Biffa

AB60 and California drivers license

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought CA was pretty clear about what you can get as a DL, ID I have no idea.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife got an AB60 license in CA. She came here on a K1 visa. The people at the dmv were very friendly and helpful. I just told them she wanted an AB60 license and did all the paperwork normally. She just got her EAD so we're going to try to convert it to a regular licenses. I don't think we will have any issues but we will see. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Update: So I went to the DMV with all of my paperwork, i94, visa, ssn, proof of addresss. All to be told I am not eligible for a drivers license or a real id because I don’t have more than 60 days on my k1 “so the computer automatically denies it”. 

So there we go. Maybe I’ll give the AB60 a go after all, another day. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Update: So I went to the DMV with all of my paperwork, i94, visa, ssn, proof of addresss. All to be told I am not eligible for a drivers license or a real id because I don’t have more than 60 days on my k1 “so the computer automatically denies it”. 

So there we go. Maybe I’ll give the AB60 a go after all, another day. 

That's exactly what they told us and I just said ok give her a AB60!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, JJtheJetPlane said:

That's exactly what they told us and I just said ok give her a AB60!

Thank god someone else has gone through it. Perhaps the other commenters on the thread did when the rules were different. When you asked for the AB60 did they put up a fight? What did you have to provide for the AB60? I feel that once they know you’re here “legally” they might put up a fight. 

Timeline

I can not say I have seen everybody who has posted and went this route, but all the ones I have seen had no issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I can not say I have seen everybody who has posted and went this route, but all the ones I have seen had no issue.

What do you mean? I just went the route everyone suggested and it doesn’t work. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Biffa said:

What do you mean? I just went the route everyone suggested and it doesn’t work. 

Everyone?

You did not qualify for a Regular DL, you do for an AB 60.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I haven't lived in CA for about 15 years. So my memory is a little fuzzy.

Whine I was living there you didn't need a DL to register a car or have insurance. Any type of official ID and proof of residency (utility bill, rental agreement, etc.) was good enough.  I believe this is because a DL is not a requirement for owning a car. But the still needs to be registered. Owning a car does not mean you're the one driving it. 

Same was true for insurance since it was/is a requirement for registering a car. Of course you would have to pay a lot more $$$ because the plan would cover any driver with a valid licence.

As far as obtaining a gold star ID/DL I don't know. 

Again I've been out of CA for a long time and don't plan on living there again.  

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

I am from Australia and kind of going through this (I am going through this with a SSN and green card as I came here on CR1) .

First, figure out if you are going to have to take the exam and a practical test to get your AB60 licence, if you have to take a practical test you can do it by appointment only - at my local appointment centre the current wait time is about 3 months out and multiple centres near me have no appointments available at all. Plus you need to have a licenced california driver at your test, so you also need to find a time that fits in with two work schedules etc.

Second, in California you can legally drive on a foreign licence as long as it is valid. They say you must get a California licence within 10 days on their website if you are a California resident, but that is physically impossible given it takes months to get an appointment https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/ca_dl

I was able to register my car, for insurance reasons though I put it in both my and my wife's name and she added the car and me as an additional driver to her policy. I was able to use my car registration documents as proof of address, as well as a phone bill and a health insurance bill. 

12/26/17 - NOA1

06/27/18 - NOA2 (+183 days)

07/11/18 - Case sent to NVC (+14 days)

07/18/18 - NVC Received (+7 days)

08/10/18 - NVC Case Number (+23 days)

09/06/18 - All Docs Submitted (+27 days)

09/19/18 - Case Complete at NVC (+13 days)

10/18/18 -  Interview appointment letter received (+29 days)

11/20/18 - Interview Date (+33 days) - APPROVED!

11/26/18 - Visa Received 

Here is how it was explained to me recently. Caution, this was explained to me by people that work with VIRGINIA STATE POLICE AND VA DMV.

