Smokey Bear

K1-VISA Income/Household & Joint Sponsor Question

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It is entirely state dependent. 

I wasn't using "new resident" in the immigrant sense. My husband, for driving purposes, was a "new resident" of Washington state even before he had his EAD/AP, and still does not have a GC.

Washington recognizes South Korean and Canadian licenses from BC only, for example.*  Other foreign licenses are good for only 30 days.  No proof of immigrant status is required to get a Washington state DL.

*Meaning no road test is required.

So, if the OP were in Washington, my advice to get a local driver license as soon as possible, would mean, as soon as he gets time to visit the DMV office.

For other locations, what the law says and what is actually allowed in practice, often varies.  A "visitor" who visits longer than some regulation about driver licenses might state, typically does not stop driving or have any issue with local authorities related to their driver license.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

Adil had a license to drive when he came

TN sitll makes a new resident go thru the learner's permit to answer all questions about TN  rules and laws

who is to say that another country knows our TN laws 

and a person needs the permit to schedule the road test

no way around this 

As far as the road laws, that is easily solved by studying the manual before taking the written test.  My husband took his test using his NZ license. 

For me, if a state says a new resident needs an in-state license within x days, and defines a new resident as x/y/z...and one meets the x/y/z requirements then they need an in-state license within x days to drive. Anything else carries with it a risk. Is that risk worth it? Possibly. I agree that one may get away with it if pulled over once or so. But they also may get an officer and/or judge on a bad day that intends to enforce the law as written.

While not an inadmissible violation itself, things do get hairy when one drives without a proper license and commits any other offense. For instance, a DUI for an AOS applicant is bad, but a DUI w/o a valid license can be a CIMT, which now has direct immigration consequences.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

As far as the road laws, that is easily solved by studying the manual before taking the written test.  My husband took his test using his NZ license. 

you have to study it and now it is online but every state is different and even i did not know what TN allows as too many beers to be considered impaired

and that all cars going in both directions  have to pull over for a funeral even on a 4 lane divided highway 

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

For me, if a state says a new resident needs an in-state license within x days, and defines a new resident as x/y/z...and one meets the x/y/z requirements then they need an in-state license within x days to drive. Anything else carries with it a risk. Is that risk worth it? Possibly. I agree that one may get away with it if pulled over once or so. But they also may get an office and/or judge on a bad day that intends to enforce the law as written.

While not an inadmissible violation itself, things do get hairy when one drives without a proper license and commits any other offense. For instance, a DUI for an AOS applicant is bad, but a DUI w/o a valid license can be a CIMT, which now has immigration consequences.

Agreed.  My state requires all new residents to the state (whether they move here from another US state or another country) to obtain a Washington DL within 30 days.  Same goes for licensing cars that people bring when they move here.

Just now, Jorgedig said:

Agreed.  My state requires all new residents to the state (whether they move here from another US state or another country) to obtain a Washington DL within 30 days.  Same goes for licensing cars that people bring when they move here.

PA has a similar provision, although you can get a license valid for a year at a time w/ the I-485's NOA (and 2+ evidences of residency, such as mail at that address + a lease or house).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Ah.  I hadn't heard of that being required of immigrants who had a license previously.  My husband only had to take the written and road tests.  After 35 years of licensed driving in NZ, he would have blown a gasket if he'd been asked to have a learner's permit first.  :lol:

I just thought of it as my "badge" showing I had passed the first of two required tests...written and driving. I too had been driving more than 30 years. Everybody has to pass the written to show they know the specific state rules of the road. The reward is a slip of paper called a learner's permit. That lets you get in a driver's training class, or practice with another driver present, or simply move straight to the driving test. 

I drove on my UK license for over 2 months until I got EAD and was allowed to do the DMV thing. My thoughts were like pushbrk, I was a visitor until I got something that allowed me to stay. The officer who gave me a ticket agreed and didn't cite me for failure to have a valid license. What makes you a resident was not defined in TX.

Florida is one of the few states that actually defines when you become a resident.

You must get a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a resident. You are considered a resident of Florida if you:

1.  Enroll your children in public school, or
2.  Register to vote, or
3.  File for a homestead exemption, or
4.  Accept employment, or
5.  Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months.

19 hours ago, alun said:

I think they are agreements with some countries ( UK, Canada, Germany ) and you can drive on your licence

Depends on the state. My husband had a UK licence and was given only 60 days to drive on that. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 8:50 AM, Jorgedig said:

I didn't know that. Thanks for this info. :) What happens if a new resident doesn't get a WA DL within 30 days?

event.png

5 minutes ago, Trese said:

I didn't know that. Thanks for this info. :) What happens if a new resident doesn't get a WA DL within 30 days?

Well, if they continued to drive on their foreign license after moving here, they could  be cited for driving on an invalid license.  I don't know what the consequence for that is.

9 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Well, if they continued to drive on their foreign license after moving here, they could  be cited for driving on an invalid license.  I don't know what the consequence for that is.

I mean, what if the new resident isn't planning to or cannot drive at all? Is it still needed, as a state ID perhaps?

event.png

Just now, Trese said:

I mean, what if the new resident isn't planning to or cannot drive at all? Is it still needed, as a state ID perhaps?

No ID at all is required. I think they were only referring to if you intended to drive w/o an in-state license as a resident.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Just now, geowrian said:

No ID at all is required. I think they were only referring to if you intended to drive w/o an in-state license as a resident.

Fair enough. Thanks! :) 

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have a question about the I-134 Affidavit of Support.

1. My Petitioner has filled the I-134 AFFIDAVIDT OF SUPPORT however she  got stucked on question 38 of I intend or do not intend to make a specific contributions to support of the Persons names in Part 2

2. If she tick - I " intend"  the question is -  indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions you intend to make in Part 7 of Additional information. She own a three bedroom house (Kondo)

Please guys i need suggestion and clarity. I have attached the I-134 APPLICATION FORM

I-134 AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.