irisheyes123

We are both living abroad! Can we still apply for the K1?

37 posts in this topic

Hello!

Myself and my partner Michael are currently living in Toronto on a two year work permit. I am from Ireland, and he from the US. When our Canadian visas expire (September 2020) we want to move back to the US, so now we are starting to put together our I-129F Packet. My question is - if he shows connections (i.e work contract/offer for September 2020) to the U.S are we able to apply from Canada while we wait it out, or should he move back to the U.S now? We would prefer to remain living together during this process.

Any tips out there? Thanks!

-Cathy

Edited by cathykerbey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If you are both together, a K-1 would be not be the best idea, imo.  A marriage in Canada and a CR-1 would be a very good option based on what I read in your post:

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 5 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 5 months later)

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

To add to missleman,  the USC needs to have filed IRS tax returns while working outside the US

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad

and if you do have to leave Canada before the immigration interview,  make sure you get a criminal report from Canada as you will need it/ total time for this visa is about 12 to 14 months

Thank you @missileman - this definitely looks like an option worth exploring. I noticed this regarding common law marriage. (see attachment)

Myself and my partner were common law married in Canada in 2018. He is from Iowa, which recognizes common law marriage. Could we apply on this basis or do we have to be legally married?

Thank you!

Capture.PNG

12 minutes ago, cathykerbey said:

Thank you @missileman - this definitely looks like an option worth exploring. I noticed this regarding common law marriage. (see attachment)

Myself and my partner were common law married in Canada in 2018. He is from Iowa, which recognizes common law marriage. Could we apply on this basis or do we have to be legally married?

Thank you!

Capture.PNG

Legally married because you are able to get legally married.  Common-law only works if you're from a place where common-law is the only option and they don't allow marriage.  So while Canada doesn't care and says common-law and married are pretty much the same, but at least with common-law you don't have to get divorced (unlike most common law in the USA), the US immigration doesn't see it that way. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Agree with @NikLR.  In addition, it never a good idea to  leave any question in the minds of immigration authorities.  A legal, documented marriage is the way to go.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, cathykerbey said:

Thanks @missileman once again! From further research it seems that the I-130 can be submitted from Canada if sent to the lockbox in Chicago. Is it your understanding that myself and my partner can marry here in Toronto and apply from here? Thank you! 

Yes..That is the reason a CR-1 is frequently a great option for those are already living together.

Edited by missileman

8 hours ago, cathykerbey said:

Thank you @JeanneAdil - awesome advice! Should this proof be submitted along with the initial I-130 to the USCIS or should it be provided later on in the application with the other financial supporting documents? I appreciate your help!

You can get married wherever you want for the spousal visa route. Canada, Iowa, Ireland, Bahamas, wherever your mood and your budget takes you. The only requirement is that the marriage is legal. 

The K-1 is most suited for couples who have the following four characteristics in their situation:

- don’t already live together

- the foreign partner cannot easily visit the US (comes from a country where visitor visa denial rates are high, particularly for single people with a love interest in the US)

- getting married in the foreign partner’s country is difficult due to costs, waiting periods, visa requirements, language issues, etc

- cannot bear to be apart after marriage 

You have none of the above, realistically. You’re already living together, you can easily visit the US to get married here if you wish, you can easily get married in Canada if you wish. And you are already living together so the fourth one doesn’t apply. 

Montreal embassy is very hot on domicile requirements. It’s very likely your husband will need to move back to the US before your interview. You can continue to visit at any point. He can visit you. You may be living apart for a few months but most of us going through this survive a lot longer apart. It is survivable. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
19 hours ago, cathykerbey said:

if he shows connections (i.e work contract/offer for September 2020) to the U.S

This will be needed for the visa interview in Montreal about a year after filing the I-130 if you decide to go that route, or less time if you choose the fiancee visa.  They will want to see proof of US domicile for the petitioner, and proof of US income for a period of time to show financial stability in the US.  This is why he might have to move to the US three to six months before you do, so you will have a period of living apart but that's part of this journey.  Do a lot more research on both of these issues (US domicile and US-based steady income for the USC petitioner) so that you are better informed and prepared.  Good luck!

thank you @carmel34 - we have no problem being apart for 3-6 months. we realize we are very lucky and a lot of couples have it a lot worse than us. 

you might have an insight on this: 

We moved to Canada in September 2019 on a 2 year visa because my J1 VISA in the US expired and we wanted to make sure that we were suited to marry and eventually move back. I am from Ireland. IF the process for the CR-1 visa is taking over a year - would it be possible to SUBMIT the paperwork from Canada, and schedule the interview in Dublin, Ireland seeing as my Canadian visa will most likely be up by the time the interview comes around. 

Apologies and I appreciate your advice!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 hours ago, cathykerbey said:

Thank you @JeanneAdil - awesome advice! Should this proof be submitted along with the initial I-130 to the USCIS or should it be provided later on in the application with the other financial supporting documents? I appreciate your help!

the IRS tax returns are required later at the NVC stage along with the affidavit of support

it is a good idea to look to the above "guides "   as it goes step by step thru the process

and believe me spouse is usually the way to go as there is a big advantage when the immigrant can work when coming to the US without going thru a long expensive AOS wait 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
1 hour ago, cathykerbey said:

We moved to Canada in September 2019 on a 2 year visa because my J1 VISA in the US expired and we wanted to make sure that we were suited to marry and eventually move back.

Just double-checking to avoid unpleasant surprises: Your J1 is not subject to the two-year home residency requirement?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.