You are allowed to drive on your foreign license while visiting the country. When you are a resident of a state you are required to get a DL from that state.

Half of them stated, you are living in the state therefor you are a resident and therefor you need a state license. The fact you don't qualify for that is not our problem, resulting in you are not able to drive.

The other half went this route. You are not able to get a license since you can't proof your a resident of the state. If you can't proof you are a resident, you are not and therefor you are visiting and can drive on your foreign license.

There were also some insurance people at this party and things got really interesting at that point. In the end they all agreed that the K-1 is a small problem that nobody really knows how to deal with but the numbers are not big enough to make it an issue that is going to get solved soon.

The CA AB60 license does solve this problem however you cannot travel with it. If you do go out of state with it you really need other proof of legal presence on you.

Timeline
56 minutes ago, redvines said:

I am from Australia and kind of going through this (I am going through this with a SSN and green card as I came here on CR1) .

First, figure out if you are going to have to take the exam and a practical test to get your AB60 licence, if you have to take a practical test you can do it by appointment only - at my local appointment centre the current wait time is about 3 months out and multiple centres near me have no appointments available at all. Plus you need to have a licenced california driver at your test, so you also need to find a time that fits in with two work schedules etc.

Second, in California you can legally drive on a foreign licence as long as it is valid. They say you must get a California licence within 10 days on their website if you are a California resident, but that is physically impossible given it takes months to get an appointment https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/ca_dl

I was able to register my car, for insurance reasons though I put it in both my and my wife's name and she added the car and me as an additional driver to her policy. I was able to use my car registration documents as proof of address, as well as a phone bill and a health insurance bill. 

Seriously 3 months? God. 

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Fr8dog said:

Here is how it was explained to me recently. Caution, this was explained to me by people that work with VIRGINIA STATE POLICE AND VA DMV.

You are allowed to drive on your foreign license while visiting the country. When you are a resident of a state you are required to get a DL from that state.

Half of them stated, you are living in the state therefor you are a resident and therefor you need a state license. The fact you don't qualify for that is not our problem, resulting in you are not able to drive.

The other half went this route. You are not able to get a license since you can't proof your a resident of the state. If you can't proof you are a resident, you are not and therefor you are visiting and can drive on your foreign license.

There were also some insurance people at this party and things got really interesting at that point. In the end they all agreed that the K-1 is a small problem that nobody really knows how to deal with but the numbers are not big enough to make it an issue that is going to get solved soon.

The CA AB60 license does solve this problem however you cannot travel with it. If you do go out of state with it you really need other proof of legal presence on you.

Thanks for the input. Seriously feels like you get punished for following the rules!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I've moved to CA on K-1. I was able to get a bank account, get myself added to PG&E bills, get me on the lease, and Kaiser insurance even though the only thing I had was my marriage license (I was late to apply for SSN).

Tried to get AB60 from 2 different DMV's about 2 months into the EAD application, they said I'm better off waiting for EAD because AB60 takes about 6 mo to go through all the security checks and I can't cancel it, so if I know I'll have my EAD before that I better wait and apply via normal process.

In your case, I'd recommend getting more proofs of residence and applying normally, you should be able to do that.

Hope it helps!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You can't drive on just a real ID, you need a valid operators license, or DL. The real ID is just a gold star on your license that shows you proved residency, it does not mean you are here legally? Love to know where a real ID proves immigration status? California along with most other states requires you to prove your current immigration status via I94, green card, EAD. If not you get the AB60 license that they will give to anyone with a pulse, but expect higher insurance rates to go along with that license. You can get a license valid until your I94 expires, but by the time you pass the written test and get the driving test done your I94 is going to be expired anyway, things are not very fast at the DMV in California. 

Also, driving as a tourist on a immigrant Visa is not advised, you can pull it off for a month or so, but everyone thinks you can drive on your passport for 6 months or something as a tourist, you are not a tourist, you came to live here. So don't believe that, you are a intending immigrant, not a tourist.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.