LoriJamsPatchett

HELP!! Fiancé in Algeria Work Visa or K1 faster

58 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 minutes ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

I actually “married” in just Islam way which is not legal there or here. So just a religious ceremony.

Congrats! You are now "too married " for a K1! So now you have no choice but to apply for a CR1 after returning to get married legally. Keep in mind you will also need to meet 125% of poverty line for 6 people too. 

Current processing time 12-16 months after submitting proof of true marriage.  Pictures and chat logs don't usually cut it in high fraud countries either. 

I suggest you spend a LOT of time studying the process. A quick google search ahead of time would have shown you how terrible doing a traditional Islamic ceremony/nikkah would be. 

And if you think you just wont mention it, well you've already asserted you've been on news and all over FB. And lying about it? Committing visa fraud? Not a great way to get your husband here fast...or ever. 

Good luck! 

6 minutes ago, janet3 said:

No. That’s not true.

You are married through Islam. You may NOT file for the K1 visa. You must go back to Algeria and marry through the legal system. You are too married to file for the k1.

@geowrian @missileman am I wrong?

Nope you are not!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How many times have you visited?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I agree with @EandH0904 The Nikkah is actually a legally binding contract.

You need to go to Algeria and be legally married. It takes about two weeks to get all of the paperwork in Algeria....and the US (medical, police records, certificate of non marriage plus the translations of all of the paperwork). I have heard Tunisia is easier so you could try that route.

5 minutes ago, janet3 said:

I agree with @EandH0904 The Nikkah is actually a legally binding contract.

You need to go to Algeria and be legally married. It takes about two weeks to get all of the paperwork in Algeria....and the US (medical, police records, certificate of non marriage plus the translations of all of the paperwork). I have heard Tunisia is easier so you could try that route.

Well shoot I had no idea, ugh. Yes I have heard Tunisia is easier as well. But if that’s legal why do I need to go back. They should let me file since they won’t let me do K1 🙄

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
3 minutes ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

Well shoot I had no idea, ugh. Yes I have heard Tunisia is easier as well. But if that’s legal why do I need to go back. They should let me file since they won’t let me do K1 🙄

No. You cannot file for the CR1 until you are legally married. You must go back to complete the marriage.

There’s two components to the marriage. You did the religious part. But the paperwork must be completed for the state to recognize it.

Edited by janet3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

See how things go, make amore trips, you have plenty of time to decide which is the best option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I can't speak for Algeria's laws on what qualifies as married.

But it certainly appears too married for a K-1 even if wasn't legal. Not a good idea to try for a K-1 and risk all that time (and some decent money).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Here is the guide for spousal visa - good read while preparing your legal marriage:, to see what will be needed later  
https://www.visajourney.com/cr1-ir1-spousal-visa/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, LoriJamsPatchett said:

I actually “married” in just Islam way which is not legal there or here. So just a religious ceremony.

no K1 for you.

you will have to get legally married and file a CR1

and you being all over news and social media with this (for whatever reason that may be) does NOT work in your favor.

Once for 2 weeks

now you get to go back and get legally married.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

because now you need the legal part of it. it is a case (and happens ALL the time) of being too married for a k1 and not married enough for a CR1.

i dont know why youve been all over news and facebook with it, nor do i care, but you have done so so many things that are BAD BAD for a visa. You really need to research a LOT more, you will need to get legally married now, and file the CR1.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

With one visit and a high fraud country, you do not have enough relationship evidence for a K-1 or CR-1.  

There is no fast and cheap way to immigrate to the US.  It doesn't exist.  

If order for him to get a US visa to be with you, you will need to more visits.  You will need to develop your relationship evidence before you submit any petition.  You need to make a strong case.  Right now, you have a weak case with just one visit and getting sorta "married."  Go back for more visits.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.