sonicview

Possible to file tax as married while beneficiary is living abroad

41 posts in this topic

My tax guys said i can't include my wife name or show as married in my tax return because she is not in USA and don't have SSN. How you guys did your tax return last year when you were married but spouse was overseas waiting for her visa approval. Did you guys filled application as single or married? I am little worried because i am expecting my wife's case to be approved next year as i recently files her i-130 and my 2019 tax return will be needed in the next stage of processing. I want to file as married, don't care about the deductibles but at least for the correct record, but without her having SSN i can't include her in tax filing. I don't want visa officer to question her for this point, any advice, what you guys did? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, sonicview said:

My tax guys said i can't include my wife name or show as married in my tax return because she is not in USA and don't have SSN. How you guys did your tax return last year when you were married but spouse was overseas waiting for her visa approval. Did you guys filled application as single or married? I am little worried because i am expecting my wife's case to be approved next year as i recently files her i-130 and my 2019 tax return will be needed in the next stage of processing. I want to file as married, don't care about the deductibles but at least for the correct record, but without her having SSN i can't include her in tax filing. I don't want visa officer to question her for this point, any advice, what you guys did? 

Married filing separate 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, sonicview said:

But she will not file any tax here or in her home country, so is it ok to say married filing separate?

Yes

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline
22 minutes ago, sonicview said:

You can apply as married jointly if you submit your taxes by mail with an ITIN application for your wife at the same time. I did this process this year for my husband living internationally. It postponed the tax refund process by a long time, and to get the ITIN application approved, you need to submit a certified copy of her passport or the physical thing. The only way to get a certified copy is from the immigration office that issues the passport. It’s definitely possible but a bit of a nightmare so the question for u is if it’s worth it. I got a substantially larger refund filing together which is why I decided to go through with it, but be aware it can be an annoying long process.

Edited by Snd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
20 minutes ago, sonicview said:

Your tax guys are wrong......File "Married Filing Separately"......no SSN required.....write "NRA" in spouse's SSN field......but it must be mailed.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

follow the IRS directions by filing out the W7 with proof of marraige and spouse's ID for 2019 tax returns

this gives you the ITIN so you can file joint and be in lower tax bracket 

IRS is always the best place for tax info on returns

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Snd said:

You can apply as married jointly if you submit your taxes by mail with an ITIN application for your wife at the same time. I did this process this year for my husband living internationally. It postponed the tax refund process by a long time, and to get the ITIN application approved, you need to submit a certified copy of her passport or the physical thing. The only way to get a certified copy is from the immigration office that issues the passport. It’s definitely possible but a bit of a nightmare so the question for u is if it’s worth it. I got a substantially larger refund filing together which is why I decided to go through with it, but be aware it can be an annoying long process.

For ones not wanting to go thru the ITIN hassle, can simply file as MFS for now and then amend to MFJ once the spouse is in the US with SSN, will get back any heavy refund due by MFJ later on.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Option 1 (Simple): File as Married Filing Separately (MFS). Write "NRA" in for her SSN. She doesn't need to file her own return.

These instructions are clearly written in the 1040 instructions...tell your tax guys they need to read the instructions more carefully.

Option 2: File as Married Filing Jointly (MFJ). This requires an SSN or ITIN from your spouse. Getting an ITIN is a few steps, but is possible. Read up on the process and then work on that W-7.

You can do #1 now and then amend (1040X) later once she has an SSN to get the better tax break.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

43 minutes ago, Snd said:

Thank you good advice, i will search how to apply for ITIN now so when the December comes i just use the number and file the taxes as married jointly. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, sonicview said:

Your tax guys are idiots.  File MFS and amend your return when she gets a SS card.

Make sure you get all of her income records for your 1040X (ammended return) because what you need to do is amend your return, declare her a resident for tax purposes, add her income, file the foreign earned income exclusion and exclude it, and bank the difference between MFS and MFJ.

Wait - is this for next year?

Edited by Nitas_man

58 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

follow the IRS directions by filing out the W7 with proof of marraige and spouse's ID for 2019 tax returns

this gives you the ITIN so you can file joint and be in lower tax bracket 

IRS is always the best place for tax info on returns

Thank you will read that. 

26 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Your tax guys are idiots.  File MFS and amend your return when she gets a SS card.

Make sure you get all of her income records for your 1040X (ammended return) because what you need to do is amend your return, declare her a resident for tax purposes, add her income, file the foreign earned income exclusion and exclude it, and bank the difference between MFS and MFJ.

Wait - is this for next year?

She never worked and never did income tax filing in her home-country, I will file MFS and then later once she arrive here i can amend my tax return.

Yes it is for the next year, i have to file my tax before her counselor processing, and will send last 3 years of transcript, this year i got married and i want to show that in tax return. So immigration officer see that i filed as married and not single. 

50 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Option 1 (Simple): File as Married Filing Separately (MFS). Write "NRA" in for her SSN. She doesn't need to file her own return.

These instructions are clearly written in the 1040 instructions...tell your tax guys they need to read the instructions more carefully.

Option 2: File as Married Filing Jointly (MFJ). This requires an SSN or ITIN from your spouse. Getting an ITIN is a few steps, but is possible. Read up on the process and then work on that W-7.

You can do #1 now and then amend (1040X) later once she has an SSN to get the better tax break.

Thank you! I am thinking to go with option 1 and once she arrive here, i amend my tax returns and go with option 2. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.