Meisha&Jake

Freaking out! - no verification of me being here on a K1 fiancé visa?!

39 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Meisha&Jake said:

Going to the offices tomorrow & will ask to speak to the supervisor for sure!

Just figuring out how to word that i truly am eligible.. despbite having the print out showing i am from the official SS website - i couldnt get a word in edgeways on the phone

When filling out the AOS form, shall i leave SSN blank & tick i have applied? The SSO said nothing about withdrawing my application 

I know some SS offices handle this very different and will give you an SSN, but I had a similar issue and can just assure you (like everyone else did): You will be fine!🤗

My story: The SS office asked me if I already married (which I obviously answered truthfully) and refused to give me an SSN based on me no longer being a K1, since I got married. They made clear that after they get informed about the marriage, they can no longer give out an SSN, which is why I got a denial letter stating they could not verify the immigrant document - that was the K1 visa  - I submitted as evidence of my lawful alien status. They could not give me an answer as to what my current status is now, but after talking to several people in the office, including the supervisor, it became clear that I would not be issued an SSN before I got my EAD.

On the AOS form (I think) you can ask for the issuance of an SSN along with the card which we didn't as we were under the impression we could go by the next day (we had AOS already filed when we visited the SS office).

Let me just tell you, it did not matter AT ALL. We were freaked out too, but I was able to get health insurance, into the lease, a joint bank account, everything, after that. Once I got my EAD I went back to the SS office and got an SSN without any further issue. 

Hope this helps, it might just be that your office is going after the same rule/applies the rule stricter than other offices (just based on seeing you got married in November according to your profile here, I assume they know?) or maybe is  just being difficult for other reasons; but it won't matter too much.

Edited by Catseal

you'll be fine without SSN i went to ss office 3 weeks before my i94 expired too,,waited 4 hrs before they call my number and got no helpful responds they said we need to get married first then apply for ssn..they give me a blue sheets she said incase i want to apply for driver license..my husband is no dummy we just got frustrated and leave..we got married 2 weeks before i94 expire and and send aos 1 week before it expired..you have plenty of time to submit your aos..dont bother with ssn for now they seems unhelpful ..good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Catseal said:

The SS office asked me if I already married (which I obviously answered truthfully) and refused to give me an SSN based on me no longer being a K1, since I got married

That is just so-o-o wrong. I have heard of workers telling someone they are now a K-3 because they got married. Your visa can't change into a different visa. Your admission was a K1 which is eligible for a SSN. 

22 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Well I wouldn't bother trying to explain anything to a regular worker.  They will try to fob you off and get you to explain it all again to the underlings.  I would keep saying "I wish to see a supervisor" full stop.

My wife is a master of stubbornness. She worked her way up to a supervisor at the IRS  by politely saying that in response everything the guy on the phone (who wasn't comprehending the $10,000 data entry mistake they made) said to her. "The supervisor is busy and it may be two hours." "Then I will hold this phone to my ear for two hours because I need a supervisor." It took about five minutes for the supervisor to come on and about 10 seconds for her to say she saw the $10k error and would submit it for a rework."

Tell the supervisor you were not confident at the x-number of times others had tried to help. You've got the print out that you are eligible. You will apply exactly as the I-94 name is whether misspelled or your first and middle name are run together as one long name. You have your passport where K1 entry was noted. They should find you in the SAVE database.  You might want to print this procedure https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211140

AOS question. I'm not familiar with a place to tick "applied for". I left mine blank---it says something like "SSN (if any)". I didn't have one. 

18 minutes ago, Catseal said:

I know some SS offices handle this very different and will give you an SSN, but I had a similar issue and can just assure you (like everyone else did): You will be fine!🤗

My story: The SS office asked me if I already married (which I obviously answered truthfully) and refused to give me an SSN based on me no longer being a K1, since I got married. They made clear that after they get informed about the marriage, they can no longer give out an SSN, which is why I got a denial letter stating they could not verify the immigrant document - that was the K1 visa  - I submitted as evidence of my lawful alien status. They could not give me an answer as to what my current status is now, but after talking to several people in the office, including the supervisor, it became clear that I would not be issued an SSN before I got my EAD.

On the AOS form (I think) you can ask for the issuance of an SSN along with the card which we didn't as we were under the impression we could go by the next day (we had AOS already filed when we visited the SS office).

Let me just tell you, it did not matter AT ALL. We were freaked out too, but I was able to get health insurance, into the lease, a joint bank account, everything, after that. Once I got my EAD I went back to the SS office and got an SSN without any further issue. 

Hope this helps, it might just be that your office is going after the same rule/applies the rule stricter than other offices (just based on seeing you got married in November according to your profile here, I assume they know?) or maybe is  just being difficult for other reasons; but it won't matter too much.

5 minutes ago, gaski said:

you'll be fine without SSN i went to ss office 3 weeks before my i94 expired too,,waited 4 hrs before they call my number and got no helpful responds they said we need to get married first then apply for ssn..they give me a blue sheets she said incase i want to apply for driver license..my husband is no dummy we just got frustrated and leave..we got married 2 weeks before i94 expire and and send aos 1 week before it expired..you have plenty of time to submit your aos..dont bother with ssn for now they seems unhelpful ..good luck

Thank you!! I appreciate everyone taking the time to reassure me

What I find hard to understand is why was I given a letter with my full name & ss office reference number basically saying ive applied & they will now verify my documents... yet the two women on the phone today gave different answers & said i cant be verified?! Surely they would send me a letter saying this?

