Biffa

AB60 and California drivers license

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In CA not sure a K1 would qualify for a DL within 30 days, I know they would not in CO and everything I have read suggests getting a DL in CA in 30 days would be very unlikely.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

So, it's a shorter wait for the non AB-60 test?

Yes. But they will not allow me to sit for a regular CA license because there is less than 60 days left on my K1/I-94. 

Timeline

I assume it is more fear of loss of a GC and the time and cost of getting a replacement.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

In CA not sure a K1 would qualify for a DL within 30 days, I know they would not in CO and everything I have read suggests getting a DL in CA in 30 days would be very unlikely.

Hmm. You probably could the only thing stopping me was not having more than 60 days on the i94, the dmv wait wasn’t too bad. but regardless it’s only valid while your k1 is. 

The K1 comes with a lot of flaws. 

Edited by Biffa

Timeline

K1 flaws always get mentioned on here but mainly ignored.

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

If you have a CR1 why would you get an AB60 license or ID? You qualify for REAL ID/DL.  

I am not going for AB60 - I was just pointing out that waits at DMV for a practical test are super long in some parts of CA, that you can register a car without having a license and what I used for ID. I suspected (and later saw confirmed by the OP) that the wait to get a practical test for a temporary licence may be longer than waiting for more permanent paperwork (or close too).

I verified my ID and passed the theory test for REAL-ID MDL at the DMV, just waiting the 3+ months between when I went in and when I was able to get an appointment for the driving test that did not mean missing too much work for me or my wife.

3 hours ago, missileman said:

So, it's a shorter wait for the non AB-60 test?

I quoted the wait time one DMV in the Bay Area (Nor Cal) it varies from DMV to DMV so is probably 6 months at the OP's DMV. When I go online to book a test the only specification I see is motorcycle or car licence, so don't think it varies by type.

12/26/17 - NOA1

06/27/18 - NOA2 (+183 days)

07/11/18 - Case sent to NVC (+14 days)

07/18/18 - NVC Received (+7 days)

08/10/18 - NVC Case Number (+23 days)

09/06/18 - All Docs Submitted (+27 days)

09/19/18 - Case Complete at NVC (+13 days)

10/18/18 -  Interview appointment letter received (+29 days)

11/20/18 - Interview Date (+33 days) - APPROVED!

11/26/18 - Visa Received 

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

@JJtheJetPlane Did you end up trying to convert the AB60 to a regular license after getting the EAD?  If so, how was the process? 

On 5/8/2019 at 6:15 AM, JJtheJetPlane said:

My wife got an AB60 license in CA. She came here on a K1 visa. The people at the dmv were very friendly and helpful. I just told them she wanted an AB60 license and did all the paperwork normally. She just got her EAD so we're going to try to convert it to a regular licenses. I don't think we will have any issues but we will see. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
6 hours ago, ShibaYuri2428 said:

@JJtheJetPlane Did you end up trying to convert the AB60 to a regular license after getting the EAD?  If so, how was the process? 

My wife did get her green card but we haven't tried to convert it yet. We figure there's no rush to convert. I will report back once we do but it could be a while.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, JJtheJetPlane said:

My wife did get her green card but we haven't tried to convert it yet. We figure there's no rush to convert. I will report back once we do but it could be a while.

Thanks for the feedback.  Matt from another thread was also in no rush to convert. 

On the process, Matt said "The last time I was at the dmv to pick up license plates I asked and was told I would just need to bring EAD/GC, ID and proof of address and they could update to full license no problem."  

So, it should be okay, but I haven't see a post yet where someone actually executed the switched from AB60 to a normal CA Drivers License (or Real ID) after getting their GC or EAD.   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.