Deanne81

conflicting info regarding on-the-spot passport application at naturalization ceremony

16 posts in this topic

Applying on the day (if available at your ceremony - it's not available for all) is applying in person. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

1 hour ago, Deanne81 said:

VisaJourney indicate that on the same day and venue of my naturalization ceremony, I can register to vote and apply for a passport.

Most likely there will be a table where you can register to vote and of course the Democratic Party and the Republican Party will have a table as well as your local Senators and Representatives may have their own tables as well trying to woo in the fresh voters. That has been my experiences going to a few of these ceremonies including my own. At my own oath, there was also the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) performing all the singing so if you’re in to a bunch of 80 years old women singing “God love America”, that’ll be something to look forward to.

I personally have not seen a table where you can apply passport there at the ceremony. People usually have to go to the Post Office (requires an appointment) or some other passport application intake places usually in a county government building. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
54 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Most likely there will be a table where you can register to vote and of course the Democratic Party and the Republican Party will have a table as well as your local Senators and Representatives may have their own tables as well trying to woo in the fresh voters. That has been my experiences going to a few of these ceremonies including my own. At my own oath, there was also the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) performing all the singing so if you’re in to a bunch of 80 years old women singing “God love America”, that’ll be something to look forward to.

I personally have not seen a table where you can apply passport there at the ceremony. People usually have to go to the Post Office (requires an appointment) or some other passport application intake places usually in a county government building. 

Interesting, when my wife had her ceremony she was able to register to vote, but there was no party representations.  As to the passport, at least in Detroit, the passport agency is across the street from the federal courthouse, so if one has a morning ceremony they can walk across the street and apply for a passport on the same day.  Unfortunately, for my wife, her oath was in the afternoon, so we went down the next day.  She had her passport in 3 days with expedited service, and they did not keep the naturalization certificate.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

at least in Detroit, the passport agency is across the street from the federal courthouse

That’s the difference. The passport agency is different because I believe they themselves can process passports, hence no need to keep the certificate. Unfortunately the majority of people do not live near one. There isn’t one within 300 miles of where I live. So most people have to apply at the post office or local county offices which is merely an intake place and the applications are sent elsewhere to State to process.

At my citizenship ceremony, there were a bunch of people standing outside to get you to sign up to vote (I did it right there and then!).  And my husband's ceremony on Wednesday (different place) they had a table there where you could sign up for your passport.  I hadn't seen that before!

My favorite part of the ceremony was when they announced the passport requirements for children who get citizenship along with their parents.  When you apply for your child's passport, you only have to mail in your citizenship certification.  Unless Dept of State asks for one for the child too.  Then, hey, they don't really need it - but you'll have to apply and pay $1k for it anyway.  They recommend trying without it first to see how you get on.  Sounds like crazy policy to me!

On J visas.  Spouse won DV lottery while in US.  Did AOS from the US.

Boston field office, GC holder for 10 years.

Citizenship received in 2016, took ~5 months from application to passport.

Spouse received citizenship in 2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
18 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Philadelphia, no passport application at the ceremony, but I took appointment @ 4:30 PM to a close by post office and after finishing oath at 4:00 PM , when directly and applied for passport.  I took one passport photo, filled application form ( online) and photocopy of the diver licence, paid fees using debit card, done.  Got passport in 10 days ( paid  $ 60 more). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
4 hours ago, kiwibean said:

At my citizenship ceremony, there were a bunch of people standing outside to get you to sign up to vote (I did it right there and then!).  And my husband's ceremony on Wednesday (different place) they had a table there where you could sign up for your passport.  I hadn't seen that before!

My favorite part of the ceremony was when they announced the passport requirements for children who get citizenship along with their parents.  When you apply for your child's passport, you only have to mail in your citizenship certification.  Unless Dept of State asks for one for the child too.  Then, hey, they don't really need it - but you'll have to apply and pay $1k for it anyway.  They recommend trying without it first to see how you get on.  Sounds like crazy policy to me!

Really!? That does sound crazy. There should be no problem getting it with the parents certification only. I will definitely try that when my time comes so my son can get a passport also.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

In Chattanooga after the oath we were allowed to apply for citizenship (surrendering the naturalization certificate as there was a copy machine to also do the copy) but most only took an application as they did not have the required passport photo to accompany the application.

He did register to vote with lots of info from bothe parites and the Daughters of American Revolution 

Voting card will come in the mail

For information only the man told us that the new passport ,  the certification letter and the passport card would be mailed to us in separate mailings as he applied for both passport book and passport card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I volunteer at the oath ceremonies here in Las Vegas,NV every so often, and they usually have a table set up to do your passport, update your social security card, and register to vote at the minimum. If you want to save yourself some time, you can fill out the Passport application online and print it out before your ceremony to take with you. really speeds things up. They will do a quick review ( If you can, bring your own photos, it is a lot cheaper than doing them there) and then they will do the oath for the passport application, attach your certificate to it, and away it goes. DO the passport last as they will be taking the original naturalization certificate for the application, and you will get it back VIA mail usually separate from the passport.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

I volunteer at the oath ceremonies here in Las Vegas,NV every so often, and they usually have a table set up to do your passport, update your social security card, and register to vote at the minimum. If you want to save yourself some time, you can fill out the Passport application online and print it out before your ceremony to take with you. really speeds things up. They will do a quick review ( If you can, bring your own photos, it is a lot cheaper than doing them there) and then they will do the oath for the passport application, attach your certificate to it, and away it goes. DO the passport last as they will be taking the original naturalization certificate for the application, and you will get it back VIA mail usually separate from the passport.

Do you have any info about kids under 16 applying at the same time as the parent? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

Do you have any info about kids under 16 applying at the same time as the parent? 

I have seen kids apply with their parents many times. It is basically the same process other than the passport they get will only be valid for 5 years I believe if memory serves. And if it expires again before they turn 16 or maybe 18, I'm not 100% for sure on the age, but i think 16, they are required to renew in person, when you are an adult and you get your first passport it is good for 10 years, and you can renew by mail the next time, and it is really easy when you renew.

As a side note, if they are US citizens already( I am assuming they are) they will need original certified copies of their birth certificates to submit, so make sure you have those also.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.