Jump to content
Biffa

AB60 and California drivers license

67 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everybody,

I know this topic has been talked about before. But I wanted to re-ask.

Came to California on a K1 and recently got married, lawyer is still drawing up the AOS paperwork.

I have a car in California which needs to be re-registered and insured in my name, but of course I can't do that until get a drivers license in CA, till I get the EAD.

I am tempted to try the AB60 route, but wanted to ask whether anyone had any repercussions of doing this recently? And if anyone could share their successes also that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biffa said:

Yup I've got the SSN! Im asking about the AB60 for the drivers license now. 

You don't have any of the following to provide proof of residency?

  • Rental or lease agreement with the signature of the owner/landlord and the tenant/resident.
  • Deed or title to residential real property.
  • Mortgage bill.
  • Home utility bills (including cellular phone).
  • School documents including any document issued by a U.S. education institution that either includes the applicant's date of birth, or if a foreign school document, is sealed by the school and includes a photograph of the applicant at the age the record was issued.
  • Medical documents.
  • Employment documents.
  • Faith based documents that include the name and address of the issuing organization.
  • Insurance documents, including medical, dental, vision, life, home, rental, and vehicle.
  • Internal Revenue Service or California Franchise Tax Board tax return.
  • California Certificate of Vehicle or Vessel Title or Registration.
  • Change of Address Confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service (Form CNL 107).
  • Any document issued by an entity, office, or authority governing over a country, state, county, city, municipality, district, agency, department, or any other political subdivision of a country or state that is typed and contains the agency name, department name, state seal, or is on official letterhead.
  • Property tax bill or statement.
  • Record of any state or national banks, state or federal savings associations, trust companies, industrial loan companies, state or federal credit unions, and any institution or entity that has issued a credit card.
  • An acceptable No Fee Identification Card Eligibility Verification (DL 933) form.
  • Voter registration confirmation letter or postcard issued by the California Secretary of State or a local California county elections officer.
  • Proof of payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education located in California.
  • An original copy of an approved Claim For Homeowners’ Property Tax Exemption (BOE-266) form filed with a local California County Assessor.
  • Court documents that list the applicant as a resident of California.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mary&Rafa said:

You don't have any of the following to provide proof of residency?

  • Rental or lease agreement with the signature of the owner/landlord and the tenant/resident.
  • Deed or title to residential real property.
  • Mortgage bill.
  • Home utility bills (including cellular phone).
  • School documents including any document issued by a U.S. education institution that either includes the applicant's date of birth, or if a foreign school document, is sealed by the school and includes a photograph of the applicant at the age the record was issued.
  • Medical documents.
  • Employment documents.
  • Faith based documents that include the name and address of the issuing organization.
  • Insurance documents, including medical, dental, vision, life, home, rental, and vehicle.
  • Internal Revenue Service or California Franchise Tax Board tax return.
  • California Certificate of Vehicle or Vessel Title or Registration.
  • Change of Address Confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service (Form CNL 107).
  • Any document issued by an entity, office, or authority governing over a country, state, county, city, municipality, district, agency, department, or any other political subdivision of a country or state that is typed and contains the agency name, department name, state seal, or is on official letterhead.
  • Property tax bill or statement.
  • Record of any state or national banks, state or federal savings associations, trust companies, industrial loan companies, state or federal credit unions, and any institution or entity that has issued a credit card.
  • An acceptable No Fee Identification Card Eligibility Verification (DL 933) form.
  • Voter registration confirmation letter or postcard issued by the California Secretary of State or a local California county elections officer.
  • Proof of payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education located in California.
  • An original copy of an approved Claim For Homeowners’ Property Tax Exemption (BOE-266) form filed with a local California County Assessor.
  • Court documents that list the applicant as a resident of California.

I guess the only things I have is my marriage certificate and SSN letter with address on it??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biffa said:

I guess the only things I have is my marriage certificate and SSN letter with address on it??

That's what it says on the California DMV's website. I honestly doubt it's so straightforward, so maybe another more experienced member could help.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/residency_requirement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mary&Rafa said:

That's what it says on the California DMV's website. I honestly doubt it's so straightforward, so maybe another more experienced member could help.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/residency_requirement

It is so straight forward. We went there with our marriage certificate, her passport, her I-94, my utility bill and it was no problem. They did ask for a second proof of residency document from me but didn’t push it but it would have been easy to produce a phone bill, internet bill, bank statement etc. 

 

The hardest part is waking at 6 am to beat the rush. No appointments available in the entire state for most of the rest of year.  Fill out an application online to get to front of line. easy. Peasy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike E said:

It is so straight forward. We went there with our marriage certificate, her passport, her I-94, my utility bill and it was no problem. They did ask for a second proof of residency document from me but didn’t push it but it would have been easy to produce a phone bill, internet bill, bank statement etc. 

 

The hardest part is waking at 6 am to beat the rush. No appointments available in the entire state for most of the rest of year.  Fill out an application online to get to front of line. easy. Peasy. 

Was this for a regular California DL? Or AB 60?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...