SusieQQQ

New Healthcare Requirements for US Immigrants

1,033 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, erinandahmet said:

I am surprised at how many people are taking these actions in good faith, as if they are really trying to help bring down medical debt, etc. I think it is pretty clear that this and other strategies that they are implementing are doing exactly what they want, which is to lessen legal immigration. Calling them useless is being kind. 

I'm not as convinced that people are taking the action as good faith, but I do think a lot of people agree that medical insurance is a must and this is one way to do so. Bad implementation at best.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
24 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I'm not as convinced that people are taking the action as good faith, but I do think a lot of people agree that medical insurance is a must and this is one way to do so. Bad implementation at best.

Most everything they do is riddled with a lack of understanding and bad implementation imo. When you look at it in the context of what they have said out loud, and then all the other changes to immigration policy they have been making, you can really see the agenda. It is not an isolated policy change. They have clearly that they want to move to a merit-based system, where wealthier people will have access to travel and possibly immigrate, but regular people will not. 

I actually think that this is a prelude to what will happen due to climate change, where mass migrations of people will become inevitable due to climate disasters. That is just my gut feeling about why this sudden shift in so many countries. As I understand it, Syria's civil war was partly initiated because of long drought that led to food shortages, etc. I guess we will see. :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
31 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

Not being a Citizen, I feel compelled to "pull my punches" , but many agree with you on the intent of this mess.

Totally understandable. I was born here and feel that it is my patriotic duty to voice my perspectives. :) I do control myself when it comes to my husband's country so I know what you mean. 

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
32 minutes ago, erinandahmet said:

Totally understandable. I was born here and feel that it is my patriotic duty to voice my perspectives. :) I do control myself when it comes to my husband's country so I know what you mean. 

Who am I kidding? , this is a jacked mess from the getgo by design if this administration.

3 hours ago, Richard Bedwell said:

That's great, but the court has not ruled yet. Until the court rules, I assume this will still be enforced, right? 

yes until the court rules this will go into effect, hopefully the case moves forward quickly.

6 hours ago, Jonny123 said:

Should we submit additional evidence or health insurance for immigrant visa interview for parents according to the new presidential proclamation on healthcare.

Technically parents are exempty for "having" to show insurance but this is guidance the embassy/consulates are being given:

image.thumb.png.b7d821596d1e05794ae2b4b4d6c520d2.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My employer provided health insurance policy (blue Cross blue shield) won't allow me to add my husband until he gets here. 

SO, I started looking into visitors health insurance and came across this. 

https://www.***removed***.com/visitors-care/medical-insurance/

This link above has a plan that costs $17 per month for one year. 

Can anyone please tell me if this is accepted ? I understand that I have to buy insurance for 364 days.  

I'm still waiting for USCIS approval. My petition is at Potomac (August 2019 filer) so I'm hoping that he will have his visa in hand sometime mid to late 2020. 

Should I wait till embassy stage to buy him visitor's health insurance policy ?

Screenshot_20191031-134320.jpg

Timeline
5 hours ago, Godknowsus said:

My employer provided health insurance policy (blue Cross blue shield) won't allow me to add my husband until he gets here. 

SO, I started looking into visitors health insurance and came across this. 

https://www.***removed***.com/visitors-care/medical-insurance/

This link above has a plan that costs $17 per month for one year. 

Can anyone please tell me if this is accepted ? I understand that I have to buy insurance for 364 days.  

I'm still waiting for USCIS approval. My petition is at Potomac (August 2019 filer) so I'm hoping that he will have his visa in hand sometime mid to late 2020. 

Should I wait till embassy stage to buy him visitor's health insurance policy ?

Screenshot_20191031-134320.jpg

Unfortunately we don't have the specifics, but based on the posted language, maybe?   I wouldn't buy it until we get better guidance and you should have that sooner. I am speculating that proof from your employer that he is insurable will work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure what the value of a policy with a maximum of $25,000 would be.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Some of the cancer drugs I give patients cost that (or more) for one dose.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A visitor's health policy with a $25k max? I don't understand why the proclamation lists it as an acceptable option... but a subsidized ACA plan is not acceptable? 🧐

If someone so much as breaks a finger on a visitor plan, it's gonna be maxed as soon as he steps foot in a clinic. It's going to put more of a burden on the HC system / taxpayers than an immigrant on a subsidized plan. 

Retards.

On 10/5/2019 at 9:02 AM, shallot343 said:

Does anyone have any guesses as to whether travel insurance will be acceptable and what level might be required? I couldn't add my spouse under my employment based insurance without an SSN (and admittedly wasn't worried about it at the time because was just planning to add him once he arrived during our open-enrolment period, though the timeframes for this don't add up anymore). We are willing to buy travel insurance or short-term to cover him until my open enrollment period (which will be more than 30 days after his arrival in the US) but the lack of guidance means we don't even know where to start with coverage levels. 

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions as to what kind of stop-gap insurance to look into, I am all ears. And feeling desperate 

You should be able to add your spouse, as this is a "life change" event.

Timeline
16 hours ago, Boiler said:

I agree that this is of dubious value. The question is, does it fulfill the requirements to get through the interview process? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It would not if I was making the call.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

I agree that this is of dubious value. The question is, does it fulfill the requirements to get through the interview process? 

It would not if I were judging it, simply because such plans are not ACA compliant. The poster is spending money on junk plans that will not cover pre-existing conditions, and if it were me, it would be extremely unwise to purchase it. That being said we don't even know if such plans will pass the 'smell test' or whatever test they're using and I don't know that consular officers are going to be up on the specifics either..

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.