visaquestion1234

Confused about processing times

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi guys,

I’ve been looking at the processing times and I’m a little confused. Do those times indicate what a current filer should expect? I’m an early September filer and I know that current processing times are about 9-12 months. But what if in, say 2 or 3 months, the processing time drops to 8-11 months? What does that mean for me? Will I benefit from that?

The main reason I am asking this is because I would love for my fiancée to have advanced parole by November of 2019. Using worst case timelines, that wouldn’t work for a filer in September of 2018. However, it just may be possible for a 10 month K1 plus a 4 month AP. That seems like wishful thinking now, but I wonder if things will speed up a bit before next fall. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Depends on how long it takes for the marriage certificate to come back to you and how fast you can file AOS and then how fast your local office is working.  A few local offices are really fast with 3 month turnaround on green cards but most are looking at about a year.  

I suspect it may slow down even more rather than speed up though the longer this shutdown lasts as background checks etc will take longer to complete. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
2 minutes ago, accumbyte said:

Then an option is to delay 1 or more of the following:

• The medical
  • The K-1 interview
  • US entry with the K-1

The visa is usually valid for 6 months after the medical date.

Yeah, I’m hoping we don’t have to go that route. 😕 Thanks for your answers.

Timeline

A year for green cards? I’ve never seen an estimate that high. I mean, if she can get her work authorization and advance parole before that, it doesn’t matter so much I guess.

Edited by visaquestion1234

4 minutes ago, visaquestion1234 said:

I’ve never seen an estimate that high.

It can vary wildly. The Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN office is about 1.5 years: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/656415-minneapolis-st-paul-mn-office-aos-filers/?page=31 The Jacksonville, FL office tends to be quick with some cases in the 3-4 month range.

10 minutes ago, visaquestion1234 said:

A year for green cards? I’ve never seen an estimate that high. I mean, if she can get her work authorization and advance parole before that, it doesn’t matter so much I guess.

Generally speaking 4-6 months for EAD/AP

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

41 minutes ago, visaquestion1234 said:

Hi guys,

I’ve been looking at the processing times and I’m a little confused. Do those times indicate what a current filer should expect? I’m an early September filer and I know that current processing times are about 9-12 months. But what if in, say 2 or 3 months, the processing time drops to 8-11 months? What does that mean for me? Will I benefit from that?

The main reason I am asking this is because I would love for my fiancée to have advanced parole by November of 2019. Using worst case timelines, that wouldn’t work for a filer in September of 2018. However, it just may be possible for a 10 month K1 plus a 4 month AP. That seems like wishful thinking now, but I wonder if things will speed up a bit before next fall. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Well, one thing that in your favor is they approved one September recently so maybe by the end of the month you'll hear about your case being approved. So many factors play into a timeline that it's difficult for us to give you anything near a best guess. Your mileage may vary.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

1 hour ago, visaquestion1234 said:

Do those times indicate what a current filer should expect? I’m an early September filer and I know that current processing times are about 9-12 months. But what if in, say 2 or 3 months, the processing time drops to 8-11 months? What does that mean for me? Will I benefit from that?

They are current processing timelines. Nobody knows what will happen to them in the future.

When I filed the I-129F in late 2016, it was taking 30 days. haha It took ~4 months and has grown a lot.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The whole processing time thing is a huge uncertainty.  Some cases go quickly, others take forever.  Best way to go is not plan on anything for sure and just wrap your head around the idea that it's mostly out of your control (except for the speed at which you reply to RFEs, send in documents pay fees, etc.), so like we're all doing, wait patiently and hope for about average times.  If you look at the USCIS processing times alone, the averages are going up every year, so if these trends hold, average times today are likely to be less than in the future.  K1 in particular has really slowed down the last year for some reason.  Maybe the TV show has helped increased the number of applications or something, hard to say with so many factors at play.  Try to visit as often as you can during the wait.  Good luck!

Timeline

Sorry, just another quick question - does everyone have an interview for AOS after getting married via a K1? I’ve read both.

11 minutes ago, visaquestion1234 said:

Sorry, just another quick question - does everyone have an interview for AOS after getting married via a K1? I’ve read both.

People doing AOS from K-1 used to be generally eligible for an interview waiver. That changed last year (or as it late 2017 now? that seems like ages ago already) and the USCIS policy manual updated their interview waiver guidelines.

I don't want to say "all", but I'm not aware of any recently.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.