Jump to content
Mattie0212

Denied entry and Visa during K-1 process

27 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello ūüėä

 

Im just looking for some insight on my situation. 

 

I was denied entry to see my fiancé in March of this year, then subsequently denied a visa in July, when I applied for a tourist visa. We decided to apply for the I-129f and filed it in May, after my denial in March. We are currently waiting on a response from the USCIS. 

 

I would like to know if anyone has been through something like this and how you overcame this stressful situation and what steps did you take to get a positive result?

 

Your insight is greatly appreciated 

 

Matilda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mattie0212 said:

Hello ūüėä

 

Im just looking for some insight on my situation. 

 

I was denied entry to see my fiancé in March of this year, then subsequently denied a visa in July, when I applied for a tourist visa. We decided to apply for the I-129f and filed it in May, after my denial in March. We are currently waiting on a response from the USCIS. 

 

I would like to know if anyone has been through something like this and how you overcame this stressful situation and what steps did you take to get a positive result?

 

Your insight is greatly appreciated 

 

Matilda

Yes, I have been through this situation. 

We tried to prove to the best of out abilities that our relationship is real. Photos with us and our families, payment receipts, boarding passes, she came to visit me several times, we went to the interview together, WhatsApp messages, call logs.

You know, it’s just the standard stuff that people submit. 

 

You might be asked during the interview- why was the tourist visa denied. Give them  the reason - was it insufficient ties to your home country? Other reason? And an explanation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mattie0212 said:

Hello ūüėä

 

Im just looking for some insight on my situation. 

 

I was denied entry to see my fiancé in March of this year, then subsequently denied a visa in July, when I applied for a tourist visa. We decided to apply for the I-129f and filed it in May, after my denial in March. We are currently waiting on a response from the USCIS. 

 

I would like to know if anyone has been through something like this and how you overcame this stressful situation and what steps did you take to get a positive result?

 

Your insight is greatly appreciated 

 

Matilda

My now wife was refused a visitor visa twice back when we were dating.  They did ask her a little about it at the K1 interview I think mostly to verify that when she applied for the tourist visas she did not misrepresent herself on those DS160s.  In the end, it was not an issue.  Now as to the denial of entry back in March, were you on an ESTA, or a B2?  Did they simply allow you to withdraw your application for admission, or were you removed?  Did they give you any documentation or add any stamps or writing on your passport?  This can make a difference in future immigration procedures.


Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

My now wife was refused a visitor visa twice back when we were dating.  They did ask her a little about it at the K1 interview I think mostly to verify that when she applied for the tourist visas she did not misrepresent herself on those DS160s.  In the end, it was not an issue.  Now as to the denial of entry back in March, were you on an ESTA, or a B2?  Did they simply allow you to withdraw your application for admission, or were you removed?  Did they give you any documentation or add any stamps or writing on your passport?  This can make a difference in future immigration procedures.

I was on an esta. They did stamp my passport. I was turnaround at the airport, not deported. They gave me documentation of my sworn statement, however they kept it at the embassy after my interview in July. 

 

The officer who denied my tourist visa said ids said that the visa denial shouldn’t affect my current process. I guess I’m just nervous as you never know what to expect. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mattie0212 said:

Hello ūüėä

 

Im just looking for some insight on my situation. 

 

I was denied entry to see my fiancé in March of this year, then subsequently denied a visa in July, when I applied for a tourist visa. We decided to apply for the I-129f and filed it in May, after my denial in March. We are currently waiting on a response from the USCIS. 

 

I would like to know if anyone has been through something like this and how you overcame this stressful situation and what steps did you take to get a positive result?

 

Your insight is greatly appreciated 

 

Matilda

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. It happens. They may think that you were of a high risk of using the visitor visa to stay instead of filing the usual way. This is the most common reason for those type of entry denials. It raises the risk if you have a love interest in the United States. They may think you are simply moving here instead of visiting.

 

To be successful for a visitor visa the applicant must show that they do NOT have immigrant intent. Kind of hard to show that when you have a fiance or spouse in the US. Also, if they see you planned to stay here for several months with no job or responsibilities in your home country to return to... it makes it harder.

 

Fortunately, it shouldn't have a bearing on your K1 unless there was something big like misrepresentation. 

 

 

1 hour ago, Gomast said:

Yes, I have been through this situation. 

We tried to prove to the best of out abilities that our relationship is real. Photos with us and our families, payment receipts, boarding passes, she came to visit me several times, we went to the interview together, WhatsApp messages, call logs.

You know, it’s just the standard stuff that people submit. 

 

You might be asked during the interview- why was the tourist visa denied. Give them  the reason - was it insufficient ties to your home country? Other reason? And an explanation. 

The above in bold May have actually been the problem with her tourist visa denial. The most important thing people must remember with visitor visas is to prove why you must return home. The officers don't care why you want to visit, they want to see why you need to return to your country. Showing an ongoing relationship with someone in the US only makes it easy for an officer to deny a visitor visa. 

Edited by Unlockable

‚ÄúWhen starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.‚ÄĚ - NuestraUnion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mattie0212 said:

I was on an esta. They did stamp my passport. I was turnaround at the airport, not deported. They gave me documentation of my sworn statement, however they kept it at the embassy after my interview in July. 

