visaquestion1234

Confused about processing times

32 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, visaquestion1234 said:

Hi guys,

I’ve been looking at the processing times and I’m a little confused. Do those times indicate what a current filer should expect? I’m an early September filer and I know that current processing times are about 9-12 months. But what if in, say 2 or 3 months, the processing time drops to 8-11 months? What does that mean for me? Will I benefit from that?

The main reason I am asking this is because I would love for my fiancée to have advanced parole by November of 2019. Using worst case timelines, that wouldn’t work for a filer in September of 2018. However, it just may be possible for a 10 month K1 plus a 4 month AP. That seems like wishful thinking now, but I wonder if things will speed up a bit before next fall. Thoughts?

Thanks!

That would be best case scenario.  My (now) husband and I are looking at a similar timeline.  We filed 2/1/18, NOA2 was 8/10, POE 10/16, wedding 10/21 and filed for AOS/AP/EAD on 11/1/2018.   The VJ projection is that he should have his combo card two months from now, in March.  

We had no RFEs, our petition went from the CSC to NVC to Auckland without delay, and he had his interview like one month later.  The only delay, which amounted to one extra week, was that the Auckland consulate did not receive his medical until the day after the interview.  

We feel very fortunate that everything has gone so smoothly, as we know many couples here have not been so lucky.

4 hours ago, visaquestion1234 said:

A year for green cards? I’ve never seen an estimate that high. I mean, if she can get her work authorization and advance parole before that, it doesn’t matter so much I guess.

Have you looked at actual processing times?  Seattle field office, for example, is 15-23 months.

2 hours ago, visaquestion1234 said:

Thank you. Are we both interviewed at that time? Does it seem to be less stressful than the K1 interview?

The officers can interview you together or separately.  I can't speak to the stress levels, personally, as we are not at the AOS interview place yet.  My husband did not find the K-1 interview to be particularly stressful.  He had already been through a B-2 interview there, it is a low fraud consulate, and we had a solid case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Have you looked at actual processing times?  Seattle field office, for example, is 15-23 months.

I had no idea. So another 1 year+ after marriage and then the “final” interview? That’s so unfortunate...I feel like I would still be nervous throughout that time period too - just knowing that one small misunderstanding at the interview could deny her the green card and put our lives together in jeopardy...ugh this can be so frustrating! Thank you for your answers.

3 minutes ago, visaquestion1234 said:

I had no idea. So another 1 year+ after marriage and then the “final” interview? That’s so unfortunate...I feel like I would still be nervous throughout that time period too - just knowing that one small misunderstanding at the interview could deny her the green card and put our lives together in jeopardy...ugh this can be so frustrating! Thank you for your answers.

Btw, if you complete your timeline you will receive answers that are more meaningful to your situation and geography.

43 minutes ago, visaquestion1234 said:

Not a final interview. 

There will be another process after 2 years and oh boy, brace yourself for waiting a good year or year and a half for a 10 year green card. It's called removal of conditions. You had no idea about aos which is unfortunate, but start educating yourself about the rest of the process. Aos is not a last step. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

6 hours ago, visaquestion1234 said:

A year for green cards? I’ve never seen an estimate that high. I mean, if she can get her work authorization and advance parole before that, it doesn’t matter so much I guess.

A year is the norm for most offices.

13 hours ago, visaquestion1234 said:

Hi guys,

I’ve been looking at the processing times and I’m a little confused. Do those times indicate what a current filer should expect? I’m an early September filer and I know that current processing times are about 9-12 months. But what if in, say 2 or 3 months, the processing time drops to 8-11 months? What does that mean for me? Will I benefit from that?

The main reason I am asking this is because I would love for my fiancée to have advanced parole by November of 2019. Using worst case timelines, that wouldn’t work for a filer in September of 2018. However, it just may be possible for a 10 month K1 plus a 4 month AP. That seems like wishful thinking now, but I wonder if things will speed up a bit before next fall. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Each for is processed at a different location, so if you’re talking about the K1 application and you submitted it in sep18 that itself can take 1+ and then the AOS time is yet another processing time, be proactive with the whole process, like when the visa is issued and they come get their ssn immediately (so they can get a state ID), get married immediately (by court house you can do your regular wedding after aos is sent), collect all the possible evidence at that point (which is easier if you’re proactive) and it is very possible to get their EAD/AP soon after, there are unicorn cases that are processed very quickly and proactivity has a hand in it 👌🏽 Good luck 🍀👍🏽 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
13 hours ago, visaquestion1234 said:

In some cities, it is now taking as long as 3 years. Here in South Florida, I have several friends who are still waiting after 23 months with their work and travel permits taking 5 months or more.

14 hours ago, visaquestion1234 said:

Many of them are a year or more, sometimes 2 years. We are at 9 months since we filed and we are waiting....

We aren't even from a typical "longer wait" area either and are still very much within processing time."

He received his EAD/AP card in about 5 months though. 

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

14 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Well, one thing that in your favor is they approved one September recently so maybe by the end of the month you'll hear about your case being approved. So many factors play into a timeline that it's difficult for us to give you anything near a best guess. Your mileage may vary.

I noticed a September approval but it is September of 2016!  LOL

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In our case,I got my EAd and AP 7 months after we submit our AOS application. I thought that it will take more than a year for the green card. But I received my  AOS interview almost  2 months after i received the combo card. And got my green card one week after the interview. Total of 9 months. But just what Roel mentioned, AOS is not the last step. The removing of conditions is another battle.

Edited by NovaDC

17 hours ago, accumbyte said:

It can vary wildly. The Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN office is about 1.5 years: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/656415-minneapolis-st-paul-mn-office-aos-filers/?page=31 The Jacksonville, FL office tends to be quick with some cases in the 3-4 month range.

Yep. Jacksonville Fl is processing super quickly. 3 1/2 months for my husband to have Gc in hand.

I’ve heard Houston is another one that’s super backed up.

OP take a look at your local field office processing times for GC. Although things could change by then, it’s good to get an idea of where it’s at now.

K-1 VISA

I129F Sent: 08/23/2017

NOA 1: 08/25/2017

NOA 2: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/14/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/24/2018

Embassy Received: 03/28/2018

Medical: 05/08/2018

Interview: 05/15/2018 

Visa issued: 05/18/2018

Visa received: 05/23/2018 

AOS

POE: 06/07/2018

SSN applied: 06/12/2018

SSN received: 06/28/2018

AOS Sent: 07/27/2018

Biometrics: 08/23/2018

Interview: 10/30/2018

Approval: 10/30/2018 

NOA2: 11/05/2018

Green card Received: 11/08/2018

NO MORE USCIS UNTIL ROC!!!!!😁

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.