Biffa

AB60 and California drivers license

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

California has three forms of ID

REAL ID for people lawfully in the USA 

federal non complaint ID for people lawfully in the USA but cannot or don’t want to prove it 

AB60 ID for people not lawfully in the USA. 

You want the first and qualify for first. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

federal non complaint ID for people lawfully in the USA but cannot or don’t want to prove it 

And he can drive with that. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

Do they just give you the Real ID or do you have to sit a driving test? 

Also for the real ID - I haven't changed my name on my foreign passport yet, but have changed it on my marriage cert. Which name do I use for Real ID? Cos it asks for my "true name - the one on my passport and birth cert"

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Ok, does this help to get a drivers license?

To get a  REAL ID CA state drivers license you must meet the requirements for REAL ID as discussed as nauseam in this thread plus prove you know how to drive. 

Proof of knowing how to drive:

* have an acceptable out of state DL

* pass a written and road test 

* sometimes pass written test and have an acceptable out of state DL Each time I have moved to CA I had an out of state DL and took a written test.  

You must also pass a vision test.  

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

To get a  REAL ID CA state drivers license you must meet the requirements for REAL ID as discussed as nauseam in this thread plus prove you know how to drive. 

Proof of knowing how to drive:

* have an acceptable out of state DL

* pass a written and road test 

* sometimes pass written test and have an acceptable out of state DL Each time I have moved to CA I had an out of state DL and took a written test.  

You must also pass a vision test.  

Yes but Im from New Zealand. Im the foreign spouse. Obviously my US citizen husband has a DL. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Also for the real ID - I haven't changed my name on my foreign passport yet, but have changed it on my marriage cert. Which name do I use for Real ID? Cos it asks for my "true name - the one on my passport and birth cert"

Decide what you want. ID or DL. 

Sorry name changes are outside my scope. I don’t believe in them. I didn’t change my name when I moved to the USA and I don’t expect my wife to change her name. So far she has taken my advice.  Once she stops I will wash my hands of the mess. 

Timeline
Just now, Biffa said:

Yes but Im from New Zealand. Im the foreign spouse. Obviously my US citizen husband has a DL. 

I don’t see your point. I did not mention your USA citizen husband in my post. The only relevance he has in this entire process is that he has proof of CA residency. That combined with your marriage cert is proof of your CA residency. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Mary&Rafa said:

And he can drive with that. 

We don’t do it that way in Cal.  

All state DL are state ID. Not all state ID are state DL.  

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

We don’t do it that way in Cal.  

All state DL are state ID. Not all state ID are state DL.  

That's not correct. Real ID DL is indeed valid to drive in CA.

Edited by Mary&Rafa

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Regarding the name change, please read on the website I sent you under "Tracing Relationships". I understand you might have a lot of questions, but most of those can be answered by reading official sites and documents.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mary&Rafa said:

That's not correct. Real ID DL is indeed valid to drive in CA.

Never said otherwise.  I wrote,

All state DL are state ID. Not all state ID are state DL.  

Those are two logically flawless statements that are indisputable.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Never said otherwise.  I wrote,

All state DL are state ID. Not all state ID are state DL.  

Those are two logically flawless statements that are indisputable.  

You are absolutely right. I interpreted that wrong.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Your marriage certificate is your proof of name change, so you can provide it with your passport to get your driver's license in your new name.

Is the car going to be in your name only, or will it be you and your spouse? You can be on the car title and insurance as an unlicensed driver, you just can't drive it. It would be best to wait for the EAD to apply for the regular license, so you don't have to do AB60. 

This is the process that we went through with my husband. We bought a new car after applying for AOS, and registered it with both of our names. He was ready to apply for a license two months later, still without EAD. We also considered doing the AB60, but luckily his EAD came in just a couple weeks later.

If you do try, know that your experience will vary greatly depending on the DMV person who "helps" you. The first person we talked to was helpful and told us what we needed. But when we came back, the second person obviously had an issue with the AB60. She was very rude and only tried to discourage him from applying for it.

AOS from J-1
2/26/2018    I-130 / I-485 / I-765 / I-131 packet sent
3/12/2018    NOA1

4/02/2018    Biometrics
7/17/2018    EAD & AP approved
9/20/2018    Interview - Approved!

9/28/2018    Green card in hand

ROC
6/26/2020    I-751 packet sent

6/29/2020    Case received
7/03/2020    WAC case number

7/29/2020    Submitted SR for non-delivery of notice

8/04/2020    NOA1 notice date

8/13/2020    Received NOA1

1/06/2021    Case transferred to NBC

1/21/2021    Fingerprints applied - no bio appt

6/23/2021    Approved! - New card ordered

Naturalization
9/04/2022    N-400 submitted online

9/04/2022    NOA1 + Biometrics reused

11/8/2022    Interview scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 hours ago, Biffa said:

Hi everybody,

I know this topic has been talked about before. But I wanted to re-ask.

Came to California on a K1 and recently got married, lawyer is still drawing up the AOS paperwork.

I have a car in California which needs to be re-registered and insured in my name, but of course I can't do that until get a drivers license in CA, till I get the EAD.

I am tempted to try the AB60 route, but wanted to ask whether anyone had any repercussions of doing this recently? And if anyone could share their successes also that would be great. Thanks in advance!

I have seen others go the AB60 route instead of waiting for EAD, somebody who did this did a long and detailed post about how he I think went through the CA process all the way to getting a regular DL.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I have seen others go the AB60 route instead of waiting for EAD, somebody who did this did a long and detailed post about how he I think went through the CA process all the way to getting a regular DL.

Yeah. I read that too and wanted to see if anyone had done it recently. If the dude above is right then I should be able to get a real ID atleast and maybe do the drivers license later... or something... everyone has conflicting stories. I’m at the DMV now and there’s a line going all the way down the road. If I ever reach anyone I’ll let you know how it goes!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.