PoohBear72

I'm about to be a US citizen, do I have to renew my UK passport?

31 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm reading lots of articles about dual citizenship US/UK and lots of questions being answered about renewing UK passports from the US etc.  My question is slightly different.  I have no plans to travel outside the US for the foreseeable future.  If I did I would apply for a US passport and use that at both ends - do I HAVE TO renew my UK passport?

I'm treating the Oath ceremony as a personal cutting of all my ties with the UK and I am not interested in collecting passports. 

(Just for clarity, my passport is currently in date for a few more years)

Thanks

Poohbear72

Edited by PoohBear72

Citizenship Timeline:

Service Center : Online  |  CIS Office : Columbus OH  |  Date Filed : 2018-08-20  |  NOA Date : 2018-08-21  |  Bio. Appt. : 2018-09-12  |  Interview Date : 2018-10-18  | 
Approved : 2018-10-19  |  Oath Ceremony : 2018-11-02   

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

no, you do not have to renew your passport. although, i personally would never be without a valid one. you never know why you may need one. so id keep the UK one valid until you get the US one just in case of emergency or other sudden situation

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nope

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

50 minutes ago, PoohBear72 said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm reading lots of articles about dual citizenship US/UK and lots of questions being answered about renewing UK passports from the US etc.  My question is slightly different.  I have no plans to travel outside the US for the foreseeable future.  If I did I would apply for a US passport and use that at both ends - do I HAVE TO renew my UK passport?

I'm treating the Oath ceremony as a personal cutting of all my ties with the UK and I am not interested in collecting passports. 

Thanks

Poohbear72

You don't have to, but think long term.   

I know for my husband, if he fails to renew his passport, he forfeits his citizenship to The Netherlands.   Not sure if UK is similar now or would be in the future. 

None of us can predict what will happen in the coming decades (i.e. healthcare costs, laws, politics, climate change, etc) and at some point you may change your mind and want that dual citizenship and passport. I've also found that when traveling, that Dutch passport my husband has is a benefit to both of us (I get to go in the EU passport lines, for example, even though I am USC).    Please think long and hard before you make your final decision.    

Timeline

Highly unlikely not renewing a Passport would have such a dire result, anywhere.

Certainly UK and USait is a long process to give up your Citizenship.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I have entered the UK as both British and American. You get in the shorter line in the UK if you have a British passport and your American spouse can go through that line with you. 

Even if you fail to renew your passport, you're  still a British citizen.

Is there a possibility that you could receive any retirement benefits from the U.K.?  If so, you may want to keep your citizenship there as well, so that when you reach retirement age you can draw your benefits from the U.K. as well as the US. However, you do not need to renew your passport. Congratulations on your soon to be US Citizen status!  

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

Is there a possibility that you could receive any retirement benefits from the U.K.?  If so, you may want to keep your citizenship there as well, so that when you reach retirement age you can draw your benefits from the U.K. as well as the US. However, you do not need to renew your passport. Congratulations on your soon to be US Citizen status!  

Begs the question where did the OP suggest interest on giving up UK Citizenship?

54 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Begs the question where did the OP suggest interest on giving up UK Citizenship?

Probably the comment about cutting all ties with the UK after taking the oath......

14 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

You don't have to, but think long term.   

I know for my husband, if he fails to renew his passport, he forfeits his citizenship to The Netherlands.   Not sure if UK is similar now or would be in the future. 

None of us can predict what will happen in the coming decades (i.e. healthcare costs, laws, politics, climate change, etc) and at some point you may change your mind and want that dual citizenship and passport. I've also found that when traveling, that Dutch passport my husband has is a benefit to both of us (I get to go in the EU passport lines, for example, even though I am USC).    Please think long and hard before you make your final decision.    

I second this. I have friends who kept their EU country citizenship with the intention of retiring in Europe rather than staying in the US.

Just check if forfeiting your passport somehow means forfeiting your citizenship. If it doesn’t, then it shouldn’t matter.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

No, you don't have to keep a valid UK passport. For myself, I will keep both passports valid. I'll use the US passport on US territory, and the Swedish on Swedish territory. It's just a matter of what one prefers.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
22 hours ago, PoohBear72 said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Poohbear72

I am not sure UK's approach to this but Poland requires its citizens to use PL passport traveling into and out of country (and you are a citizen until your renounce it). I very very rarely fly directly into PL so I go through passport control there (typically either CDG or AMS - so it's not an issue), but when I do - they are picky about using non-PL passport - specifically - they will not let you out if you don't have one (happened many times).

Again - I am not familiar with UK laws (and how upcoming Brexit is going to affect that) but I would guess you won't be able to cut off ties until you renounce UK citizenship. Until that happens, it is smart to have a valid passport - IMO.

23 hours ago, Boiler said:

Highly unlikely not renewing a Passport would have such a dire result, anywhere.

Certainly UK and USait is a long process to give up your Citizenship.

Per Netherlands Government website, just as an FYI:  

Validity of passports and identity cards

Passports and identity cards are valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 18.

Do you hold another nationality besides Dutch? If so, you could risk losing your Dutch nationality if you do not apply for a new Dutch passport or identity card or a Dutch nationality certificate before the validity period (10 years) expires.

Also:

Dutch passports and citizenship

In order to obtain a Dutch passport you must be able to prove that you hold Dutch nationality. In certain cases, you could lose your Dutch nationality if you do not apply for a new passport or Dutch nationality certificate before the validity period of your current one runs out.

Edited by mtempelaar

Thank you to all of you for your responses.  Considering that there is a fee to fully renounce UK citizenship I'm not going to do that there seems very little point really.  I do have a pension and possibly the state pension if they would allow me to claim the latter.  From what Wuozopo said it seems to make sense to keep UK citizenship seeing as I won't lose it at any point unless I choose to pay to lose it (!) so, ultimately, even if I don't renew my UK passport I can still apply for a new one even if the old one runs out.  I could even enter the UK on an American passport and go to the British Embassy and get one if I had to.   I am sure that in the UK you don't have to have a passport to be a citizen,  I have my birth certificate to prove citizenship.  

Bottom line is no I don't have to renew it, but I might want one in the future.  - thanks everyone.  🙂

Citizenship Timeline:

Service Center : Online  |  CIS Office : Columbus OH  |  Date Filed : 2018-08-20  |  NOA Date : 2018-08-21  |  Bio. Appt. : 2018-09-12  |  Interview Date : 2018-10-18  | 
Approved : 2018-10-19  |  Oath Ceremony : 2018-11-02   

6 minutes ago, PoohBear72 said:

Thank you to all of you for your responses.  Considering that there is a fee to fully renounce UK citizenship I'm not going to do that there seems very little point really.  I do have a pension and possibly the state pension if they would allow me to claim the latter.  From what Wuozopo said it seems to make sense to keep UK citizenship seeing as I won't lose it at any point unless I choose to pay to lose it (!) so, ultimately, even if I don't renew my UK passport I can still apply for a new one even if the old one runs out.  I could even enter the UK on an American passport and go to the British Embassy and get one if I had to.   I am sure that in the UK you don't have to have a passport to be a citizen,  I have my birth certificate to prove citizenship.  

Bottom line is no I don't have to renew it, but I might want one in the future.  - thanks everyone.  🙂

Once you move the the US and have worked long enough you become eligible for Social Security in your older years.    Familiarize yourself with how your state pension from the UK and Social Security payouts are impacted.   Some countries don't allow you to double dip without repercussions to payouts or taxes.    Hubby and I were struggling with this a while ago in retirement planning, particularly if we move back to the Netherlands some day.

Edited by mtempelaar

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.