K1 Fiance Visa Journey 💍 - From sending I-129F to Visa in hand = 295 days📅

Spoiler

10th-Oct-2017 I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

13th-Oct-2017 - I-129F received 

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

19th-Apr-2018 - NOA2 :dance:
8th-May-2018 - NVC received our case

14-May-2018 NVC case # assigned
29-June-2018 - Medical

20-July-2018 - Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

01-Aug-2018 Visa in hand 🎉
13-Oct-2018 - POE:dancing:
17-Nov-2018- Married:wub:

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

6th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox
11th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet received in Chicago
17th-Dec-2018 - Received txt notifications
18-Dec-2018 - Check cashed
17-Dec-2018 - NOA1 on USCIS online case status
24-Dec-2018 - x3 NOA1 letter's received in the mail:thumbs:
31-Dec-2018 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail
31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Biometrics appointment👍
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

10-Jan-2019 - Sent back initial evidence request documents by mail:clock:
15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Mar-2019 - Letter with interview date received in the mail!!!!!!! :D

30-Apr-2019 - AOS Interview!  :star: - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - AOS (I-485) Approval notice letter received in the mail
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

07-May-2019 - 2 year conditional Green card in hand! :dance:

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

16th-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

22nd-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet received in Phoenix, AZ lockbox

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
6 hours ago, Meisha&Jake said:

I just had a really rude woman from my local SS offices

If you live in a bigger town try to go to a different SS office. It might help with the rudeness and you might get a more knowledgeable employee.

Edited by ineedadisplayname

54 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

That is just so-o-o wrong. I have heard of workers telling someone they are now a K-3 because they got married. Your visa can't change into a different visa. Your admission was a K1 which is eligible for a SSN. 

It might be them not knowing what they are talking about, but I could not convince them otherwise nor did I find sufficient proof that they were wrong (and we tried). All I know is that's what they based their denial on and what happened to me, but as I said, it did not make a difference in the end, fortunately. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

@Meisha&Jake I'm curious was the office one of the ones in the Boston/Cambridge area (I see your profile says Massachusetts), or was it a smaller office in one of the surrounding towns in Massachusetts?

I'm curious what I have to look forward to with my fiance in a few months when we will likely do the same/where to avoid 😑

31 minutes ago, Catseal said:

It might be them not knowing what they are talking about, but I could not convince them otherwise nor did I find sufficient proof that they were wrong (and we tried). All I know is that's what they based their denial on and what happened to me, but as I said, it did not make a difference in the end, fortunately. 

Did they even input your application into the system? Or flat out denied you when you went to apply? Just curious as my information & documents were taken yet im getting conflicting information from two workers

5 minutes ago, mc962 said:

@Meisha&Jake I'm curious was the office one of the ones in the Boston/Cambridge area (I see your profile says Massachusetts), or was it a smaller office in one of the surrounding towns in Massachusetts?

I'm curious what I have to look forward to with my fiance in a few months when we will likely do the same/where to avoid 😑

I will message you

Spoiler

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

29-June-2018 - Medical

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

8 minutes ago, Meisha&Jake said:

Did they even input your application into the system? Or flat out denied you when you went to apply? Just curious as my information & documents were taken yet im getting conflicting information from two workers

I went in twice and they did put my info into the system the first time but stopped the process right then and there when they heard we already married. I was only handed the denial, they never took my documents.

2 minutes ago, Catseal said:

I went in twice and they did put my info into the system the first time but stopped the process right then and there when they heard we already married. I was only handed the denial, they never took my documents.

Okay thank you! This is what makes me have a lil hope... not in your unfortunate situation but because they put all my info in & handed me this piece of paper - 

BC73E7E9-2ED2-42B1-98FF-BF5957A09691.jpeg

Spoiler

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

29-June-2018 - Medical

Spoiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
28 minutes ago, mc962 said:

At least you are preparing in advance and should be picking up tips. Many go in unprepared and believe anything the workers tell them. Social Security Administration does not know immigration that well. Different part of the government. Most of their experience is new cards to USCs and signing up people for retirement.   Know the rules and ask for a supervisor if it doesn't go smoothly.  

I have found a cracker-jack little office way out of the metro area that has short lines and has always been helpful. I went in my closest office once and it was a zoo. I turned around and left. Yes, you will go back to inform them when greencard is issued and citizenship.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Call the women who processed you when you went in. See what she says. If you're still in the system you will get the card after the checks are done. For some reason some K1's still need to go through manual verification. 

~~Thread moved to SSN from AOS Family k1/k3~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

10 hours ago, Meisha&Jake said:

Hoping someone can reassure me right now...

I just called my local SS office to ask for an update on my application, to be told that they cant process my application anymore as theyve had manual verification come back & say im not here on a K1?! they have no confirmation of such thing?! despite the fact i have my I-94 record which states i was accepted here on a K1 when i landed on the 13th October 2018

Im now freaking out that we cant send off AOS?!

Please someone help me understand.. me & my husband are worried sick now

What does it have to do with AOS?  You certainly can file.  My husband sent his off before he received his SSN (but after applying).  His POE was 10/16, he applied for his SSN on 10/17 (he also was not yet in system), and only received his card on 11/23.  

Thank you everyone - we decided just to carry on with the AOS paperwork & put the SSN situation to one side, wait for them to send me a outcome in writing 

Spoiler

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

29-June-2018 - Medical

Spoiler

On 11/27/2018 at 12:51 PM, Meisha&Jake said:

Thank you everyone - we decided just to carry on with the AOS paperwork & put the SSN situation to one side, wait for them to send me a outcome in writing 

Don't worry at all. I've read loads of stuff on here where people just have crappy SS office. They probably aren't educated in the K1. Do your AOS and don't stress. You've done nothing wrong!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.