Marriagejuris

Jurisdiction that allows you to remarry your spouse

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Marriagejuris said:

We will disclose both marriages. That is something our lawyer has advised as well. I just need to know if there is any jurisdiction (like new york) that allows a couple to remarry with a new marriage date and certificate. 

Sorta like this:

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/marrying-same-person-twice-in-two-different-countr-1327892.html (read lawyer answers)

We had a destination wedding in an asian country where neither of us is a resident, dont speak,read, or understand the language and everything there is via intermediaries who are essentially asking for bribes to get anything done. 

You can't have 2 simultaneous marriages......I think your only real option is to obtain an original marriage certificate from the country where you married.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, belinda63 said:

If the marriage was legal in the country it occurred USCIS will consider it a legal marriage. You will need to provide the certificate from this marriage.

Bingo!!!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you are dealing with USCIS, you wouldn't want them to have slight inclination that you are trying to trick them with some re-marriage stuff. They will find out and petition/application will be scrutinized super hard. You'll need the original marriage certificate from whichever Asian country you got married in. You said you'll disclose both marriages, therefore you'll have to disclose both marriage certificates. If not, you'll get an RFE.

Either ways NJ does allow remarriage and guess what? The original marriage certificate is a requirement. Anyway, here's the NJ link and scroll down to remarriage section:

https://www.nj.gov/health/vital/registration-vital/marriage-licenses/#6

It's more like... to reaffirm your relationship/vows by registering a remarriage.

Good luck.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
17 hours ago, Marriagejuris said:

We will disclose both marriages. That is something our lawyer has advised as well. I just need to know if there is any jurisdiction (like new york) that allows a couple to remarry with a new marriage date and certificate. 

Sorta like this:

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/marrying-same-person-twice-in-two-different-countr-1327892.html (read lawyer answers)

We had a destination wedding in an asian country where neither of us is a resident, dont speak,read, or understand the language and everything there is via intermediaries who are essentially asking for bribes to get anything done. 

The link showed someone who got married twice, so they have to disclose both marriage certificates.

With a re-marriage, you would have to disclose both marriage certificates.  That's what all the lawyers advised to the couple in the link you provided.

No idea why you think you need to get marry a second time.  What would be the purpose?  You still have to provide the certificate from your destination wedding.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Legalities of Renewing Your Marriage Vows

Remember that a renewal of your vows is not a legal ceremony. It is only a symbolic, sentimental ceremony. Generally, for a renewal of vows, a license is not required and paperwork is not needed. Some officiants and wedding chapels may request to see your marriage certificate to confirm that you are already married.

There may be hoops for you to jump through if your marriage was not and is not legal. If you have doubts about the legality of your original marriage and want to get remarried legally, it is best that you talk with your local government official in charge of marriages

many in.  NY  state  renew their vows as  my friends do  each  anniversery  but doesn't make this the legal marriage

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline

🤔🤣🤔🤣 Indeed VJ is literally sometimes stranger than fiction.

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,

Neither are you here to live up to mine.

I don't owe no one no obligation 
So everything is fine, fine

I said, I am that I am I am, I am, I am

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
19 hours ago, Marriagejuris said:

Sorta like this:

My experience says just pay the bribes.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

My experience says just pay the bribes.

It would help is the OP told us what country this is.......

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
6 minutes ago, missileman said:

It would help is the OP told us what country this is.......

Any information would be better I think. If there marriage isn't valid in the eyes of USCIS a marriage after they have already filed isn't going to stop the denial, but who knows what they have and haven't filed. The only thing I could really think of is the date on the certificate predating the date of a finalize divorce for some reason.

If the first marriage was legal, then there is no reason a remarriage is necessary.

If the first marriage was not legal, then there shouldn't be (much of) an issue getting legally married.

If the issue is with getting documentation for the first marriage, you're going to have to deal with it either way. A new marriage isn't going to resolve that.

To get any sort of new marriage license, you will have to affirm that you are not currently married. But you are.

To get any sort of "remarriage registered", you will need the previous, valid marriage certificate.

I'm failing to see how this fixes any immigration issues.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

21 hours ago, Marriagejuris said:

Sorta like this:

Why does having a destination wedding in an Asian country where you don't understand the language warrant a "second marriage"? The certificate from that wedding and country are still valid, still legal, still recognized. You're making this way complicated for no reason and putting yourself in a weird legal situation that immigration officials will have trouble understanding. Heck, WE are having trouble understanding it just on this forum.

Timeline

OP-  In what country did you marry?  There are posters here who might be able to offer some help.

I want to kick myself in the nads as I type this. Im divorced. When I went there, the translator said he spoke with someone in the court and he said that if my wife was aware of my divorce, I could simply state I am single on the application form. (Which I thought was true - I am single arent I? )Thinking this is legally allowed because the court guy said it, I agreed. I know, hind sight is 20/20. Then I saw this : https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/401816-cr1-denied-for-a-mistake-in-the-marriage-contract/ (not the same country, but the similar situation regardless)

Now to get it fixed I essenitally have to go back to the court and tell them the paperwork is wrong (I didnt understand what was on it to begin with - lord knows what I signed)

The translator is MIA. Maybe I am being paranoid and this will just cost a lot of money, - which I am OK with -  but the prospect of being in legal trouble in a country where no one speaks english is scaring me to death. 

So, consulting with a lawyer, we are looking to remarry in a jurisdiction that legally allows this. New york does, but if I could get her to NY, I would not need to do this to begin with. Just looking for a country that will allow us to marry again, properly disclosing that we are already married - the lawyer says its OK to marry the same person as many times as you want - which is something I know a lot of you disagree with, but multiple lawyers have confirmed. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Marriagejuris said:

I want to kick myself in the nads as I type this. Im divorced. When I went there, the translator said he spoke with someone in the court and he said that if my wife was aware of my divorce, I could simply state I am single on the application form. (Which I thought was true - I am single arent I? )Thinking this is legally allowed because the court guy said it, I agreed. I know, hind sight is 20/20. Then I saw this : https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/401816-cr1-denied-for-a-mistake-in-the-marriage-contract/ (not the same country, but the similar situation regardless)

Now to get it fixed I essenitally have to go back to the court and tell them the paperwork is wrong (I didnt understand what was on it to begin with - lord knows what I signed)

The translator is MIA. Maybe I am being paranoid and this will just cost a lot of money, - which I am OK with -  but the prospect of being in legal trouble in a country where no one speaks english is scaring me to death. 

So, consulting with a lawyer, we are looking to remarry in a jurisdiction that legally allows this. New york does, but if I could get her to NY, I would not need to do this to begin with. Just looking for a country that will allow us to marry again, properly disclosing that we are already married - the lawyer says its OK to marry the same person as many times as you want - which is something I know a lot of you disagree with, but multiple lawyers have confirmed. 

1.  You still haven't told us what country.  There just might be someone here who has connections in Asia!!  There are a few of us here who have Asian spouses.  

2.  You can not re-marry someone in the eyes of USCIS you have already married.  You can renew your vows, but it doesn't override the 1st marriage date...

3.  If you are divorced, you still have to produce a divorce decree for the marriage from which you are divorced.

Edited by missileman

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.