are found guilty you can be fined up to $100 and put in jail for up to 30 days. (I.N.A. Section 264(e).) A copy is not good enough, because the law does not use the word “copy” or refer to “other evidence” of LPR status."

Edited by missileman

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you have no ohter type of identification on you, then of course.  Not only that, it's simply a smart decision to always carry your GC anyways. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.