kamrankhan

Public charge for parents

91 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would expect somebody working for a Hospital would have OK insurance, but it not a certainty, a very important benefit, a very expensive benefit and one most people would check on before deciding to take a job.

Most Companies will include spouses, but not all, sometime at no cost. Nowadays you do hear of spouses being charged the un subsidised cost, another important factor.

Presumably he will want to work, that may mean he would be expected to be covered by hos Employers plan and not yours.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
16 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Qualifying quarters do not require full time employment. Many full time employees have schedules with less than 40 hours a week anyway.

Threshold is very, very, low:

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/QC.html

Correct, but she must earn at least $440 a month for 10 years, at a job that is deducting Social Security and Medicare. But at that salary and work of 10 years, her SS benefit would be about $42.00 a month, which would not pay for Part B  Medicare. That's why I specified the word "free" Medicare.

13 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

If you want to be a doctor, you will need to develop a cursory understanding of how insurance works.

Sometimes I wonder how true this is. I mentioned certain drug copays to mine recently (and I have quite good insurance) and she was shocked as they were standard procedure, potentially lifelong drugs.

5 hours ago, Boiler said:

I would expect somebody working for a Hospital would have OK insurance, but it not a certainty, a very important benefit, a very expensive benefit and one most people would check on before deciding to take a job.

Most Companies will include spouses, but not all, sometime at no cost. Nowadays you do hear of spouses being charged the un subsidised cost, another important factor.

Some (such as my RN wife's) charge a fee ($100/month) to join their plan if one qualifies for any other employer-sponsored insurance program. This is on top of the added premium for having a spouse.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Some (such as my RN wife's) charge a fee ($100/month) to join their plan if one qualifies for any other employer-sponsored insurance program.

Yeah my wifes healthcare company charges $250/month fee.  Fortunately (?) I'm self employed.  I'm 52 and it was still $600 a month to add me and I still pay over $1000 a month for lifelong drugs. . .  still cheaper than ACA.  Thank goodness she wanted to work!

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 hours ago, databit said:

Including the time to immigrate, she would have to work a 40-hour week for 10 years, until she is well into her 70's, to qualify for full free Medicare and to receive Social Security income.

I am sure I read somewhere that a person does not have to be employed 40 hrs a week for 10 years.  It says "40 Quarters", and I believe that I read a person has to be "employed" at least part of the time in each of those 40 quarters.  Anyone?  Someone can be employed as little as one month out of each quarter and still qualify.

3 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

I believe that I read a person has to be "employed" at least part of the time in each of those 40 quarters

Correct.   I've had employees who worked one day and got credit for the quarter.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

3 hours ago, databit said:

Correct, but she must earn at least $440 a month for 10 years, at a job that is deducting Social Security and Medicare. But at that salary and work of 10 years, her SS benefit would be about $42.00 a month, which would not pay for Part B  Medicare. That's why I specified the word "free" Medicare.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was an implication for Part B but wasn’t sure exactly how it worked. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was an implication for Part B but wasn’t sure exactly how it worked. 

Oversimplified summary :

Part A covers hospital stays (80%) with upper annual limits on the number of days etc .. no monthly premium if you are fully vested into SS

Part B covers drs visits etc .. can be purchased through Original Medicare for approx $200?? per month or can be purchased through the equivalent of a Medicare marketplace policy 

Part D is prescription medication cover with set costs for designated drugs . Monthly premium payable 

So Part A is the only part that is “free” 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Correct.   I've had employees who worked one day and got credit for the quarter.

Credits used to be accrued quarterly .. hence the term 40 quarters .. but they are now assessed annually .. depending on income level, someone can earn 4 quarters   (maximum for one year ) in a month of working or less , if highly paid 

Filed: Timeline

1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Oversimplified summary :

Part A covers hospital stays (80%) with upper annual limits on the number of days etc .. no monthly premium if you are fully vested into SS

Part B covers drs visits etc .. can be purchased through Original Medicare for approx $200?? per month or can be purchased through the equivalent of a Medicare marketplace policy 

Part D is prescription medication cover with set costs for designated drugs . Monthly premium payable 

So Part A is the only part that is “free” 

Part B is 135.20 for everyone. If you make more you will pay more though, but no one pays less. You can also pay more by getting a private plan from the medicare marketplace thing. Part D can be free but you get poor coverage. Plans go from 5 to 150$ or more depending on what you need.

I think the biggest surprise for most people is learning what a donut hole is. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Part B is 135.20 for everyone. If you make more you will pay more though, but no one pays less. You can also pay more by getting a private plan from the medicare marketplace thing. Part D can be free but you get poor coverage. Plans go from 5 to 150$ or more depending on what you need.

Thx for the more accurate summary 

Yes ...part  D  donut holes from Medicare are definitely not the pleasant experience that they are from Dunkin Donuts! 

• 5 months later...

Would this also affect tourist visas for family?  Or is this just when you are trying to bring family to permanently live here?

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I know this is a hot topic but I would not panic at the moment if I had a pending I-130 application. As we know, I-130 denial would have to state a precise and concrete evidence of circumstances for such denial. If we go about the "public charge" rule, I believe it can not be applied retroactively to pending applications. Below is a short extract of the full memo that USCIS has sent out yesterday:

Except for in the State of Illinois, USCIS will only apply the Final Rule to applications and petitions postmarked (or submitted electronically) on or after Feb. 24, 2020. For applications and petitions that are sent by commercial courier (e.g., UPS/FedEx/DHL), the postmark date is the date reflected on the courier receipt.  The Final Rule prohibits DHS from considering an alien’s application for, certification or approval to receive, or receipt of certain non-cash public benefits before Oct. 15, 2019, when deciding whether the alien is likely at any time to become a public charge.

While this does not mean that public charge issues are not being assessed at all - however we should not expect any changes from how the business has been done up until today.

Brace yourselves, fellaz, and good luck to those applying after Feb 24th.

7 hours ago, Fe.Ta said:

Would this also affect tourist visas for family?  Or is this just when you are trying to bring family to permanently live here?

There is no financial sponsorship for tourist visas.

On 8/11/2019 at 4:50 PM, Villanelle said:

I think there are also some higher premiums/fees for those who fail to sign up for anything except for part A in a timely manner, like my father 🙄.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.