50 posts in this topic

Need help asap pls....i am a joint sponsor for my sister in law but i want to withdraw it after i found out that i could be responsible if she ever apply for government assistant. She doesnt want to cooperate when i told her im backing out, she doesnt want to provide her case number or the date of application. She told me that her lawyer said that she cannot give her case number to anybody because its too sensitive that might ruun her appliction if i wrote to the USCIS. She said that she will cancel it herself once she have the interview but i doubt it because she mentioned to me before that she might have an interview or not & they just gonna send her the green card then its too late for me. I want to write to the USCIS but i dont have any info about the case, except for her name, the name of the person who petition her & her address. What should i do? What reason can i write in the letter? 

Do NOT rely on her doing anything for you!!!!! Write, call, email, even  send smoke signals to USCIS NOW!!! Send them as much information as you can about her. You may not need her case number. And it is true that green card can be issued without an interview. 

Once she gets her green card that affidavit of support is legally enforceable. EVEN IF YOUR SISTER IN LAW GETS A DIVORCE IT IS STILL ENFORCEABLE.

Yes, it may mean her case may get denied but at least you will not be on the hook. Contact USCIS immediately. She has less of a risk on this because it is not her the government will come after. The fact that she won't understand about this and won't give you information speaks volumes. You have to be EXTREMELY AWARE of what you are signing. To many times we've seen regret signing things then try to scramble to get out of it.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

*** Moved to "Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits"

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Just now, Joyce1524 said:

What reason can i write in the letter? Is my financial status could be enough as a reason? I am attending school as of now & soon i need to work part time. & yes im scared what she might do in the future

You do not need a reason. AT ALL!!

You simply are not comfortable being a cosponsor. End of story.

5 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Exactly!!!

@Joyce1524, you should have your phone in your hand ready to dial when the offices open. Write may take some time. You should gather all the contact numbers now and call until you get a confirmation. You don't need a reason to pull the affidavit. If you don't want to be a cosponsor anymore, so be it. Start calling now and follow up with a letter later.

But when i search it up to withdraw i have to do it in writing. 

13 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Do NOT rely on her doing anything for you!!!!! Write, call, email, even  send smoke signals to USCIS NOW!!! Send them as much information as you can about her. You may not need her case number. And it is true that green card can be issued without an interview. 

Once she gets her green card that affidavit of support is legally enforceable. EVEN IF YOUR SISTER IN LAW GETS A DIVORCE IT IS STILL ENFORCEABLE.

Yes, it may mean her case may get denied but at least you will not be on the hook. Contact USCIS immediately. She has less of a risk on this because it is not her the government will come after. The fact that she won't understand about this and won't give you information speaks volumes. You have to be EXTREMELY AWARE of what you are signing. To many times we've seen regret signing things then try to scramble to get out of it.

Do u know where to address the letter? She doesnt wanna give me info at all. But all i know is that my brother is petitioning her for adjustment of status. 

2 minutes ago, Joyce1524 said:

But when i search it up to withdraw i have to do it in writing. 

You want to call to let them know you are pulling it. They will instruct you on the next steps. An official letter will be needed via fax or email. That is why I said you will follow up with a letter later. But first you need to make them aware. That way the green card isn't sent out just yet and gives you time to get the letter out.

1 minute ago, Daphne K said:

Agreed with answers above but I am a little perplexed that you only realize this now? Were you not aware what kind of fiancial commitment you made when you agreed to co-sponsor? 

No i wasnt aware at all. I was not familiar with that. She told me she just need to show it to the immigrations she can get her green card & that i dont have to worry bout anything its just a show. Until someone told me about AOS then i started research on the internet & there i read that they could go after me or i could be sued. I was surprised.

33 minutes ago, Joyce1524 said:

No i wasnt aware at all. I was not familiar with that. She told me she just need to show it to the immigrations she can get her green card & that i dont have to worry bout anything its just a show. Until someone told me about AOS then i started research on the internet & there i read that they could go after me or i could be sued. I was surprised.

OMG, that must have been a shock! Well, at least you are aware now and you are fixing it! 👍🏻

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Joyce1524 said:

Need help asap pls....i am a joint sponsor for my sister in law but i want to withdraw it after i found out that i could be responsible if she ever apply for government assistant. She doesnt want to cooperate when i told her im backing out, she doesnt want to provide her case number or the date of application. She told me that her lawyer said that she cannot give her case number to anybody because its too sensitive that might ruun her appliction if i wrote to the USCIS. She said that she will cancel it herself once she have the interview but i doubt it because she mentioned to me before that she might have an interview or not & they just gonna send her the green card then its too late for me. I want to write to the USCIS but i dont have any info about the case, except for her name, the name of the person who petition her & her address. What should i do? What reason can i write in the letter? 

You need to call USCIS today

You can withdraw the support affidavit anytime up to the time of the interview and approval.  If you do not, then you are on the hook for 10 years.  It cannot be withdrawn.

I suggest that you send a letter with the information that you have - name, address, name of her petitioner and both mail it in and make an appointment to hand carry that letter to a local USCIS office.  

Edited by Nitas_man

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.