Smokey Bear

K1-VISA Income/Household & Joint Sponsor Question

59 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

No bother - just don’t want you to spend a long time filling the form in, to then need to do another later on, because something has changed 🙂

Like the form itself, lol.  The current I-864 edition will be obsolete in a couple of weeks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Johnny Yukon said:

. The household will be my FIANCEE'S parents - who live there with her. So the FULL TIME occupation is THREE (3) - HOWEVER , she has 3 children (9-11-14) who are there 3 days a week. What is the correct way of stating the household occupancy? - I believe she is NOT the MAIN CAREGIVER

The I-134 does not do a household count. You are thinking of the I-864 maybe? The only reference in the I-134 is 

• The following persons are dependent upon me for support. If you need extra space to complete this section, use the space provided in Part 7. Additional Information. 

So she lists the three kids separately and marks whether they are wholly or partially dependent on her for support. Easy enough for her to know. Sounds like partial. 

2. If a JOINT SPONSOR is required - where on the form i-134 do you add this information - so it is taken into account? Just use the SPARE PAGES at the back?

If your fiancé can't meet the requirement, then one parent does an I-134 instead. London wants a sponsor. It does not have to be the fiancé. It can also be you sponsoring yourself.

If your fiancé is close to having enough, then London may consider her income plus  your savings you mentioned. Bring financial statement(s) showing your savings. If mixed among several banks and such, maybe a summary list would help tie it all together for a total. The I-134 is a subjective decision by the interviewer. They have to be convinced you will not become a public charge, so convince them.

FINALLY - Question 38 (I DO/DO NOT Intend to make specific contributions etc...) - I am not sure what to put here - as I will be working (intend to in IT) and want to take nothing from her. I expect to find work fairly swiftly.

The answer "intend" is only for a sponsor who has a specific allowance they will give so something like

"I will give Johnny $1000/month and provide him with an insured automobile for a period of two years". If there is no specific handout planned, the answer is "Do not intend to give specific contributions"

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, Johnny Yukon said:

Many thanks ALL of you.

I can still DRIVE though? On my own license?

OK - I wont wait I'll do it ASAP at a court house and get the ball rolling. We were going to to this anyway.

Great support guys - thanks.

Only good for 30 days in Tn

and you will need to apply for learner's permit by passing eye exam and computer test on our driving rules

then,  schedule a road test

no SS # requirred 

this site will help":

https://www.vanderbilt.edu/gss/TNdriverslicense.php

Edited by JeanneAdil

20 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Only good for 30 days in Tn

and you will need to apply for learner's permit by passing eye exam and computer test on our driving rules

then,  schedule a road test

no SS # requirred 

this site will help":

https://www.vanderbilt.edu/gss/TNdriverslicense.php

Why would he need a learners permit?  

1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

The I-134 does not do a household count. You are thinking of the I-864 maybe? The only reference in the I-134 is 

• The following persons are dependent upon me for support. If you need extra space to complete this section, use the space provided in Part 7. Additional Information. 

So she lists the three kids separately and marks whether they are wholly or partially dependent on her for support. Easy enough for her to know. Sounds like partial. 

If your fiancé can't meet the requirement, then one parent does an I-134 instead. London wants a sponsor. It does not have to be the fiancé. It can also be you sponsoring yourself.

If your fiancé is close to having enough, then London may consider her income plus  your savings you mentioned. Bring financial statement(s) showing your savings. If mixed among several banks and such, maybe a summary list would help tie it all together for a total. The I-134 is a subjective decision by the interviewer. They have to be convinced you will not become a public charge, so convince them.

The answer "intend" is only for a sponsor who has a specific allowance they will give so something like

"I will give Johnny $1000/month and provide him with an insured automobile for a period of two years". If there is no specific handout planned, the answer is "Do not intend to give specific contributions"

@Johnny Yukon - get familiar with @Wuozopo. As you’re from the UK, your future questions are probably best suited to be posted in the UK forum...which means Wuozopo is likely going to be your UK visa Sherpa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

That's a fairly standard step in many places. Pass a written test so you can be allowed behind the wheel to practice or just be allowed to drive during your behind-the-wheel test.  I had a learner's permit for about 15 minutes. Took the driving test immediately after and got a driver license. They don't always recognize foreign licenses for as long as it takes to be allowed a state license.

