irisheyes123

We are both living abroad! Can we still apply for the K1?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, cathykerbey said:

thank you @carmel34 - we have no problem being apart for 3-6 months. we realize we are very lucky and a lot of couples have it a lot worse than us. 

you might have an insight on this: 

We moved to Canada in September 2019 on a 2 year visa because my J1 VISA in the US expired and we wanted to make sure that we were suited to marry and eventually move back. I am from Ireland. IF the process for the CR-1 visa is taking over a year - would it be possible to SUBMIT the paperwork from Canada, and schedule the interview in Dublin, Ireland seeing as my Canadian visa will most likely be up by the time the interview comes around. 

Apologies and I appreciate your advice!

Yes you can file the I-130 petition from anywhere, it gets sent to the US then assigned to a USCIS service center.  Follow the instructions on the USCIS website exactly for how to do this.  And fees can be paid by credit card.  I would suggest that if you will be in Ireland for the interview, that you put your permanent mailing address as your address in Ireland and state Dublin as your interview location, then include your Canadian address as your current residency address.  The petition will take 6-8 months, sometimes longer, to be adjudicated, then after approval there is about another 4-6 months before the interview, so if you'll be living in Ireland a year after filing then that's where you will be interviewed.  You can file the I-130 as soon as you get married and have a marriage certificate.  Good luck with the process!  I recommend both you and the USC petitioner spend lots of time here on Visa Journey reading the guides and threads and also get to know the USCIS website info and NVC website info.  All the best!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I might have missed someone saying this, but the common-law marriage might make the OP "too married" for the K-1/fiance option anyway. (And CR-1 is definitely the better choice based on the circumstances presented in this thread)

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

2 hours ago, beloved_dingo said:

I might have missed someone saying this, but the common-law marriage might make the OP "too married" for the K-1/fiance option anyway. (And CR-1 is definitely the better choice based on the circumstances presented in this thread)

Not really because common-law in Canada is different than US common law.  https://shulman.ca/common-law-relationships/rights-obligations-common-law-couples-ontario/

Living common-law means you are living with a person who is not your spouse, but with whom you have a conjugal relationship, and to whom at least one of the following situations applies:

1. They have been living with you in a conjugal relationship for at least 12 continuous months.

Note
    In this definition, 12 continuous months includes any period you were separated for less than 90 days because of a breakdown in the relationship.

2. They are the parent of your child by birth or adoption.
  3. They have custody and control of your child (or had custody and control immediately before the child turned 19 years of age) and your child is wholly dependent on that person for support.

Did you know...

You are still considered to have a spouse or common-law partner if you were separated involuntarily (not because of a breakdown in your relationship). An involuntary separation could happen when one spouse or common-law partner is living away for work, school, or health reasons or is incarcerated.

[https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/personal-address-information/marital-status.html?fbclid=IwAR2udxdNRBhmPEo2Am7SJ0nvw-Emuc3G_PiJfsSPG0Lply-t1JwMN2ExgBM#common_law]

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

On 7/11/2019 at 6:45 AM, JFH said:

You can get married wherever you want for the spousal visa route. Canada, Iowa, Ireland, Bahamas, wherever your mood and your budget takes you. The only requirement is that the marriage is legal. 

The K-1 is most suited for couples who have the following four characteristics in their situation:

- don’t already live together

- the foreign partner cannot easily visit the US (comes from a country where visitor visa denial rates are high, particularly for single people with a love interest in the US)

- getting married in the foreign partner’s country is difficult due to costs, waiting periods, visa requirements, language issues, etc

- cannot bear to be apart after marriage 

You have none of the above, realistically. You’re already living together, you can easily visit the US to get married here if you wish, you can easily get married in Canada if you wish. And you are already living together so the fourth one doesn’t apply. 

Montreal embassy is very hot on domicile requirements. It’s very likely your husband will need to move back to the US before your interview. You can continue to visit at any point. He can visit you. You may be living apart for a few months but most of us going through this survive a lot longer apart. It is survivable. 

K-1 is also useful for same sex couples where the fiance lives in a country that does not recognize same sex marriage.  Somewhat germane to this discussion but inapplicable to Canada, or Iowa.

3 hours ago, DrSteve said:

K-1 is also useful for same sex couples where the fiance lives in a country that does not recognize same sex marriage.  Somewhat germane to this discussion but inapplicable to Canada, or Iowa.

As long as the couple marries somewhere it’s recognized then it’s irrelevant whether or not it’s recognized in the home country.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:43 AM, cathykerbey said:

Hello!

Myself and my partner Michael are currently living in Toronto on a two year work permit. I am from Ireland, and he from the US. When our Canadian visas expire (September 2020) we want to move back to the US, so now we are starting to put together our I-129F Packet. My question is - if he shows connections (i.e work contract/offer for September 2020) to the U.S are we able to apply from Canada while we wait it out, or should he move back to the U.S now? We would prefer to remain living together during this process.

