Biffa

AB60 and California drivers license

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I know this topic has been talked about before. But I wanted to re-ask.

Came to California on a K1 and recently got married, lawyer is still drawing up the AOS paperwork.

I have a car in California which needs to be re-registered and insured in my name, but of course I can't do that until get a drivers license in CA, till I get the EAD.

I am tempted to try the AB60 route, but wanted to ask whether anyone had any repercussions of doing this recently? And if anyone could share their successes also that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Timeline
Just now, Mary&Rafa said:

I was under the impression you can get a SSN pretty much after 2 weeks in the country. I could be wrong tho.

Yup I've got the SSN! Im asking about the AB60 for the drivers license now. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
1 minute ago, Biffa said:

Yup I've got the SSN! Im asking about the AB60 for the drivers license now. 

You don't have any of the following to provide proof of residency?

• Rental or lease agreement with the signature of the owner/landlord and the tenant/resident.
  • Deed or title to residential real property.
  • Mortgage bill.
  • Home utility bills (including cellular phone).
  • School documents including any document issued by a U.S. education institution that either includes the applicant's date of birth, or if a foreign school document, is sealed by the school and includes a photograph of the applicant at the age the record was issued.
  • Medical documents.
  • Employment documents.
  • Faith based documents that include the name and address of the issuing organization.
  • Insurance documents, including medical, dental, vision, life, home, rental, and vehicle.
  • Internal Revenue Service or California Franchise Tax Board tax return.
  • California Certificate of Vehicle or Vessel Title or Registration.
  • Change of Address Confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service (Form CNL 107).
  • Any document issued by an entity, office, or authority governing over a country, state, county, city, municipality, district, agency, department, or any other political subdivision of a country or state that is typed and contains the agency name, department name, state seal, or is on official letterhead.
  • Property tax bill or statement.
  • Record of any state or national banks, state or federal savings associations, trust companies, industrial loan companies, state or federal credit unions, and any institution or entity that has issued a credit card.
  • An acceptable No Fee Identification Card Eligibility Verification (DL 933) form.
  • Voter registration confirmation letter or postcard issued by the California Secretary of State or a local California county elections officer.
  • Proof of payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education located in California.
  • An original copy of an approved Claim For Homeowners’ Property Tax Exemption (BOE-266) form filed with a local California County Assessor.
  • Court documents that list the applicant as a resident of California.

Timeline

You don't have any of the following to provide proof of residency?

• Rental or lease agreement with the signature of the owner/landlord and the tenant/resident.
  • Deed or title to residential real property.
  • Mortgage bill.
  • Home utility bills (including cellular phone).
  • School documents including any document issued by a U.S. education institution that either includes the applicant's date of birth, or if a foreign school document, is sealed by the school and includes a photograph of the applicant at the age the record was issued.
  • Medical documents.
  • Employment documents.
  • Faith based documents that include the name and address of the issuing organization.
  • Insurance documents, including medical, dental, vision, life, home, rental, and vehicle.
  • Internal Revenue Service or California Franchise Tax Board tax return.
  • California Certificate of Vehicle or Vessel Title or Registration.
  • Change of Address Confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service (Form CNL 107).
  • Any document issued by an entity, office, or authority governing over a country, state, county, city, municipality, district, agency, department, or any other political subdivision of a country or state that is typed and contains the agency name, department name, state seal, or is on official letterhead.
  • Property tax bill or statement.
  • Record of any state or national banks, state or federal savings associations, trust companies, industrial loan companies, state or federal credit unions, and any institution or entity that has issued a credit card.
  • An acceptable No Fee Identification Card Eligibility Verification (DL 933) form.
  • Voter registration confirmation letter or postcard issued by the California Secretary of State or a local California county elections officer.
  • Proof of payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education located in California.
  • An original copy of an approved Claim For Homeowners’ Property Tax Exemption (BOE-266) form filed with a local California County Assessor.
  • Court documents that list the applicant as a resident of California.

I guess the only things I have is my marriage certificate and SSN letter with address on it??

Timeline
Just now, Biffa said:

I guess the only things I have is my marriage certificate and SSN letter with address on it??

That's what it says on the California DMV's website. I honestly doubt it's so straightforward, so maybe another more experienced member could help.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/residency_requirement

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, Biffa said:

And your spouse has more that that. 

So you can get Real ID. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mary&Rafa said:

That's what it says on the California DMV's website. I honestly doubt it's so straightforward, so maybe another more experienced member could help.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/residency_requirement

It is so straight forward. We went there with our marriage certificate, her passport, her I-94, my utility bill and it was no problem. They did ask for a second proof of residency document from me but didn’t push it but it would have been easy to produce a phone bill, internet bill, bank statement etc. 

The hardest part is waking at 6 am to beat the rush. No appointments available in the entire state for most of the rest of year.  Fill out an application online to get to front of line. easy. Peasy. 

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

It is so straight forward. We went there with our marriage certificate, her passport, her I-94, my utility bill and it was no problem. They did ask for a second proof of residency document from me but didn’t push it but it would have been easy to produce a phone bill, internet bill, bank statement etc. 

The hardest part is waking at 6 am to beat the rush. No appointments available in the entire state for most of the rest of year.  Fill out an application online to get to front of line. easy. Peasy. 

Was this for a regular California DL? Or AB 60?

Timeline

Regular FL. Do not do AB60. You are in the country legally.

Ok, so "Real ID" is the same thing as a California DL?

Timeline
Just now, Biffa said:

Ok, so "Real ID" is the same thing as a California DL?

Real ID is the new id that it's going to be required by 2020. 

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/how-to-get-real-id-deadline-documents-needed-dmv-13506372.php

I suggest you get it already. Might as well.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Was this for a regular California DL? Or AB 60?

This was for a REAL ID California state ID. Valid for domestic travel. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

This was for a REAL ID California state ID. Valid for domestic travel. 

Ok, does this help to get a drivers license?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.