visa992291

Mother-in-Law Denied Tourist Visa from Mexico for having only 1 child

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, visa992291 said:

4) Mother-in-law pays $750 (about going rate) to fly Acapulco to Toronto. We drive 4 hours which isn't bad and seems kinda cost effective besides daily meals for 5 people and hotels would cost a fortune. Not to mention I'd be dragged over there for a week when to be honest I don't have any relationship with her ! 

She would need a visitor visa or ETA to enter Canada.  ETA doesn't guarantee entry though.

More often than not, probably due to Canada being aware of many using them as a sort of "stepping stone" to the States, a recent denial of a US visa can lead to a subsequent denial of a Canadian visa (usually for the same reasons:  no strong ties back to the home country)...Canada will be aware of the US visa denial as they cross-check against US databases during the application process, and tends to follow suit.

That being said, she can always try and hope for the best, if you chose Option#4.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm pretty sure she wasn't denied for being the mother of one and that she was actually denied for having more ties to the US than to Mexico.

10 minutes ago, Cathi said:

I'm pretty sure she wasn't denied for being the mother of one and that she was actually denied for having more ties to the US than to Mexico.

Wife said they asked reason for visit and she said to visit her daughter. They asked if she had any other children and she said no. I don't talk to my mother-in-law and don't know all the details of the 30 second conversation just going on what my wife said.

She has ZERO TIES to the US aside from having a daughter that moved here 10 years ago. But according to half of you guys on here house/employment/tons-of-family---dozens-of-family/friends/culture/language/entire life/everything she knows...... is completely outweighed by having a kid that happened to move to the US a decade ago lol. 

Edited by visa992291

58 minutes ago, Lazybones18 said:

Why don’t u go for option 2 ... it will take 1-1.5 years for her to get green card ... if I am not mistaken ???? 

however she needs to stay in USA permanently and cannot use that visa for visit only... it’s a immigrant visa 

Could be used as a backup plan if in 10 years I have enough money to hand her $1500-$2500 a month to live in a nearby home/apt but that is unlikely. 

She has no desire to abandon her extremely strong ties (:D) to her home/life in Mexico. 

Timeline

Is it put on the application cause I'm playing middle man and my wife filled out her mom's application and no idea what she put.

Like you said you are playing middle man and may not have all the information from your MIL as to how the interview went/full reasons behind the denial.

Do you know what questions were asked of her during the interview, and how she answered them?

Did she say anything about her daughter/you financially supporting her, or her trip (which can lead a CO to believe her daughter/you would continue to financially support her should she decide to overstay any visa)?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

8 minutes ago, visa992291 said:

She has ZERO TIES to the US aside from having a daughter that moved here 10 years ago. But according to half of you guys on here house/employment/tons-of-family---dozens-of-family/friends/culture/language/entire life/everything she knows...... is completely outweighed by having a kid that happened to move to the US a decade ago lol. 

Not sure what part is funny, as that's exactly how we see it which is most likely exactly how the CO saw it.

It's common sense.

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Seems odd that in 10 years they never met?

Retiring in the US is only possible for the very wealthy so would give up on that.

They have talked every single day since day 1 and in 10 years maybe missed 1 handful of days of talking for at least 30 minutes. To contrast, I've spoke with my brother maybe 3 times in 4 years lol so their relationship is extraordinarily tight compared to most people.

Reason they haven't done the regular vacations is that we married in mid-20s and she is using my money. And I didn't have the thousands to give to her charity of going on a multi-thousand dollar vacation. Finally in the last few years (in my 30s now) starting to do much better financially. 

3 years ago, when my daughter turned 1 years old, she went back to visit. Wife had the luxury of going back for 2 months since she doesn't work.

With the newborn (9 months now) it would be another good time for them to reunite and we thought a summer visit her would be nice and one of the cheaper options and more convenient. 

But it is a money situation. One income household (2 if you count me giving her $300 tax-free per week). On top of what I do, which is probably above-average, I'm not about to hand her a $3000 bonus every year to go on vacation. So that is why they have only seen each other 1 time in person in 10 years. And my money situation has only been halfway decent in the last 3 years or so. 

Have no idea what you are talking about in regards to retirement, maybe you can elaborate?

35 minutes ago, Going through said:

Like you said you are playing middle man and may not have all the information from your MIL as to how the interview went/full reasons behind the denial.

Do you know what questions were asked of her during the interview, and how she answered them?

Did she say anything about her daughter/you financially supporting her, or her trip (which can lead a CO to believe her daughter/you would continue to financially support her should she decide to overstay any visa)?

I'll have to find out but that seems like a valid point and possibility. 

44 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

Not sure what part is funny, as that's exactly how we see it which is most likely exactly how the CO saw it.

It's common sense.

There literally is not a single reason for visit that cannot be looked at as suspicious. I would rank visiting the daughter and newborn very low on the scale. 1 person out of 320 million that she knows.

If it's an area known for high rates of illegal immigration/overstays/etc. and the "suspect" has a brother, 2 sisters, 12 grandchildren, 3 sons and 2 daughters, and a whole network of people that could potentially house her then I could see that as suspicious. Just 1 person cannot be considered "1 person too many" and that is why it is funny. Cause it does not make sense. 

Edited by visa992291

Option 3 (wife visiting Mexico) sounds extremely expensive like lighting $3000 to $5000 on fire.

$3-5k for a plane ticket to Mexico? What’s your wife doing? Taking a private jet? Surely she will be staying with her mother in her home? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

15 minutes ago, visa992291 said:

1 person out of 320 million that she knows.

But the only one in the world for whom she would do anything, literally anything. There are very few people in your life who love you enough  to give you a kidney if you ever need it. One of those would be your mother/daughter. You have a daughter yourself. If she suddenly disappeared to another country wouldn’t you do anything to see her again? You sound very blasé about parent-child relationships. Like they are casual acquaintances. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 minute ago, JFH said:

But the only one in the world for whom she would do anything, literally anything. There are very few people in your life who love you enough  to give you a kidney if you ever need it. One of those would be your mother/daughter. You have a daughter yourself. If she suddenly disappeared to another country wouldn’t you do anything to see her again? You sound very blasé about parent-child relationships. Like they are casual acquaintances. 

And a relationship through which someone could attempt to adjust status, which is the concern of the CO.

37 minutes ago, JFH said:

$3-5k for a plane ticket to Mexico? What’s your wife doing? Taking a private jet? Surely she will be staying with her mother in her home? 

I overestimated travel costs cause newborn free. It would be roughly $1600-$1800 for the 2 tickets. Then food for couple weeks. Easily $3000 total she'd probably stay 2 weeks in Mexico. What she thinks she wants to do now is have her mom travel from ACA (Acapulco) to YQG (windsor) which would only be $750 approx (if booking at least 1 month out). I'd drop wife and kids off and come back in a week. This would probably be around $2000 hotel/food/air/etc.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, visa992291 said:

What she thinks she wants to do now is have her mom travel from ACA (Acapulco) to YQG (windsor) which would only be $750 approx (if booking at least 1 month out).

Ensure your wife is aware that her mother needs to apply to be able to enter Canada as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.