baggles

SSN Card denied

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everyone. 

I received from the Social Security Administration a letter (see photo attached) saying they denied my request for a social security number based on the fact that "my legal Immigration documents will expire before an SSN card can be issue to you". 

The problem I requested it over 2 months ago, way before my I-94 expired and in all this time I called several times the office receiving the same answer every time: "your request is being processed and we are checking everything". 

In fact, my I-94 expired on 09/23 and they sent the letter on 09/24. Seems like they did it on purpose and never really worked on my case. 

I arrived here on a k1 visa, when I went to the office I brought with me copies of the passport and the visa, I did everything they asked. 

I already sent the aos, and after asking them, I didn't apply for a new ssn with the I-765 form (easy authorization) as they told me I had already requested one and could not find myself in the situation with 2 ssn.

Without it I can't apply for a driving license/Id, I can't open or join my husband bank account and many other things. 

Any suggestions? What should I do? 

Thank you. 

PicsArt_09-30-04.20.49.jpg

Timeline
8 minutes ago, baggles said:

Hello everyone. 

I received from the Social Security Administration a letter (see photo attached) saying they denied my request for a social security number based on the fact that "my legal Immigration documents will expire before an SSN card can be issue to you". 

The problem I requested it over 2 months ago, way before my I-94 expired and in all this time I called several times the office receiving the same answer every time: "your request is being processed and we are checking everything". 

In fact, my I-94 expired on 09/23 and they sent the letter on 09/24. Seems like they did it on purpose and never really worked on my case. 

I arrived here on a k1 visa, when I went to the office I brought with me copies of the passport and the visa, I did everything they asked. 

I already sent the aos, and after asking them, I didn't apply for a new ssn with the I-765 form (easy authorization) as they told me I had already requested one and could not find myself in the situation with 2 ssn.

Without it I can't apply for a driving license/Id, I can't open or join my husband bank account and many other things. 

Thank you. 

I would visit the office and show proof (if you have it) that you've been waiting for 2 months, I'm sure the problem then can be resolved.

Good luck!

I’m sorry this happened to you. But unfortunately, hardly doubt there’s anything else to do but wait for ead or green card, whichever comes first.

shop around for banks, insurance should be good to go as well. It is a hurdle but you still can do things.

good luck 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wouldn't try to stress "they did it purposely" or"ignored your case". Stuff happens, paperwork slips through the cracks. As perhaps annoying at it is, people need to remember others make mistakes, and this type of situation is not live or die. 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
28 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

If you applied for the EAD you need to wait until that comes and you can get your SSN card and driver's license. 

I didn't apply for a ssn on my ead request because they told me not to since I already applied for one. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Wouldn't try to stress "they did it purposely" or"ignored your case". Stuff happens, paperwork slips through the cracks. As perhaps annoying at it is, people need to remember others make mistakes, and this type of situation is not live or die. 

Of course is not a life/death situation, but you can't deny this is totally unprofessional. 

What they did was not giving me a decent answer for two months. All I had was "we're doing more checks on your case" with no further explanation and then a denial base on the expiration of the i-94. Especially if all the checks they need to do are included in the file (all the paperwork they needed was there). 

I didn't apply a week before it expired, it was over 2 months before. 

And honestly, if every paperwork would slip through cracks, then we would have a bigger problem. That's a lame excuse. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
1 hour ago, baggles said:

I didn't apply for a ssn on my ead request because they told me not to since I already applied for one. 

I presume @little immigrant meant when you get the EAD in hand you can go to the SSA office, etc.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
20 hours ago, baggles said:

Hello everyone. 

Thank you. 

hi

so sad to hear that.its happens often with k1 applicant but you no need to worry wait for EAD and you can open a bank account easily.you can join your spouse in every documents.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We called Chase last week to ask if I can have a joint acc with my husband without SNN, they said yes. Also a lot of states will waive the SNN requirement for driver's license due to your status (waiting for AOS)

You're in Cali too, so: 

Non-Citizens and California Driver's Licenses

You will follow the same new California driver's license application process as described above, paying close attention to:

• Your Social Security number*. The DMV might waive this if BOTH of the following apply to you:
    • You are not authorized to work in the country or are otherwise ineligible.
    • You can provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence (BD/LP) document.
Edited by stacyt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for the tip. I will be in the same boat soon, I am going to wait about 2 weeks after POE to make sure my fiancee is in the SAVE system, and I plan to verify this when we apply for her card, and then since I pass the office every day on my way home I will stop in there everyday starting about 3 weeks after we apply, and talk to someone every day asking about the status of the card. They will be so tired of me coming into the office that they will print one out right there just to make me not come back the next day. It sucks I have to do this, but it is a division of the US government, welcome to America.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Other Timeline
22 hours ago, baggles said:

Of course is not a life/death situation, but you can't deny this is totally unprofessional. 

What they did was not giving me a decent answer for two months. All I had was "we're doing more checks on your case" with no further explanation and then a denial base on the expiration of the i-94. Especially if all the checks they need to do are included in the file (all the paperwork they needed was there). 

I didn't apply a week before it expired, it was over 2 months before. 

And honestly, if every paperwork would slip through cracks, then we would have a bigger problem. That's a lame excuse. 

If this is the worst thing that happens in your life, you will be very lucky.  Go out for a nice dinner and "chill out."

Timeline
1 minute ago, CEE53147 said:

If this is the worst thing that happens in your life, you will be very lucky.  Go out for a nice dinner and "chill out."

Are you being serious? 

I'm asking for an advice on what to do and this is your answer? 

Thanks, but you could have saved 10 seconds of your life and spare your "wisdom". 

If you don't have any practical thing to say regarding this matter, you could have just not answered. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.