Smokey Bear

K1-VISA Income/Household & Joint Sponsor Question

59 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there, I am Max, in the UK :)

I am getting on top of FORM i-134 and have a few queries.... :)

QUESTION:

1. The household will be my FIANCEE'S parents - who live there with her. So the FULL TIME occupation is THREE (3) - HOWEVER , she has 3 children (9-11-14) who are there 3 days a week. What is the correct way of stating the household occupancy? - I believe she is NOT the MAIN CAREGIVER.

2. If a JOINT SPONSOR is required - where on the form i-134 do you add this information - so it is taken into account? Just use the SPARE PAGES at the back?

3. FINALLY - Question 38 (I DO/DO NOT Intend to make specific contributions etc...) - I am not sure what to put here - as I will be working (intend to in IT) and want to take nothing from her. I expect to find work fairly swiftly.

Your replies will be welcomed.

Many Thanks

Max

Hi Max,

If you’re the beneficiary, which it sounds like you are, you shouldn’t be filling in this form - your fiancée should.

Re working quickly...as your profile says you’re applying for a K1 - are you aware that you won’t be legally able to work for the first 3-6 months after marrying? So you’re going to have to depend on your fiancée or someone for that time, unless you have significant savings.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Can only answer #3: you should be aware that on a K1 you won't be able to work till you get a work permit. That can take about 4-6 months.

Still you put in 'not intend' because you'll get married and your fiancee won't, like furnish a room especially for you. The embassy is aware of that. 

Timeline

Many thanks!

Yes I am aware I don't fill it out to send of - I am filling out a DRAFT so that its all correct. I am neater and better at admin.

She'll send it out the real deal.

The work permit, I'll admit I didn't know that. So thank you.

Significant savings, depends on what significant is. Is $20K significant for 3 months?

Either way - I should (she should put) DOES NOT INTEND - If I have savings that are good enough for 3-4 months. Like "Letspaintcookies"  says - no one is furnishing a room for me or buying clothes etc.... I don't mind what I out - I just want to get it right.

You won't be "sending out" the form.  You will take it to your interview.  Later you will take the legally binding I-865 to your AOS interview.

Any joint sponsors will fill out the same forms as your fiancé (the primary sponsor), and provide all of the same supporting documentation.

The delay in being able to work with the K-1 is a big drawback, and it is kind of surprising that you're at the stage of filling out the I-134 without knowing about that.  You may want to research this visa thoroughly.  US immigration is complex, expensive and time-consuming.

Edited by Jorgedig

Timeline

"...and it is kind of surprising that you're at the stage of filling out the I-134 without knowing about that.  You may want to research this visa thoroughly...."

Yeah thanks for that - thats the whole point - I am WAY ahead of time gathering information. This is the research. I don't need it for 6 months.

1 minute ago, Johnny Yukon said:

"...and it is kind of surprising that you're at the stage of filling out the I-134 without knowing about that.  You may want to research this visa thoroughly...."

Yeah thanks for that - thats the whole point - I am WAY ahead of time gathering information. This is the research. I don't need it for 6 months.

The research is filling out forms way ahead of time?  LOL, okay.  You may want to read the AOS guides here on VJ at the top blue banner.  Many people are surprised by the delay in being able to work, leave the US (and be readmitted), and drive on the K-1.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Many people are surprised by the delay in being able to work, leave the US (and be readmitted), and drive on the K-1.

I'll be OK with that I think. Savings etc.

Why would anyone LEAVE then be re-admitted?

What do you mean "drive on the K-1"?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Yukon said:

I'll be OK with that I think. Savings etc.

Why would anyone LEAVE then be re-admitted?

What do you mean "drive on the K-1"?

When entering on a K1, you can not for example, take a vacation outside of the US or visit your home country for months.

You won't be able to get a driver's license in most states for many months.

You won't be able to work for 3-6 months until after you file for AOS after the wedding. So for example, if you wait  the whole 90 days to marry and THEN file, you will look at not working for 9ish months. 

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Timeline
1 minute ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

When entering on a K1, you can not for example, take a vacation outside of the US or visit your home country for months.

You won't be able to get a driver's license.

You won't be able to work for 3-6 months until after you file for AOS after the wedding. So for example, if you wait  the whole 90 days to marry and THEN file, you will look at not working for 9ish months. 

Many thanks ALL of you.

I can still DRIVE though? On my own license?

OK - I wont wait I'll do it ASAP at a court house and get the ball rolling. We were going to to this anyway.

Great support guys - thanks.

1 minute ago, Johnny Yukon said:

Many thanks ALL of you.

OK - I wont wait I'll do it ASAP at a court house and get the ball rolling. We were going to to this anyway.

You can not drive past a certain amount of days after entry into the US (either 60 or 90 days? I don't recall but google will tell you). After that, no you will not be able to drive. There will definitely be a lapse of time between, possibly of many months, when you are not allowed to drive on your original country's license and when you will be allowed to apply for an American license. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Yukon said:

Many thanks ALL of you.

For the driving, you will want to research the laws in your particular state.  Many states allow new residents to drive only for 30 days on a foreign license.  Some states will not allow immigrants to have a driver's license until they have LPR status.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Johnny Yukon said:

Many thanks ALL of you.

Nope to the driving. Your foreign drivers license is almost worthless as immigrant. You have to have a drivers license issued by the state you're living in and most DMVs won't issue one before you get at least the EAD

Edited by Letspaintcookies

1 minute ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

You can not drive past a certain amount of days after entry into the US (either 60 or 90 days? I don't recall but google will tell you). After that, no you will not be able to drive. There will definitely be a lapse of time between, possibly of many months, when you are not allowed to drive on your original country's license and when you will be allowed to apply for an American license. 

Not exactly correct.  It is really down to the DMV of each state.  For example, here in Washington, my husband was able to get his license with just his passport and proof of address.  In other states, foreign drivers have to wait until they have evidence of status.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.