Travelling_kiwi

Can I apply for a B2 visa with 212(a)(7)(a)(i)(i) refusal?

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Diabloz1019 said:

Wow they really checked your phone? Is this something new? 

No. 

They can check phones, laptops, social media, etc. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Were you hoping to do some freelancing whilst you were here? Three months is a long time to go without a pay check when you're living in hotels and paying rent and utilities back home. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

6 hours ago, Diabloz1019 said:

Wow they really checked your phone? Is this something new? 

Nope. Happens more than you think. In fact, it is more shocking that people don't know that officers have the capacity to check such items.

You can certainly refuse the officer to search through your items, but don't expect to be gained entry.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Nope. Happens more than you think. In fact, it is more shocking that people don't know that officers have the capacity to check such items.

You can certainly refuse the officer to search through your items, but don't expect to be gained entry.

Look at it this way. In the past, people carried paper documents of VCs, birth certificates, letters of offer etc....now everything is mostly electronic, so it makes sense for any country immigration to look at computers and phones. 

As an aside, if you have Netflicks, there is a show called Border Security USA at JFK. Rather slow and a bit boring at times. They check your insides too for drugs, both X ray and with probes. 100% justified. They are here to protect us

Timeline

Just wanted to let everyone know, I got granted the B1/B2 visa! 

It was a 15 minute interview with them. They asked me question about why I was going, where, how long etc. then they asked me why I was denied entry and I told them the truth (had nothing to had). My answers weren’t long as I didn’t want to overexplain. I had to show them a couple of documents, my residential utility bill, bank statement and my business lease. They took my passport to be sent away and then they said they will send it to my mailing address here in NZ.

I will let you know how I go in a few months when it’s time for my vacation!

Timeline
On 1/4/2019 at 11:44 PM, JFH said:

Were you hoping to do some freelancing whilst you were here? Three months is a long time to go without a pay check when you're living in hotels and paying rent and utilities back home. 

No, we have something called Holiday Pay/Annual Leave every year, which means we get paid to go on Holiday (pretty much). Here in Australia and NZ we are entitled 5/6 weeks paid with non work.

Some people can accumulate up to 3 months! Same goes for people on maternity leave, our government will pay both parents up to 3 months to look after their child if they’re not able to attend their jobs during that time!

When I told the CBP about Holiday Pay, they said “so you’re getting paid on a vacation and you’re not working? Doubt it.” 

And I didn’t say anything because I was just thinking... What the... 

Thanks for the update.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline
2 hours ago, Travelling_kiwi said:

Just wanted to let everyone know, I got granted the B1/B2 visa! 

It was a 15 minute interview with them. They asked me question about why I was going, where, how long etc. then they asked me why I was denied entry and I told them the truth (had nothing to had). My answers weren’t long as I didn’t want to overexplain. I had to show them a couple of documents, my residential utility bill, bank statement and my business lease. They took my passport to be sent away and then they said they will send it to my mailing address here in NZ.

I will let you know how I go in a few months when it’s time for my vacation!

I was about to type a response to your initial posting and say to keep positive and apply for the visa. I just noticed this. Glad you were not discouraged and went ahead and applied. As someone who got stopped a couple of times on a B visa before I ultimately migrated to the USA (and from evidence based on research) sometimes a person is not stopped based on some red flag. Some of the stoppages for secondary inspection are completely random.

There's a plethora of knowledge and advice to be gleaned here from very knowledgeable people. However sometimes in trying to be real when providing an answer or opinion, people can come across very discouraging/negative/depressing. Good thing you forged on with the application. 👍 ✌️ 👍

Ultimately you got to attempt/play/apply in order to win. Nobody wins a game (or gets a petition approved) by sitting on the sidelines regardless of the odds.

Edited by HonoraryCitizen

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,

Neither are you here to live up to mine.

I don't owe no one no obligation 
So everything is fine, fine

I said, I am that I am I am, I am, I am

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Agree, thanks for the update.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...
Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline
On 1/8/2019 at 2:28 PM, Travelling_kiwi said:

No, we have something called Holiday Pay/Annual Leave every year, which means we get paid to go on Holiday (pretty much). Here in Australia and NZ we are entitled 5/6 weeks paid with non work.

Some people can accumulate up to 3 months! Same goes for people on maternity leave, our government will pay both parents up to 3 months to look after their child if they’re not able to attend their jobs during that time!

When I told the CBP about Holiday Pay, they said “so you’re getting paid on a vacation and you’re not working? Doubt it.” 

And I didn’t say anything because I was just thinking... What the... 

The Americans have the same too.  They just call it vacation.  

2 hours ago, EmilyW said:

As are many of us. 

Lol touché... after all this is a site with people giving advice about VISAS, it stands to reason it has a large well-travelled membership 😂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.