verdandi

Visiting american boyfriend

31 posts in this topic

Hi! I've done a lot of research about this topic and the more I do, the more afraid and confused I get.

I'm 24, Brazilian and I want to apply for the B2 visa to visit my boyfriend in the US next month for 2 weeks. I am a master's student with a governmental scholarship (like a monthly stipend which I was granted because of my academic records) and having this scholarship makes me obligate to finish my master's (which will only happen around April 2020) and that's my strongest connection with my country. I live at a rented place for 7 months now under my name with a 30 months contract, which I also thought it would be a strong reason for me to come back to my country.

I've met my boyfriend online 1 year and a half ago, we have never met in person. The question is, I filled out the DS160 saying I was going to visit a friend, there wasn't a "boyfriend" category to select. If I get asked during the interview if he is my boyfriend, do I still have a good chance to get the visa if I say yes? Because I've seen so many people saying I shouldn't say I have a boyfriend and instead say he is a friend of mine. How bad would it be?

Edit: I forgot to add that I've been to 14 countries so far, so my passport is full of stamps and maybe it helps to prove I like to travel a lot.

Edited by verdandi

You have to be honest in the interview but you don’t need to volunteer information. If the interviewing officer asks you “is this friend a boyfriend” you must say yes. If he doesn’t ask you, you don’t need to volunteer the information. If he thinks or discovers you are lying that alone will be reason to refuse a visa. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Your probability of approval or denial is likely the same whether you say you are visiting a boyfriend or friend you met online. You might as well tell the truth if asked.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, verdandi said:

Hi! I've done a lot of research about this topic and the more I do, the more afraid and confused I get.

I'm 24, Brazilian and I want to apply for the B2 visa to visit my boyfriend in the US next month for 2 weeks. I am a master's student with a governmental scholarship (like a monthly stipend which I was granted because of my academic records) and having this scholarship makes me obligate to finish my master's (which will only happen around April 2020) and that's my strongest connection with my country. I live at a rented place for 7 months now under my name with a 30 months contract, which I also thought it would be a strong reason for me to come back to my country.

I've met my boyfriend online 1 year and a half ago, we have never met in person. The question is, I filled out the DS160 saying I was going to visit a friend, there wasn't a "boyfriend" category to select. If I get asked during the interview if he is my boyfriend, do I still have a good chance to get the visa if I say yes? Because I've seen so many people saying I shouldn't say I have a boyfriend and instead say he is a friend of mine. How bad would it be?

Show what evidence of ties you have, and always be honest. So if they ask who the friend is, or if it's a boy friend, be honest. They maintain records so getting caught in a lie later will only make things worse. Always be honest and up front if asked. Other than that, no one can really tell you your chances of getting the visa, but yea.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

26 minutes ago, verdandi said:

Edit: I forgot to add that I've been to 14 countries so far, so my passport is full of stamps and maybe it helps to prove I like to travel a lot.

What else would you say? 

How bad would lying be? Seriously, you're asking? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Brazilians overstaying and misusing the b2 visa make it harder for everyone else. 

Just tell the truth. You may or may not get it. With traveling history and your masters there’s a good chance you’ll get it, but be prepared if you don’t 

29 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

How silly to go onto an immigration board with US citizens who are trying to legally bring their love ones to the US and ask if it's a good idea to lie and twist the truth when seeking a visa.  

I don't want to lie and I don't think anyone is stupid, even though I had female single friends who went to visit male single friends in the US, so there are people who are "just friends" and it's not a play. As I said, I was confused by all the information on the internet saying I won't get a visa if I say that I have an American boyfriend like it was the universal truth and I don't want to spend $160.00 on a visa if that's the case. I found this forum and maybe it would be easier to tell my story and have that clarified. 

16 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

What else would you say? 

How bad would lying be? Seriously, you're asking? 

As I answered to aaron2020, I don't want to lie I was confused by all the information on the internet saying I won't get a visa if I say that I have an American boyfriend like it was the universal truth and I don't want to spend $160.00 on a visa if that's the case. I found this forum and maybe it would be easier to tell my story and have that clarified. "How bad would saying I have an American boyfriend would be" that's what what I meant, not how bad would lying be. 

Edited by verdandi

25 minutes ago, p-ana said:

Brazilians overstaying and misusing the b2 visa make it harder for everyone else. 

Just tell the truth. You may or may not get it. With traveling history and your masters there’s a good chance you’ll get it, but be prepared if you don’t 

Yeah, the Brazilian part scares me a bit, but reading that there's still a chance makes me more relieved, because the information I found online was that if I told the truth it would be denied automatically and it wouldn't matter my country ties at all. Thank you for your answer!

Edited by verdandi

6 minutes ago, verdandi said:

Yeah, the Brazilian part scares me a bit, but reading that there's still a chance makes me more relieved, because the information I found online was that if I told the truth it would be denied automatically and it wouldn't matter my country ties at all. Thank you for your answer!

You have to tell the truth (if specifically asked whether he IS your bf), and let the chips fall where they may. We here on VJ know many folks are willing to fudge the truth if it improves the odds of a visa. 

I-751 journey

48 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

You have to tell the truth (if specifically asked whether he IS your bf), and let the chips fall where they may. We here on VJ know many folks are willing to fudge the truth if it improves the odds of a visa. 

I just wanted to have an idea of my odds telling the truth, otherwise I wouldn't have told about my masters, living situation and traveling history, I even justified why I put him as a "friend" and not "boyfriend" filling out the DS160. I imagined people here could help me or know of similar situations to guide me, because, as I said, I don't want to waste that amount of money for nothing. I've been to many countries and no visa process was like the American one, I'm just worried and people were already being sarcastic and assuming I was trying to improve my odds. It's either I can tell the truth and have a chance to get it or I won't waste my money and time at all. 

Edited by verdandi

5 minutes ago, verdandi said:

I just wanted to have an idea of my odds telling the truth, otherwise I wouldn't have told about my masters, living situation and traveling history, I even justified why I put him as a "friend" and not "boyfriend" filling out the DS160. I imagined people here could help me or know of similar situations to guide me, because, as I said, I don't want to waste that amount of money for nothing. I've been to many countries and no visa process was like the American one, I'm just worried and people were already being sarcastic and assuming I was trying to improve my odds. It's either I can tell the truth and have a chance to get it or I won't waste my money and time at all. 

As everyone here is telling you, you fill out the ds160 with facts, be truthful responding to interview questions without volunteering anything additional. Leave the rest for the CO to decide. 

If you don't apply, you have zero chance. So apply and find out. 

The US visa process is what it is. There are reasons it's unlike any other country's visa process that you've applied to. 

I-751 journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.