Scottie D. Luffy

Entering via LAX or Ontario International Airport

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Scottie D. Luffy said:

Ontario International Airport is actually based in Ontario, LA.

Not the one in Canada 🤣 Sorry got you confused.

Imagine it’s more expensive to fly through though, as it’s a smaller airport (I know Bob Hope always costs more on domestic flights)?

I’ve flown to LAX about 10 times in the last 2 years, all using a B12 visa - once, when it was insanely busy, it took me an hour to get through - generally less than 20 minutes though (not sure if there’s a separate immigrant visa line)...

Edited by Zoeeeeeee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
7 hours ago, laylalex said:

Former Valley girl here. You need to ask yourself this question: is less time and aggravation at Ontario (potentially) than at LAX worth more than driving from Ontario to LA if that's your final destination? If your flight gets in around rush hour, the 10 West can be a total parking lot. (Not to mention having to drive there to pick up the inbound passenger...) You may end up spending more time driving back to LA than it would have taken you to fly to LAX and drive from there. 

Just a thought!

I agree with this ^^^^^.  If LA is your final destination, who cares how long the lines are at CBP?  The wait times at immigration generally only cause an issue if trying to catch an outbound connecting flight.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

*~*~*POE question moved to “moving to the US” to be among similar topics*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
7 hours ago, laylalex said:

Former Valley girl here. You need to ask yourself this question: is less time and aggravation at Ontario (potentially) than at LAX worth more than driving from Ontario to LA if that's your final destination? If your flight gets in around rush hour, the 10 West can be a total parking lot. (Not to mention having to drive there to pick up the inbound passenger...) You may end up spending more time driving back to LA than it would have taken you to fly to LAX and drive from there. 

Just a thought!

it's just an hour of a drive, lets say 1.30. Not too bad. I live in NJ and had to go to JFK couple times... That was an.. attraction on its own.. lol friday 2pm, dropped off my parents, by the time i got home, my parents were almost over Greenland lol 6(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) hour to drive ~30ish miles for a hundred bucks cheaper tix, never again...

It depends on the person though. Some don't mind sitting in traffic or having an extra 1hr drive, vs some rather stay in line at the border. I have 0 patience when driving, so i'd rather wait in line (just not JFK. Never going there again).

On the other hand, you never know whats happening at the airport, if they have system maintenance, even in Ontario you could get stuck for a while. It's like planning when USCIS is gonna approve your case. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Scandi said:

"It's just an hour drive, let's say 1,5" says someone who apparently doesn't know that an hour drive easily can turn into 3 or even 4 hours in L.A. traffic depending on roadwork, accidents and what time of the day it is.

It all depends where is the destination after ONT international airport and what time of the day. If you arrive morning and your destination is towards LA city, Burbank, Pasadena, ALtadena, etc.... traffic is bad. Most people coming from Rancho Cucamonga, ONT and other San bernardino county cities are driving to go to work in the morning. 

I’ve always arrived at LAX every 8-8:30PM LA time and drive up to Pasadena. There is traffic but not that bad. 

If you don’t mind, which exact city is your final destination? They might also be confused of LA city and LA county.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed for

- Use inappropriate or offensive language that is sexually oriented, sexually suggestive, abusive, defamatory, obscene, profane, or hateful.

- Attempt to bypass the Forums language filter through the use of alternative characters to spell profanities or through the posting of images containing profanity.

further violations of the terms of service will result in suspension.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Actually LAX was not that bad as a K-1 arrival (I was with my fiance/wife). But it sucks as an airport....

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 hours ago, Kartinee23 said:

It all depends where is the destination after ONT international airport and what time of the day. If you arrive morning and your destination is towards LA city, Burbank, Pasadena, ALtadena, etc.... traffic is bad. Most people coming from Rancho Cucamonga, ONT and other San bernardino county cities are driving to go to work in the morning. 

I’ve always arrived at LAX every 8-8:30PM LA time and drive up to Pasadena. There is traffic but not that bad. 

If you don’t mind, which exact city is your final destination? They might also be confused of LA city and LA county.

My final destination is in Arcadia, which is like between LAX and ONT.

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Scottie D. Luffy said:

Ok so we are close! Yay! Now the only thing is, will you be able to get a direct flight from Thailand to ONT? I was checking  BKK-ONT and I only see flighs with one or two stops. which keans yor first stop (idk which state or airport) will be your POE. 

Ooops sorry didn’t see Taiwan. Let me check

Edited by Kartinee23

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Scottie D. Luffy said:

I tried Taipei to ONT and you have direct flight! I’m sure you are good. If you will arrive afternoon or evening ONT and drive to Arcadia, traffic isn’t bad. If you arrive morning, there will be traffic and gps will show red and yellow but actually it is NOT that bad. I personally like ONT more than LAX. 🤗 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
15 hours ago, payxibka said:

Direct flight to Taipei,  I was shocked 

It's literally the only commercial flight from an LA area airport other than LAX to somewhere outside of North America, which I was shocked to see (was wishfully looking around back when I was meeting Anastasia in international destinations, because there aren't many flights to outside North America from San Diego, and Ontario or Orange County would be more convenient than LAX). Most cities that size will have a random flight to Europe or two from a secondary airport.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
1 hour ago, Scottie D. Luffy said:

I see ONT airport on the list though.

Which airport are you planning to land? LAX or ONT?

Lol sorry I missed it! I need glasses! 🤣

we good! Will do ONT for sure! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would also think of this a different way.  At LAX, they are used to processing tons of people arriving on immigrant visas every day.  At Ontario, that might be so rare that they take a lot longer to do it or need to call for help.  There could even be a higher risk of a mistake arriving through a POE that infrequently processes immigrant visas.  So, the length of the line might not be the only factor to consider.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 8/2/2019 at 4:11 PM, AstroCanada said:

I would also think of this a different way.  At LAX, they are used to processing tons of people arriving on immigrant visas every day.  At Ontario, that might be so rare that they take a lot longer to do it or need to call for help.  There could even be a higher risk of a mistake arriving through a POE that infrequently processes immigrant visas.  So, the length of the line might not be the only factor to consider.

The way to deal with this very real prospect is to call ahead to the POE a few days ahead, ask for the shift supervisor, explain the situation, and politely ask if the appropriate personnel will be on duty.  CBP will appreciate your courtesy in tipping them off.

Brings back memories of when I took Mrs. T-B. across a land POE from a Mexico day-trip, with her first use of Advance Parole.  The CBP agents knew what AP was but had obviously never processed one.  It became comical at a couple of stages.  Fortunately, the port wasn't overwhelmed with other entrants at that time.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.