Crazy Cat

Processing Times (I-751) for MSC (National Benefits Center)

2,753 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, coa24 said:

And you still are waiting for an interview? Crazy! Why is that even allowed. What would you do if you are traveling outside the country?

After 18 months extension letter expired we called USCIS and received an appointment at the field location and had the passport stamped with one year extension. So with expired green card and stamp on passport travel was allowed. I believe this stamp is the evidence the airline needs.

2 hours ago, JessieABC said:

My submission for my husband’s ROC was in October 2019 and I’m still waiting for an interview. We called last year when it was considered beyond normal processing times (before they extended it to 3 years) only to get a follow up more than 6 months later telling us there’s nothing to be done and that it’s now considered within normal processing times.

To think that this is where all of our tax dollars might be going…

I know all waste of our time. They cannot even prioritize and follow the new risk based approach where interviews can be waived. It is frustrating.

13 hours ago, JessieABC said:

My submission for my husband’s ROC was in October 2019 and I’m still waiting for an interview. We called last year when it was considered beyond normal processing times (before they extended it to 3 years) only to get a follow up more than 6 months later telling us there’s nothing to be done and that it’s now considered within normal processing times.

To think that this is where all of our tax dollars might be going…

I applied in September 2019, still waiting for an interview as well. About to file N400, hoping it speeds up the process!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 6/1/2022 at 4:03 PM, jakelake said:

Interview was not waived. It was done as a combo with the N-400. 

The field office is New York City.

I have my joint interview next week. Could you tell me about your interview experience and what they asked for the I-751 interview?

Edited by kp&kp

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guyana
Timeline
On 7/1/2022 at 3:08 PM, kp&kp said:

I have my joint interview next week. Could you tell me about your interview experience and what they asked for the I-751 interview?

I had posted this a few months ago:

I field for ROC (I-751) in February 2019 and for N400 in June 2020.  I received a notice back in July 2021 for N400 interview, but never received an interview notice for the I-751.  Our N400 interview was  Friday, September 10 and the officer adjudicated the i-751 at the same time in a combo interview - we went prepared for a combo interview.  Both approved, and since Newark, NJ does same day Oath Ceremony, the Certificate of Naturalization was issued on the same day.  The i-751 portion took about 5 mins: we were not separated and the officer asked the following in the following order:

* to the US citizen spouse: what is your spouse's full name and date of birth?

when did you get married?

how did you meet your spouse?

* to the applicant: what is your spouse's full name and date of birth?

We took a lot of additional evidence but was never asked to produce any of it.  We believe that it is probably because when giving the officer the original documents (birth certificates, green card, marriage certificate, first child's birth certificate etc), we also handed him the hospital birth records for the birth of our second child less than a month ago.

The N400 portion was about 15 mins, and straightforward: the 50 Yes/No questions that are in the application, 6 civics questions and confirming/signing of documents. 

Good luck to all!   See timeline in signature below for details. 

I-130 (for parents of US Citizens):

8/19/2022: NOA (IOE0917XXXXXX); Texas Service Center

7/22/2023: Both (parents) petitions approved

7/27/2023: Both cases sent to NVC

8/8/2023: Received NVC welcome email for both parents

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
On 7/1/2022 at 3:08 PM, kp&kp said:

First, you have to pass the N-400. That includes reading, writing and 6 out 10 questions. The officer stops when you get 6 questions correct. Be prepared to answer the questions that were asked on N-400 application. Just review your responses.

If you pass the N-400, then the officer moves on to the I-751.  The officer basically asked how we met and when we were married. My wife said that the officer asked a lot of questions. She asked my wife whether the child with us was ours and whether I was the father of the baby she was expecting. After interviewing my wife, she spoke with me for about a minute and said that the petition to remove conditions was  approved but she could not do it that day.

We waited about 3 weeks before the Oath Ceremony.

My guess is that every officer is different. Some will take a few minutes and some will be more detailed in their questioning.

As long as you come prepared, tell the truth and if it is really a bona fide marriage, then everything should be fine.

Update to our timeline:

Filed I-751 in August 2020

Biometrics reused

It was transferred to NBC in November 2020

Filed N-400 July 2021

Filed a FOIA request in mid April 2022

Received notice of my wife's N-400 interview June 2, 2022

Sent letter to my local field office mid June 2022 requesting that the N-400 be a combo interview

FOIA request completed June 28, 2022

Receive notice of I-751 interview for same place/time as N-400 on July 2, 2022

Interview set for July 14, 2022 in Atlanta field office

Got my dros to purchase a firearm denied two weeks ago, yesterday received the DOJ letter stating that reason for denying is being illegal alien in the US, however I came to America on an immigrant visa, I have a green card, social security card, CA real ID, Driver license, just got issued an exposed firearm permit by the bureau of security and investigation services, the only thing is my GC is expired and the renewal process is pending for almost a year and a half ad of right now because the uscis is backed up, also I have an extension letter that states that this notice doesn’t guarantee any immigration status, but I had an appointment at my field office and they gave me an I-551 stamp valid for one year as a valid proof of permanent residence status instead of the having an expired GC with the extension letter. Should I appeal the decision or no?

