EliLA

US Visa Interview with a 221G Administrative Processing Result

128 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

June 26th, 2019 

Interview  day

Officer who interviewed us asked us many questions which were answered with the truth. Didn’t ask for any documentation, he  asked only for pictures. In my heart I felt we were about to be approved, I praised God as this guy was typing his fingers away... Then he stepped away from his desk came back with a letter in hand which at this time I still thought it was the approval.... then he proceeded to write 221G on a paper that he had on his desk. I knew what this code meant as I’ve read a lot about it before.  In my head I said

“ This (removed) is not about to give us the 221G” WELL THIS (removed) SURE DID

Case is now in AP 😔

Questions asked

To him

1) how you meet her ( met through my aunt who is his cousin. My aunt is married to my dad’s brother ) 

2) Was she legally married when you met her ? ( yes I was but separated since 2015)

3) Were you married when you met her?

( No. He Divorced since March 2018) but separated since 2017

3) how many times she traveled to Cuba 

4) What were you doing in Germany in 1984 . ( he was born in Germany because his dad was working at the Cuban embassy at the time) 

5) What does your dad do for a living.

( Diplomat 🤦🏽‍♀️)

6) You have kids? Ages ?

7) What do you do for a living.? What other jobs have you done before current one ?

8)have you visited other countries and what were you doing there  ( yes Suriname for three months in 2017 visiting friends ) 

To me 

1)You were married to “.     “. Was he American ? ( no he wasn’t he was born in Colombia ) at this point you know they knew I filed for green card for him in 2004 

2)what do you do for a living

3) you still work  

4) why do you want to marry him in US and not in Cuba ( I want my parents and siblings to be there with me ) 

5) If his visa is approved where would he live ? 

6) who do your share the apartment with 

7) you have a 2 bedroom apartment ? (removed)

completely heart broken :( 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Did the 221g ask for anything?   Administrative Processing is completely normal....All cases go through some form.....Hopefully, you will see approval quickly.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

15 minutes ago, Elizabethlh said:

completely heart broken

Calm down. Did the 221g ask for anything else to be submitted ? Lots of people for the 221g. It's a "catch-all" reason, including reason such as: "I don't know what to do with your application right now, so I will 221g you until I figure out". Just be patient. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, missileman said:

Did the 221g ask for anything?   Administrative Processing is completely normal....All cases go through some form.....Hopefully, you will see approval quickly.

The letter states the petition is incomplete. Then says it is under administrative processing and it could take up to 60 days.

No additional documentation was asked for ,after giving them what they asked for before they called us to interview window .. ( birth certificate , copy of passport , divorce decree, affidavit along with supporting documents, and beneficiary packet prepped by US consulate in Havana pre document check)

I’m still in Guyana where interviews are taking place for Cubans. I’m planning to go to embassy tomorrow and speak to an American with authority see if I can do anything while I am still here 

Timeline
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

Calm down. Did the 221g ask for anything else to be submitted ? Lots of people for the 221g. It's a "catch-all" reason, including reason such as: "I don't know what to do with your application right now, so I will 221g you until I figure out". Just be patient. 

Thank you 

It only says  petition is incomplete .. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Elizabethlh said:

Thank you 

Sounds like routine admin processing.   Unfortunately, there is no way to know how long it will take......hope for the best!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Elizabethlh said:

Thank you 

If the petition is incomplete that is a bigger deal than if the visa application is incomplete 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

If the petition is incomplete that is a bigger deal than if the visa application is incomplete 

Sorry it’s on Spanish so I’m trying to translate “ solicitud está incompleta ” means  “Application is incomplete” 

Application is incomplete can mean multiple things. The best time to discuss the 221g that he handed to you was right there at his window so you would have more clarification. Well maybe and maybe you won't see a supervisor. They avoid meeting with applicants because I am sure it is emotional for the beneficiary and they just don't want to get into a confrontation.

Go see what you can find out is the only suggestion but be prepared that you won't meet with anyone.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

3 hours ago, payxibka said:

I don’t think Consular Officers have the authority to readjudicate petitions approved by USCIS. In fact, they are obligated to take the approved petition as prima facie evidence that the beneficiary have met the requirements of the visa classification. It is highly theoretical but the consular officers have zero authority to do anything about an approved petition. 

Timeline
Just now, USS_Voyager said:

I don’t think Consular Officers have the authority to readjudicate petitions approved by USCIS. In fact, they are obligated to take the approved petition as prima facie evidence that the beneficiary have met the requirements of the visa classification. It is highly theoretical but the consular officers have zero authority to do anything about an approved petition. 

I think you need to talk with John&Rose, exactly what happened to him.  Embassy noticed an error in the petition sent it back

YMMV

5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I think you need to talk with John&Rose, exactly what happened to him.  Embassy noticed an error in the petition sent it back

The error was at the I-129f application stage for John. He received an RFE because he forgot to tick the box for prior "arrests" and that is what got the ball rolling. Here is his statement and the tie back to the entry in the thread where he revealed his error.

"I failed to mention a 30 year old misdemeanor arrest that was dropped and later expunged.  It was my fault and partially the fault of the company we used to help with the petition.  The governments instructions were very clear.  The company we used was not as clear as they should have been.  Since there are no public records and no possibility of me getting any information, I assumed it was no longer an impediment.  The expungement ordered all records, digital and hard, to be destroyed.  There was no record that I could produce so I failed to add it to the petition.  That was my mistake and we were denied because of the petitioner failing to disclose information in the petition."

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/682870-september-2018-i-129f-filers/?page=5

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

The error was at the I-129f application stage for John. He received an RFE because he forgot to tick the box for prior "arrests" and that is what got the ball rolling. Here is his statement and the tie back to the entry in the thread where he revealed his error.

No RFE, this happened in Manila 

8 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Isn’t it because he failed to disclose a past conviction on record? Or is that a different guy?

Manila found it.  Didn't accept the petition approval 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.