Abcd1234

Driving license before gc

19 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Abcd1234 said:

So can we get driving license before gc? If here in usa on k1. K1 is only for 90 days what happens after 90 days? Can we get license after 90 days?

In most states no. Essentially you have no status after your I94 expires. Your immigration status will have to have changed with either the EAD or GC approval. Like I said, it varies by state DMV rules but most do not hand out DLs to immigrants who have no status even with AOS pending.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from AOS Family k1/k3~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, Abcd1234 said:

So can we get driving license before gc? If here in usa on k1. K1 is only for 90 days what happens after 90 days? Can we get license after 90 days?

Some states you can get a DL during the 90 day window after you arrive but what usually happens is that it expires on the 90th day. That also goes for most states when the I94 expires that you will not be able to get a DL until the EAD and the GC. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
12 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Some states you can get a DL during the 90 day window after you arrive but what usually happens is that it expires on the 90th day. That also goes for most states when the I94 expires that you will not be able to get a DL until the EAD and the GC. 

Not exactly true. In NJ for example, You MIGHT get one with NOA for AoS, EAD, passport, SSN, Proof of residency (bank statement), old DL (country of origin), Birth certificate. It varies state by state, officer to officer, laziness of the staff, knowledge, and willingness to help out. In general, how am i supposed to drive, if EAD takes 4+ months, International DL is valid for 3months, and i won't see Green card god knows how long.
Get as much papers to prove you're legally here just waiting for EAD, AoS, and go to local DMV. If they don't want to help You, go to another one, if there you have issues, go to third one and then if it doesn't work out, give up and wait for EAD. Being nice, insistent and understanding usually helps wonders. 

My wife is in the same boat, waiting for NOA's and definitely going to DMV to try get a DL.

EDIT: In NJ if you don't have GC or EAD, they'll issue a 6months valid DL.

Edited by PaulMac

2 minutes ago, PaulMac said:

Not exactly true. In NJ for example, You MIGHT get one with NOA for AoS, EAD, passport, SSN, Proof of residency (bank statement), old DL (country of origin), Birth certificate. It varies state by state, officer to officer, laziness of the staff, knowledge, and willingness to help out. In general, how am i supposed to drive, if EAD takes 4+ months, International DL is valid for 3months, and i won't see Green card god knows how long.
Get as much papers to prove you're legally here just waiting for EAD, AoS, and go to local DMV. If they don't want to help You, go to another one, if there you have issues, go to third one and then if it doesn't work out, give up and wait for EAD. Being nice, insistent and understanding usually helps wonders. 

My wife is in the same boat, waiting for NOA's and definitely going to DMV to try get a DL.

EDIT: In NJ if you don't have GC or EAD, they'll issue a 6months valid DL.

Did you not read what I said at all. I said it varies by state because some states are like NJ while others are not. Since the OP does not give a location on where they are at it is hard to say exactly what laws so you have to be generic. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
12 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Some states you can get a DL during the 90 day window after you arrive but what usually happens is that it expires on the 90th day. That also goes for most states when the I94 expires that you will not be able to get a DL until the EAD and the GC

16 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Did you not read what I said at all. I said it varies by state because some states are like NJ while others are not. Since the OP does not give a location on where they are at it is hard to say exactly what laws so you have to be generic. 

I did read what you said. Where in those two sentences you mention AoS, EAD NOA or longer than 90day valid drivers' licence, can't seem to find that? i just ADDED to what you said, no need to be so dramatic lol.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 hours ago, Abcd1234 said:

It varies by state of residence.  The only way you can find out is by going to your local DMV or check their website for requirements.

8 hours ago, Visitor User said:

In Texas you can by showing your EAD. Valid til EAD expiration date.

IF on K1 they will also issue a Driver License or State ID valid until the end of the 90 day entry on your K1 via the I-94

We got the ID and proved to be an asset while waiting on GreenCard

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
9 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

IF on K1 they will also issue a Driver License or State ID valid until the end of the 90 day entry on your K1 via the I-94

We got the ID and proved to be an asset while waiting on GreenCard

Yes, they should regardless of state. Congrats. Happy driving. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 1/31/2019 at 6:42 AM, PaulMac said:

International DL is valid for 3months,

If she didn't arrive yet, she could go look at her home country's automotive club or whatever who can issue international driver's license for a fee which is valid for a year.

Good to know that if she is here she can't get one from here and also the web is full with "fake/hardly legal" international driver's licenses which you can order online for like $30-$50, but most likely wouldn't hold up if the police stops you or you get into an accident...

AFAIK she doesn't have an international DL, she has a foreign DL, just to clear up the terminology.

On the K1 she could apply for an USA driver's license, but that would expire when her I-90. After that she has to stop driving until she receives her EAD or GC and renew her license....

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
17 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

If she didn't arrive yet, she could go look at her home country's automotive club or whatever who can issue international driver's license for a fee which is valid for a year.

Good to know that if she is here she can't get one from here and also the web is full with "fake/hardly legal" international driver's licenses which you can order online for like $30-$50, but most likely wouldn't hold up if the police stops you or you get into an accident...

AFAIK she doesn't have an international DL, she has a foreign DL, just to clear up the terminology.

On the K1 she could apply for an USA driver's license, but that would expire when her I-90. After that she has to stop driving until she receives her EAD or GC and renew her license....

It is an International Drivers Permit, basically a translation.

Would not change the validity of how long a new resident has to get a State License.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

It is an International Drivers Permit, basically a translation.

Would not change the validity of how long a new resident has to get a State License.

AFAIK if you get an international drivers license from your home country(not your regular DL) you can drive with that up to a year. If you have only the DL from your home country that is three months and a translation from the web won't make it legal as you said it before, even tho they issue the translation for a year and also send u a plastic card which might look like an international drivers license....

Pls correct me if I misunderstood something.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Just now, ineedadisplayname said:

AFAIK if you get an international drivers license from your home country(not your regular DL) you can drive with that up to a year. If you have only the DL from your home country that is three months and a translation from the web won't make it legal as you said it before, even tho they issue the translation for a year and also send u a plastic card which might look like an international drivers license....

Pls correct me if I misunderstood something.

Visitors I think in all States are allowed a year.

I used to have a IDP many years ago for driving in France etc before the common EU style was issued. It does not give you any additional privileges.  Id did not need one in the US as mine was in English, my State rules have changed since I immigrated, it is a problem for most new residents coming in on a K1. New Residents need to find out what their State rules are.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.