kamrankhan

Public charge for parents

91 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Medicare does not fully cover everything  (as I’m sure you are aware).  Between part A and part B and more... My parent also has top up insurance which is being very heavily used, and we are fortunate that we would be able to cover anything else if necessary. Many people don’t have that option.  Between what I’m seeing with my parent (the US has fabulous care, but boy it costs) and the story about the WA couple today, I’m just wary at how complacent many people are. Even assuming already retired mom wants to work for 10 years to pay SS and Medicare taxes.

I agree with these thoughts. We immigrated for the second time 3 years ago , we are mid 60s , we have 40 quarters , will get SS and Medicare next year , we have  more than 500k thankfully, we own our own house .. but retiring and getting older with all the possible impacts , is still frightening.... very , very , very frightening 😖

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
1 minute ago, kamrankhan said:

I think it is the sponsor's or the applicants problem how to live in USA. This is just an immigration forum. People should not become judge and think of future. Its better to comment what is being asked for......Original question was how the people whose parents recently got visa, did it?

My post is direct personal recent experience from our IR 5 journey ... 

So, How do you get old in the US and have a small fortune ? Immigrate as older parents with a big fortune and it will soon be small! 😁

Timeline

I do not know why people are taking this topic to another direction. I AM NOT ASKING ABOUT HOW MY PARENT IS GOING TO SURVIVE AFTER SHE COMES HERE. I am asking about recent cases of public charge . If you guys are insisting to know, I must disclose that I am a doctor doing my residency in radiology. I know I will afford her but I am asking of NOW.

16 minutes ago, kamrankhan said:

I do not know why people are taking this topic to another direction. I AM NOT ASKING ABOUT HOW MY PARENT IS GOING TO SURVIVE AFTER SHE COMES HERE. I am asking about recent cases of public charge . If you guys are insisting to know, I must disclose that I am a doctor doing my residency in radiology. I know I will afford her but I am asking of NOW.

You’re kind of missing the point. You were the one who posted about the half million in assets being denied, yes? We are showing you why such thinking arises on public charge concerns. The article makes it seem like it’s just pulled from thin air, but it’s not. The poverty guidelines are ridiculously low and it’s probably long overdue that proper attention is paid to age and working status of the intending immigrant.I don’t want to be mean, being accepted into medical school in the US is an achievement, well done, but being a doctor does not necessarily make you wealthy here. I know a doctor couple, interestingly both radiologists too, they cannot even afford private school for their kids (admittedly we live in a much higher cost of living area than you) and they don’t have to pay for their parents.  So just saying “I know I will be able to afford it” doesn’t pass an interview.

The bottom line is that no one can tell you for sure what will happen at the interview  - everything could go absolutely fine with no problem whatsoever. But you are already aware of cases being turned down on public charge, which is why you are posting here. We’ve also seen a case here of someone who had to get medical insurance quotes for the parent and show how they would pay it. All you can do is (1) hope your wife’s income is enough, which it might well be; if that doesn’t work (2) get a joint sponsor, if that doesn’t work (3j wait until you’re earning big and bring her then. There’s not really anything you can do to change the current situation.  Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
40 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Medicare does not fully cover everything  (as I’m sure you are aware).  Between part A and part B and more... My parent also has top up insurance which is being very heavily used, and we are fortunate that we would be able to cover anything else if necessary. Many people don’t have that option.  Between what I’m seeing with my parent (the US has fabulous care, but boy it costs) and the story about the WA couple today, I’m just wary at how complacent many people are. Even assuming already retired mom wants to work for 10 years to pay SS and Medicare taxes.

Somebody I know with cancer had Medicare but also Tricare, due to past Military service, I was told they would have been financially wiped out if they had only Medicare. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You’re kind of missing the point. You were the one who posted about the half million in assets being denied, yes? We are showing you why such thinking arises on public charge concerns. The article makes it seem like it’s just pulled from thin air, but it’s not. The poverty guidelines are ridiculously low and it’s probably long overdue that proper attention is paid to age and working status of the intending immigrant.I don’t want to be mean, being accepted into medical school in the US is an achievement, well done, but being a doctor does not necessarily make you wealthy here. I know a doctor couple, interestingly both radiologists too, they cannot even afford private school for their kids (admittedly we live in a much higher cost of living area than you) and they don’t have to pay for their parents.  So just saying “I know I will be able to afford it” doesn’t pass an interview.

The bottom line is that no one can tell you for sure what will happen at the interview  - everything could go absolutely fine with no problem whatsoever. But you are already aware of cases being turned down on public charge, which is why you are posting here. We’ve also seen a case here of someone who had to get medical insurance quotes for the parent and show how they would pay it. All you can do is (1) hope your wife’s income is enough, which it might well be; if that doesn’t work (2) get a joint sponsor, if that doesn’t work (3j wait until you’re earning big and bring her then. There’s not really anything you can do to change the current situation.  Good luck.

When our last Doctor retired, we do not have one in my County, I was told they could not get another mainly because of the income potential vs the Student loans a new Doctor would have to pay off. Earning potential here simply not high enough.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

You obviously have considered how you intend to fund this, spreadsheet i so the Consulate can see that you have considered the issues, the costs and how they will be dealt with.

Health insurance will be required, period will depend on life expectancy.

Timeline

There is no such product to buy.

Obviously there is no way such costs can be calculated precisely, but you can make a reasonable guesstimate based on current numbers, immigration is a serious issue and should not be taken lightly. This is a major commitment.

38 minutes ago, Boiler said:

When our last Doctor retired, we do not have one in my County, I was told they could not get another mainly because of the income potential vs the Student loans a new Doctor would have to pay off. Earning potential here simply not high enough.

Off topic but this is why NYU is making its medical school free - so doctors can focus on what they want to do/what people need rather than chase higher paying specialties just to pay off student debt. Plenty stories of doctors being in debt for years after graduation. 

22 minutes ago, kamrankhan said:

Lifetime? Come on man. So I will buy , lets say 30 years, of insurance in advance? lol

You really need to do some research into health insurance options, you don’t seem to properly understand how the health insurance system works here, especially for those who do not get it as an employment benefit. But yes if you are trying to show that you can support your parent in the way Boiler suggests, you do actually need to look at her expected lifetime costs, you can’t guarantee that she gets Medicare or that she becomes a citizen. Do you understand the time frame for obligations on the i864?

On the other question, i imagine a sponsor earning $500k a year would be adequate, yes. All of the people I personally know in that bracket are in finance or tech. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
21 minutes ago, kamrankhan said:

Lifetime? Come on man. So I will buy , lets say 30 years, of insurance in advance? lol

Good luck. I respectfully suggest that you do more research into health care costs for new immigrants .. available through ACA Marketplace....  , conditions under which LPRs can access Medicare, costs of buying into Medicare if available , and what Medicare does and does not cover. 

Im glad for you that your potential earning power is high .. but life events don’t always follow our preferred pathway.. events happen that change our life circumstances and failing to understand the impact of loss of income etc can be devastating on families.

2 months ago I researched Marketplace for insurance to cover us for a possible 2 year gap until we were eligible for Medicare free part A ..   $2400 per month silver plan for a couple .. deductible of $10000...  so I expected to set aside $25000 per year to cover insurance premiums and deductibles/copayment before I expected any insurance to pay out. 

Timeline

The I864 is a pretty quick read, like anything do your research.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.