AlenaS

K-1 and petitioner truck driver

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Pretty long ago I remember reading about a K1 fiancée whose USC fiancé was a truck driver, he did not own or rent a home and lived in his truck. She joined him and took care of the paperwork aspects of his job for him. They lived together in the truck. Does your fiancé own his truck? Would this be an option for you?

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 minute ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

Can you not accompany him when he works?

This is a good idea. I drive truck also, if he is his own boss via LLC, he should be able to bring you with him. I've been over the road for years, not much anymore, and it isn't all that great. You may want to try it for a year or so to see how it goes. You will get the chance to see a lot of the good old USA that's a good thing. If he works for a actual company, most won't let him have Passengers due to insurance. He could switch to a more local route, or do a reginal tri-state area so he can be home more. Depends on money. When I was over the road for some serious miles on the grind I steady made tons of money. Counted money by weighing it almost. On the road 360 days a year, no responsibility like a apartment or house or anything. When I finally came off the road I threw like 30K down on a house, bought new cars, and took like a year off easy and still had spare money. If he has been banking his money for a few years like I did he should have no problem taking a year off. Only downside I only had myself to support, where he will have himself and you also to support. And without a job expenses will be high such as medical insurance, and other things you don't expect that add up quickly. It all depends on that, but a small local route should keep money coming in, and he can be home more.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
11 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

Pretty long ago I remember reading about a K1 fiancée whose USC fiancé was a truck driver, he did not own or rent a home and lived in his truck. She joined him and took care of the paperwork aspects of his job for him. They lived together in the truck. Does your fiancé own his truck? Would this be an option for you?

See my post, this is exactly what I did, but by myself. That's why I mentioned it also. Also if you feel up to it, you can work on getting your CDL license and drive as a husband and wife team drivers. Serious money to be made if you can drive as a team. My friend and his wife do it and clear almost 200k a year.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 minute ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

Can you not accompany him when he works?

Yes, I can not go with him. This is what I would prefet to do actually

37 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

The Kiev embassy is not interested in how you will happily live ever after. They are pretty much straightforward and look at facts as laid out in the petition. They took my fiance's I-134 and never cared to look into supporting documents, which were returned immediately. They did not ask me anything about his job, or his future plans. You must be and sound pretty confident about your relationship and you will be fine. To be so please see above.

Good luck

Thank you very much. That's what I wanted to know if they'll ask me something about my boyfriend's work plans. Good that the'll not

Timeline
23 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

He does not owe his truck. He leases it. And no, living in a truck is not an option for me. At least not for long. I can do it for few month maximum but I don't have a desire to do that for sure.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Also if you feel up to it, you can work on getting your CDL license and drive as a husband and wife team drivers

I know that doing that we can make good money but this life style is not for me. And not for my fiance I think that's one of the reasons why he wants to quit job and be home more. Thank you very much for your answer. You definitely gave us some ideas what to do 😉

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
36 minutes ago, AlenaS said:

I know that doing that we can make good money but this life style is not for me. And not for my fiance I think that's one of the reasons why he wants to quit job and be home more. Thank you very much for your answer. You definitely gave us some ideas what to do 😉

If he has sufficient income without working then go for it.  Does he have enough savings or investments to support the two of you, without working, indefinitely?  Is he at retirement age?  Pension benefits coming if he quits?  Social Security?  At some point he'll probably have to get another job with regular hours so he can be home with you more but still support you.  He might as well start thinking about that now, even looking at potential jobs or education required to change careers.  No time like the present since it sounds like truck driving is not what you want him to do.

Timeline
43 minutes ago, AlenaS said:

I agree, it is by no means everyone's cup of tea. Very few husband wife teams are out there, because it takes a special type of person, let alone a couple to spend 24 hours a day with each other. I know I couldn't do it, though I did float the idea past my current wife and it was a pretty clear " Not going to happen" type response. But, I was just throwing it out there. Good luck with everything, I'm sure you guys will figure something out, and I know when I came out of the truck full time it was a good feeling, like getting released from prision LOL, so he is probably at the same point I was, nowhere to call home, your life controlled by the satellite terminal in your truck linked to the dispatcher, and a lot of lonely miles.

Now that I think about it, if he has some good experience the thing to do is get in with a local company as a safety coordinator/ director overseeing driver safety, DOT compliance, and things like that. Home every day, and usually pretty good income. I'm always keeping my eyes open for a position like that. Problem is a lot of companies like to hire this fresh out of school Young kid with his degree, but has never even sat in a tractor trailer and they expect him to get along with drivers never having driven. 

Edited by Loren Y

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 hours ago, AlenaS said:

He wants to quit truck driving because he'll never be home if he'll stay. I don't want this too because I want to come to USA to be with my future husband that I love and not be alone while he is driving somewhere 😔 Thank you for your replies! I really need help.

well you won't be able to work for a while so you could go on the road with him and see America

26 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

well you won't be able to work for a while so you could go on the road with him and see America

this is a great idea ... temporary but solves the togetherness issue and he can keep his income flow through AOS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Why can't he look for a new job and secure one before he quits his current job? The job market can be unpredictable and unless he has plenty of savings/assets to keep you both afloat and be able to meet future AOS requirements, you can paint yourself into a bit of a financial corner when jumping ship before securing a life raft, so to speak.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 hours ago, AlenaS said:

Thanks!

He'll definitely will not be unemployed by interview. I was just wondering if CO asks me something about his work (like how I will feel about my future husband being away from me all the time for example) should I tell him/her that he's planning to change job.

Ukraine. That's good! That was my biggest concern.

One advice I can give you, do not give any extra information. Short answers. If they ask "how do you feel about him being away", just answer that exact question. did they ask if he's planning to change jobs? nope. so don't give more information than you need. in fact, when I tried to give them long emotional answers, they would cut me off and ask the next question. They asked me "so have your fiance visited you in Ukraine?" and I started with "yes, the first time was...blah blah blah" they cut me off after YES pretty much. they don't need to hear anything extra unless specifically asked for it.  I was only asked 2 questions: how have you met? has he visited you? that's it, 1 minute and I was done :)

5 hours ago, AlenaS said:

He is absolutely sure that he'll easily find job that we'll be enough for AOS. Thanks for advise!

I'm not planning to lie at all. We are not sure about anything right now. So basically we'll be fine for interview with what we have now?

He can remain a truck driver if he wants too, there are many jobs where you only drive local i.e., city driver and you are home in the evening very easy to find.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, stacyt said:

One advice I can give you, do not give any extra information. Short answers. If they ask "how do you feel about him being away", just answer that exact question. did they ask if he's planning to change jobs? nope. so don't give more information than you need.

As someone who also went through Kyiv Embassy, I want to emphasize correctness of this approach. Answer the question, and ONLY the question, that is posted to you as succinctly as possible. You do need to elaborate or over answer. If they want to follow up on something let them do it and ask a follow up question, do not volunteer information that was not explicitly asked for, do not try to read their mind.

Having said that, to the OP, do understand there is a difference between having successful interview and getting your coveted K-1 approval and actual making a happy life together. While K-1 denial might put a wrench into the latter, K-1 approval by no mean guarantees your happily-ever-after. Try to be realistic. Roads in US are not paved with gold bricks, money is a ever present concern for most, medicine, schooling, housing all of those things do not come easy and are not cheap. Think and plan accordingly. It is partnership, not an Uber ride.

Good luck.

14 hours ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

I was going to say the same thing. Even if you did not live in the truck, you could travel (or travel part time) with your future husband. Alternatively, he might look for a job where he could drive and be back home the same day. There are lots of thise in Chicago and Kansas City (and presumably elsewhere).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.