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

For the driving, you will want to research the laws in your particular state.  Many states allow new residents to drive only for 30 days on a foreign license.  Some states will not allow immigrants to have a driver's license until they have LPR status.

He is not a "new resident" until he has a green card.  He's a "visitor".  Visitors can drive on foreign licenses as long as they are valid and accepted for any period of time.  For example Canadian and European licenses are but Chinese licenses are not, because they cannot be read by a peace officer.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

He is not a "new resident" until he has a green card.  He's a "visitor".  Visitors can drive on foreign licenses as long as they are valid and accepted for any period of time.  For example Canadian and European licenses are but Chinese licenses are not, because they cannot be read by a peace officer.

I'd have to disagree. Residency as referred to by the DMV has nothing to do with immigration status. Somebody who entered without inspection can be considered a resident by the state and be subject to DMV requirements for residency.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

I believe they should be included in the household.  @geowrian,@SusieQQQ or @pushbrk may be able to confirm.

4 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

If the children don’t live with her, ie, they just visit 3 days per week, my assumption would be that the occupants are three (her and her parents)...I’m working on assumptions here though

I believe they should be included in the household.  @geowrian,@SusieQQQ or @pushbrk may be able to confirm.

Edited 3 hours ago by Jorgedig

My response is that there are too many disconnected pronouns in the original explanation.  If they are the petitioner's children, they count in the petitioner's household size no matter where they live.  They do NOT count in her parents' household size though.  The petitioner doesn't count in her parents' household size either, if she's supporting herself.  

To really understand how this works, study both the I-134 and I-864 INSTRUCTIONS, before asking more affidavit of support related questions.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

I'd have to disagree. Residency as referred to by the DMV has nothing to do with immigration status. Somebody who entered without inspection can be considered a resident by the state and be subject to DMV requirements for residency.

Technically, yes.  However, people do this all the time.  Do Canadian Snowbirds with houses in Florida living six months in each place, get Florida driver licenses?  Hmm?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

10 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Technically, yes.  However, people do this all the time.  Do Canadian Snowbirds with houses in Florida living six months in each place, get Florida driver licenses?  Hmm?

Not disagreeing on what many people do. Just pointing out what the actual requirements can be.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Not disagreeing on what many people do. Just pointing out what the actual requirements can be.

To me, they key is whether one has another residence, country of residence or residence address.  People with resident status or who are authorized to live and work in the US, definitely need local driver licenses but they also can get them.  Those who enter without inspection have other problems more serious than driving without a license and in some states can get one anyway.

My advice to the OP, is to get a local Driver License as soon as it is actually possible to do so.  Until then, make sure the license in their wallet, purse, or pocket is valid where they are authorized to reside and is recognized by the local authorities for "visitors".  But, that's just MY advice.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

That's a fairly standard step in many places. Pass a written test so you can be allowed behind the wheel to practice or just be allowed to drive during your behind-the-wheel test.  I had a learner's permit for about 15 minutes. Took the driving test immediately after and got a driver license. They don't always recognize foreign licenses for as long as it takes to be allowed a state license.

Ah.  I hadn't heard of that being required of immigrants who had a license previously.  My husband only had to take the written and road tests.  After 35 years of licensed driving in NZ, he would have blown a gasket if he'd been asked to have a learner's permit first.  :lol:

35 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

It is entirely state dependent. 

I wasn't using "new resident" in the immigrant sense. My husband, for driving purposes, was a "new resident" of Washington state even before he had his EAD/AP, and still does not have a GC.

Washington recognizes South Korean and Canadian licenses from BC only, for example.*  Other foreign licenses are good for only 30 days.  No proof of immigrant status is required to get a Washington state DL.

*Meaning no road test is required.

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Adil had a license to drive when he came

TN sitll makes a new resident go thru the learner's permit to answer all questions about TN  rules and laws

who is to say that another country knows our TN laws 

and a person needs the permit to schedule the road test

no way around this 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.