Any tips out there? Thanks!

-Cathy

best choice ? Go to u,s get married, back to  Canada apply to u,s embassy (via Chicago & NVC ) for I-130.work in Canada, when the IR1 issued go back to u,s together with immigrant visa... 

easyyyyyyyyy...

26 minutes ago, cathykerbey said:

Thanks @jumbo mambo ! Can I ask why you suggest getting married in the US? Does it look better on our application instead of Canada? Thanks :)

Hi Cathy

YES , I definitely think its much better and looks and works better and that is not only for legal purposes but for all other reasons.

According to the law it'll say that it doesn't realty matter where the marriage took place so it all legal  and YES

BUT  if the marriage takes place in the U.S jurisdiction its much better BECAUSE   if you both were U.S citizens that would be easier to marry in Canada or elsewhere and maybe less paper work but you are an Ireland citizen and he is U.S  so  that would bring some extra paper work, questions and  stuff like that. so if you go and get the marriage licence in his state and city  that way you are in better hands because the documents will work better. if you know what I mean .

I just noticed that you plan to go for I-129F Fiance visa and  its ok but I would say dont do that because after entering to U.S you have to go thru the Adjustment of Status hustle and that is nowadays is like a hell. so dont do that and  just  go for I-130  immigrant relative visa 

that way you maybe wait little longer in Canada but if you do I-129F you have to prepare almost the same documents , like medical exam and enter to U.S with the same closed envelope and the U.S immigration interview at the POE and  start for AOS process ..so  why do that ? just go for I-130 and you ll be done sooner.

So I would still say go  together to his state and city and do the marriage and fly back. As you know applying for I-130  used to be directly thru the embassies but no more  so you have to apply thru the NVC and after you apply you ll have  your fingerprinting first and that follows the interview in the embassy and than receiving the immigrant visa and the POE and receive your residency in a matter of weeks  . so if you ask me that is better because you ll be living in the U.S so why go thru all the hustle and questions , like why in Canada, have you travelled to u,s with him and buncha other questions by USCIS ,so if you do it in the U.S thats it  its a matter of U.S  ..DONE

@jumbo mambo that makes total sense. thank you!! we were initially thinking of going for the I-129 but you and the other people on here are right: the I-130 is definitely the way to go :) if we couldn't do the wedding in his hometown (which is difficult to get to lol) could we get married in Buffalo NY (somewhere near Toronto) or would that defeat the purpose? 

2 minutes ago, cathykerbey said:

@jumbo mambo that makes total sense. thank you!! we were initially thinking of going for the I-129 but you and the other people on here are right: the I-130 is definitely the way to go :) if we couldn't do the wedding in his hometown (which is difficult to get to lol) could we get married in Buffalo NY (somewhere near Toronto) or would that defeat the purpos

Cathy 

You re very welcome , yes everyone else is right because as I mentioned you have to go thru almost to same thing so instead of I-129F  I-130 is better  except if the application is denied you cant appeal the decision .

if you are in Toronto yes  Buffalo NY is the best and closest city but Detroit or  Chicago is also same ,

yes you dont have to go to his hometown just to get a marriage licence so  you both can marry in any state and city.

by the way. as you may know there are three different ways for you to do this 

1- Getting the I-130 immigrant relative visa and entering to u.s and receiving a conditional card followed by a LPR card 

2- Getting a  K-1  and enter the u.s  and marry within 90 days and apply for Adjustment of status 

2- Getting married in that country and obtaining a  K-3 visa and entering to U.S and applying for Adjustment of Status 

As far as marrying outside of his home state concerns maybe  there will be some other extra  paper works  about him as non-resident of that state where marriage took place  and the taxes and all that questions will arise 

but it can be done..

On 7/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, jumbo mambo said:

2- Getting married in that country and obtaining a  K-3 visa and entering to U.S and applying for Adjustment of Status 

Incorrect.   Marrying in country is a spousal visa, I-130.  Marry anywhere you want, where it is legally available.  For example we married in Hong Kong.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An off-topic post has been removed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 7/17/2019 at 3:50 PM, cathykerbey said:

Thanks @jumbo mambo ! Can I ask why you suggest getting married in the US? Does it look better on our application instead of Canada? Thanks :)

I will chime in here.

No - LOL it doesn’t make a difference where you get married.  This “go marry in the US” thing is a derail.  MANY of us married outside the US.

Do you have some sort of residence/address/ties back to your home country?

The reason I am asking is on a temporary stay in a 3rd country where you think you may return to before the I130 is processed it might be better to file with permanent address in your home country / temporary in Canada.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 7/17/2019 at 5:00 PM, jumbo mambo said:

Hi Cathy

YES , I definitely think its much better and looks and works better and that is not only for legal purposes but for all other reasons.

We don’t actually advise others here on what we “think”.  

We advise based on what the rules say and what our experiences reflect.

Any post implying that “a case looks better” based on flying over / getting married in the US directly contradicts thousands of real experiences.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.