Just an FYI, exposed firearm permit and CA real IDs only get issued for US Citizens, and lawful permanent residence. I know this might be not an immigration situation but it is related that’s why I’m looking for help 

Edited by Ma08716

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline
3 hours ago, M@K12 said:

Hi MSC Filers,

There are no updates on this thread since couple of months. 

No one got response yet ?? 

Nope! My status still says case received.

Edited by Blair86

11 hours ago, M@K12 said:

Hi MSC Filers,

There are no updates on this thread since couple of months. 

No one got response yet ?? 

Not yet, unfortunately. It’s been almost 3 years since my husband’s notice date and we’ve been waiting for an interview since 2020.  According to case processing, this is considered “normal processing” and I can’t inquire until mid-November on case status. 

See my signature for detailed timelines :(

98771463-5174-4F41-ACBB-4E428CD9CED1.jpeg

NVC Process Guide for UK:  NVC Process (timelines, numbers, documents, steps)  

_______________________________________________________________________________________

TIMELINE (CR1 Spouse Visa)
USCIS Phase (Married in England September 3, 2016!)
Spoiler
  • 09-22-2016:  I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox (USPS Priority)
  • 09-25-2016:  USPS Priority delivery confirmation
  • 09-26-2016:  Priority date assigned (USC Spouse)
  • 09-28-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Email/Text received, check cashed; case sent to Nebraska Service Center
  • 10-03-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Hardcopy received
  • 02-15-2017:  Case transferred to Texas Service Center
  • 03-16-2017:  NOA2 Approval Date
  • 03-22-2017:  USCIS sent case to NVC, Case Status changed to "We sent your case to the Department of State for visa processing"
  • 03-23-2017:  NOA2 Harcdopy received

NVC Phase

Spoiler
  • 03-30-2017:  Case Received By NVC
  • 04-04-2017:  Case # and IIN Assigned (called NVC to confirm)
  • 04-05-2017:  DS-261 unlocked & completed, called NVC and reviewed over the phone (IV fee will unlock after a week)
  • 04-06-2017:  Received NVC Welcome Letter via Email, AOS Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-07-2017:  Called NVC again and rep stated DS 261 was not actually reviewed.  Re-reviewed DS-261
  • 04-11-2017:  Welcome Letter email received, IV Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-13-2017:  DS-260 unlocked
  • 04-14-2017:  DS-260 submitted
  • 04-30-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents sent via Fedex Priority Overnight (sent Sunday, to be delivered Tuesday)
  • 05-02-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents delivered to NVC
  • 05-04-2017:  Document Scan Date
  • 06-28-2017:  Checklist for Court Records (even though beneficiary has never been to court); escalated to Supervisor who requested case files
  • 07-03-2017:  CASE COMPLETE!!!  Called NVC on July 5 and representative confirmed status
  • 07-11-2017:  Case Complete email confirmation received
  • 07-13-2017:  NVC rep confirmed Interview Date assigned
  • 07-14-2017:  Email confirmation of Interview
  • 07-20-2017:  11 Week (77 day) expected Case Complete from Scan Date (5/4/2017)
  • 07-21-2017:  Appointment with General Practitioner to get all required shots and medical history
  • 08-01-2017,   1:10PM:  Immigration medical with Knighstbridge Doctors in London
  • 08-11-2017:  Medical files received by Consulate
  • 08-16-2017, 12:30PM:  Interview in London!!
  • 08-17-2017:  Visa status changed to Administrative Processing, then several hours later to "Issued"
  • 08-22-2017:  Passport with Visa delivered (paid for home delivery); paid immigration fee and added case to MyUSCIS for alerts
  • 11-18-2017:  Point of Entry at JFK in NYC!!! 

TIMELINE (I-751 Removal of Conditions for Spouse)
USCIS Phase 
Spoiler
  • 10-08-2019:  I-751 Mailed to Dallas USCIS PO Box (USPS Flat Rate Box)
  • 10-11-2019:  USPS delivery confirmation
  • 10-16-2019:  Text received confirming receipt number; case found in MyUSCIS system several hours later
  • 10-17-2019:  Check cashed by USCIS
  • 10-21-2019:  I-797 NOA received (Notice Date: 10/16) of acceptance
  • 11-01-2019:  I-797C NOA received (Notice Date: 10/25) for Biometrics appointment
  • 11-12-2019:  Biometrics completed
  • 11-13-2019:  Case status changed to “Fingerprint Review Was Completed”
  • 12-24-2019:  Case status changed to “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken”
  • 05-27-2020:  Case status changed to “Case is Ready to be Scheduled for An Interview”
  • 04-22-2021:  Infopass appointment scheduled and extension stamp provided
  • 07-12-2021:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times (reply expected by 8/3)
  • 03-09-2022:  Received email response to inquiry from 7/12/22 restating status with no updates provided
  • 09-16-2022:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times
  • 10-17-2022:  Requested assistance from local Congressman
  • 11-28-2022:  Congressman's office received USCIS statement that "application has been identified as a potential interview waiver application"
  • 03-27-2023:  USCIS Requested additional evidence "as it has been several years since you've submitted this petition" 
  • 05-13-2023:  Sent RFE response via USPS certified Priority mail
  • 05-17-2023:  USCIS received RFE packet
  • 05-19-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “New Card is Being Produced" 
  • 05-22-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Case Was Approved" 
  • 05-24-2023:  USCIS case status updated to reflect new Green Card was mailed
  • 05-25-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 9/11/2022 at 10:47 PM, Blair86 said:

Nope! My status still says case received.

On 9/12/2022 at 6:29 AM, JessieABC said:

Not yet, unfortunately. It’s been almost 3 years since my husband’s notice date and we’ve been waiting for an interview since 2020.  According to case processing, this is considered “normal processing” and I can’t inquire until mid-November on case status. 

See my signature for detailed timelines :(

imageproxy.php?img=&key=da9b9b78549feebeimageproxy.php?img=&key=da9b9b78549feebe

imageproxy.php?img=&key=da9b9b78549feebe

98771463-5174-4F41-ACBB-4E428CD9CED1.jpeg

So USCIS is not interested in MSC filers at all. 

I hope everyone ends their journey with USCIS asap. especially those ones whom are waiting since eternity. 

2 hours ago, M@K12 said:

So USCIS is not interested in MSC filers at all. 

I hope everyone ends their journey with USCIS asap. especially those ones whom are waiting since eternity. 

Until case is past processing there is nothing that can be done. Our I-751 was filed in May 2019 and we been waiting for Interview since Sept 2019. We filed N-400 in May 2020. We inquired our case and USCIS responded that we will have a combo interview. Our Senator said that they will only inquire if our case is past processing. In June 29th 2022 our case was past processing (USCIS extended normal processing twice from the 3 year from receipt date). I inquired with USCIS and my Senator in June 29th. My Senator responded on July 15th asking I submit two separate request for N400 and I-751 (I had combined them in the inquiry I sent previously). In July 19th Senator sent inquiry to USCIS on my behalf. 

Around Mid August 2022, I received a response from USCIS about my inquiry which was basically the same response I received two different times that is I will have a combo interview.

In August 22, 2022, my Senator shared USCIS response which mentioned that I will have a combo interview and I am in line for an interview. They requested respectfully to be contacted within 60 days if my interview is not scheduled by then. This looked promising and very nice response to my Senator vs the response I received. For the first time I had an update in my case when I viewed the status: I-751 status was that my case was being worked on actively and date updated was from Sept 2019 to Aug 22, 2022.

In September 13th 2022 my status now is that an interview has been scheduled and they will mail the interview notice. Now we can't wait for the mail to be sent.

I think patience is key and just continue living your life eventually you will get your interview scheduled. The issue with pandemic and politics is hopefully behind and process becomes better. USCIS is moving to risk based approach for I-751 and hopefully this will free up immigration staff time and clear the backlog.

Edited by hasmax80

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

Yesterday, my wife had my citizenship interview at Newark, NJ. First officer took my citizenship interview and it was really quick my wife was out in less than seven minutes and she passed the test. But officer said you need to wait outside because your green card application for 10 years is not approved yet, so I will you(wife) and me to the interview (luckily I went to the interview, I was not about to go due to work). So we waited around 2 hrs for the interview then I asked front desk what time officer will conduct interview for green card application. So front ask officer in front of us ask about what is the status of green card application. Officer said no interview for green card, I have already approved the case. Reason officer said might be it required interview but system was taking time to update green card application.

It was such a relief when I heard. Also yesterday (09/13/2022) Newark, NJ was really busy my wife appointment time was 10:30am and my wife was called in around 12:45pm

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 hours ago, mtldesai809 said:

Hi All,

Yesterday, my wife had my citizenship interview at Newark, NJ. First officer took my citizenship interview and it was really quick my wife was out in less than seven minutes and she passed the test. But officer said you need to wait outside because your green card application for 10 years is not approved yet, so I will you(wife) and me to the interview (luckily I went to the interview, I was not about to go due to work). So we waited around 2 hrs for the interview then I asked front desk what time officer will conduct interview for green card application. So front ask officer in front of us ask about what is the status of green card application. Officer said no interview for green card, I have already approved the case. Reason officer said might be it required interview but system was taking time to update green card application.

It was such a relief when I heard. Also yesterday (09/13/2022) Newark, NJ was really busy my wife appointment time was 10:30am and my wife was called in around 12:45pm

Did your spouse do her oath ceremony as well? And received her naturalinaction cert?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.