IsabelleFredrick

How soon can you work after filing AOS?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

Can I marry without a SSN? I read that one needs a SSN for the marriage certificate/license/whatever its called

State dependent.   For most, not required.  How else would destination weddings happen?

YMMV

You do not need an SSN to marry.  It is advisable to apply for it straight away after arriving.  My husband applied for his a day after arriving, and we got married 5 days later.  Paperwork filed about two weeks after that, and biometrics a few weeks later.  

We were lucky because he received his EAD/AP card < 4 months after biometrics.  The GC is another story because our FO (Seattle) has one of the longest wait times in the country at present.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife filed and received her SSN after marriage, and showed our certificate, and got the card in her married name.  Now here was the kicker..  Since her new SSN card had her married name, and her passport had her maiden name, she could not get much done in the way of a joint bank account,  State issued ID card, or DL, etc, as Arizona needed two official documents, and one with a picture but Both must have the same name.  So she had to wait to get her EAD then got the rest of the things needed.    She did not need the SSN until after the EAD arrived and it would have been much easier then get the SSN in her Married name,  Or... she should have used the maiden name on the SSN and then change it afterwards. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

As others have said SSN requirements are dependent on local/state laws/requirements. Check locally for specifics.  As of today, the VJ stats indicate that USCIS is currently processing EAD/AP (I-765/I-131) applications with NOA1 receipts dated 12/26/18 and 12/27/18, respectively. It behooves the K1 beneficiary to get married ASAP after their POE, assemble all of your required paperwork (see VJ K1/K2 AOS guide for specifics, https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos/). Be sure to get your I-94 paperwork from CBP (sometimes they need some prodding to "find" a I-94 record). In the middle of all that don't forget getting your SSN. When you get your marriage certificate, inquire about the cost to obtain multiple copies. Here in the Seattle area, it is $3 for the first certified copy, and $1 for each additional copy. Heck, we got ten bucks worth... You never know when you will need a certified copy of your marriage certificate. :thumbs:

File your AOS/EAD/AP (I-485/I-765/I-131) petitions/applications ASAP after your POE. If they are filed concurrently, there are no additional fees for the EAD and AP applications. The beneficiary cannot work (with SSN) or leave the country (without serious repercussions) until they have in their possession either their EAD/AP combo card or their 2-year conditional Green Card. Check the VJ Processing Timelines for the current timelines for the various petitions/applications, https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/ . The VJ K1 visa flowchart provides a good roadmap to follow, the times may be a bit off, https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow/ .

Sit back, relax, and consider taking up a hobby. At present, processing times are tending to be quite protracted.

YMMV

Good luck on your immigration journey. 

Edited by Pitaya (火龙果)

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife had her SS card 10 days after arrival. Went to the SS office 18 hours after landing and she was in the system. Had to kinda prod the guy at the SS office to check the computer, he thought it took a few weeks also. Boy was he humbled after being proven wrong. I admit... It felt good to be right. We had EAD AP in 83 days, but I think I just got lucky, someone dropped my folder, didn't Know what stack it was in, and just put it on the top of the next pile. I filed a expedite, but had approval before expedite was approved. Felt like I won the lottery when I got the approval notice in the mail.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
6 hours ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

Can I marry without a SSN? I read that one needs a SSN for the marriage certificate/license/whatever its called

You can get married without a SSN. Just say you don't have one. I would apply before getting married, but you don't need to wait to receive the card.

***Moved from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures to "Working & Traveling During US Immigration"

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

@IsabelleFredrick Yea... if you ever wanted to develop your craft, or talent for something, or practicing whatever skill you're good at that can become lucrative in the future, these 6 months is your chance. 

You can use these 6 months to be the best version of yourself. It really depends on your perspective and how you use your time. 

Some people see the idea of waiting 6 months and start to crumble, others see it and use it as an opportunity to shine. Rather than pouring their soul on a 9-5.

The struggle may seem real and 6 months may be a long time, but in the grander scheme of things, it's not (in my opinion). It's through that struggle that you can become stronger, and your relationship can become tighter when you overcome that obstacle. 

Again, it's all about how you look at it. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
16 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

You do not need an SSN to marry.  It is advisable to apply for it straight away after arriving.  My husband applied for his a day after arriving, and we got married 5 days later.  Paperwork filed about two weeks after that, and biometrics a few weeks later.  

We were lucky because he received his EAD/AP card < 4 months after biometrics.  The GC is another story because our FO (Seattle) has one of the longest wait times in the country at present.

I heard that you are advised to wait for at least 10 days so you appear on the computer. How where you able to apply so fast if you don't mind me asking?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, SugarB said:

Can they enroll in a university while waiting for AOS

There's no all-encompassing answer to that question, but typically the answer is that universities require enrollees to have their employment authorization (EAD) at a minimum. Some require more, some require less. Your best bet is to go to the website of a specific university you are interested in and read through their admissions policy. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Mary&Rafa said:

I heard that you are advised to wait for at least 10 days so you appear on the computer. How where you able to apply so fast if you don't mind me asking?

This is the age of computers.......Electronic I-94s records update quickly.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
7 hours ago, missileman said:

This is the age of computers.......Electronic I-94s records update quickly.

Sounds to me I'll be going the day after getting to the States. I just hope I can get my drivers license as well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.