 

The officer who denied my tourist visa said ids said that the visa denial shouldn’t affect my current process. I guess I’m just nervous as you never know what to expect. 

 

 

As a turnaround, it should not impact anything. 

 

Good Luck!


Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. It happens. They may think that you were of a high risk of using the visitor visa to stay instead of filing the usual way. This is the most common reason for those type of entry denials. It raises the risk if you have a love interest in the United States. They may think you are simply moving here instead of visiting.

 

To be successful for a visitor visa the applicant must show that they do NOT have immigrant intent. Kind of hard to show that when you have a fiance or spouse in the US. Also, if they see you planned to stay here for several months with no job or responsibilities in your home country to return to... it makes it harder.

 

Fortunately, it shouldn't have a bearing on your K1 unless there was something big like misrepresentation. 

 

 

The above in bold May have actually been the problem with her tourist visa denial. The most important thing people must remember with visitor visas is to prove why you must return home. The officers don't care why you want to visit, they want to see why you need to return to your country. Showing an ongoing relationship with someone in the US only makes it easy for an officer to deny a visitor visa. 

The officer didn’t ever ask to look at my documents that I had brought to the interview. Nonetheless that is in the past. 

 

Thank you you all for your insight. It is greatly appreciated. 

 

My fiancé is visiting me in October and we’re hoping to hear something soon from USCIS. 

 

Thanks again!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mattie0212 said:

The officer didn’t ever ask to look at my documents that I had brought to the interview. Nonetheless that is in the past. 

 

Thank you you all for your insight. It is greatly appreciated. 

 

My fiancé is visiting me in October and we’re hoping to hear something soon from USCIS. 

 

Thanks again!!

The officer does not have to look at any documents brought to an interview because there is no way to authenticate them during the short interview.  This is a misconception on the part of many people.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

The officer does not have to look at any documents brought to an interview because there is no way to authenticate them during the short interview.  This is a misconception on the part of many people.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Unlockable said:

The above in bold May have actually been the problem with her tourist visa denial. The most important thing people must remember with visitor visas is to prove why you must return home. The officers don't care why you want to visit, they want to see why you need to return to your country. Showing an ongoing relationship with someone in the US only makes it easy for an officer to deny a visitor visa. 

The text you bolded in not from the OP, but from a member who shared how they dealt with the K1 after a tourist visa denial. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly possible there would be a case where there is evidence that would be relevant to a B application, however the VJ experience is that what posters consider is evidence is not.

 

Begs the question what could have changed so quickly between a VWP refusal and applying for a B that would warrant a B approval, and how it was evidenced.


‚ÄúIf you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.‚ÄĚ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mattie0212 said:

Hello ūüėä

 

Im just looking for some insight on my situation. 

 

I was denied entry to see my fiancé in March of this year, then subsequently denied a visa in July, when I applied for a tourist visa. We decided to apply for the I-129f and filed it in May, after my denial in March. We are currently waiting on a response from the USCIS. 

 

I would like to know if anyone has been through something like this and how you overcame this stressful situation and what steps did you take to get a positive result?

 

Your insight is greatly appreciated 

 

Matilda

Provided you have a normal case there is nothing that would prevent you from successfully obtaining a K1. Did the officer at the POE give you a reason for turning you away at the border?


K-1 - AOS & ROC Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

 

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo) 8/13/18 (18 mo)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 - Error will need to file I90 >_<

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Unlockable said:

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. It happens. They may think that you were of a high risk of using the visitor visa to stay instead of filing the usual way. This is the most common reason for those type of entry denials. It raises the risk if you have a love interest in the United States. They may think you are simply moving here instead of visiting.

 

To be successful for a visitor visa the applicant must show that they do NOT have immigrant intent. Kind of hard to show that when you have a fiance or spouse in the US. Also, if they see you planned to stay here for several months with no job or responsibilities in your home country to return to... it makes it harder.

 

Fortunately, it shouldn't have a bearing on your K1 unless there was something big like misrepresentation. 

 

 

The above in bold May have actually been the problem with her tourist visa denial. The most important thing people must remember with visitor visas is to prove why you must return home. The officers don't care why you want to visit, they want to see why you need to return to your country. Showing an ongoing relationship with someone in the US only makes it easy for an officer to deny a visitor visa. 

I couldn't agree more with the underlined statement. When we filed for the visitor visa, the most important part was showing ties in her country (a reason for her to go back). We made no mention of any romantic intentions at the time.  The fear is that once you enter, you won't have a reason to go home and will therefore overstay the visa. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mattie0212 said:

The officer who denied my tourist visa said ids said that the visa denial shouldn’t affect my current process. I guess I’m just nervous as you never know what to expect. 

 

I don't think it will affect it at all unless there were factors like drugs or something that would make you unadmissable to immigrate to the US. If the POE officer simply turned you away because he thought you might be planning to stay and work illegally in the US because you told him you had a boyfriend, that won't keep you from getting a fiancé visa which means you are going through proper procedures to remain in the US.

 

In the UK, it is pretty common for visitor visas to be quickly denied without much discussion. Because VWP  is easily available, it seems like they figure there's nothing that warrants giving you six months to hang out with a BF, or there must be something undesirable if you couldn't use VWP. Lots and lots of visitor visas are denied in the UK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
√ó
√ó
  • Create New...