kingjulian

Career after military

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello military family, my post might not be immigration related but I'm hoping to get answers. I'm almost done with my military service. Served for 3 years. I'm lost as to how to find careers out there that I can continue working in. A job that will provide the same or better financial security and opportunities.. Please share if you have any information. Thanks

@kingjulian Hello, the development of a career is not possible without an education. Are you eligible for GI Bill? Did you look into opportunity of further education at college/university? 

ROC

12/11/2018 - I-751 mailed (requested a fee waiver) to Lewisville, TX via FedEx

12/13/2018 - package delivered 

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

01/29/2019 - received biometrics appointment letter

02/08/2019 - biometrics completed

It's almost impossible to answer this question for you. We don't know what's your education, we don't know what's your interest, we don't know what you like doing, what's your skills...  Based on your post we can suggest everything from retail to any any occupation that require specialized skills and education. They all give financial stability, right? ;)

In my opinion the best thing to do, if financial stability is what you want, is to stay in the military for 20 years and then have your retirement benefits. But I'm pretty biased about this.

Majority of military posts have places where they offer advice on military/civilian transitions. I'd say go there first.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Other Timeline

Actually, for many military service benefits are far better than those available in the private sector. As a vet, you have a preference for federal jobs.

The bureau of Labor Statistics had a lot of information about jobs including salary information, projected growth of positions, etc. Look for the Occupational Outlook Handbook.  You will find that the jobs with the greatest number of opportunities generally are low paid in health services. 

Your next job is unlikely to be yours for life but a stepping stone to something better.  Be realistic and take advantage of information sessions at your base.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Yes im eligible for gibill. Is it true it pays your rent and your college tuition as well? I've just heard horror stories of vets getting jobs 

31 minutes ago, kingjulian said:

Yes im eligible for gibill. Is it true it pays your rent and your college tuition as well? I've just heard horror stories of vets getting jobs 

It's only horror stories for vets who didn't get their education and who didn't get any useful skills. Kind of hard to get a good job post military if you have nothing to back you up.

GI Bill can pay your tuition and also gives you a BAH. Ex. https://militarybenefits.info/monthly-housing-allowance-mha-for-post-911-gi-bill/

I'd suggest get more informations about this at your base (ex. Soldier for Life )

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

@kingjulian I suggest you to speak with the education advisor on your base and to read online about your options. In addition, keep in mind that your military experience will not be useful in a civilian life. Your heard horror stories and they are true. 

Government jobs are not only hard to get (even with preferences!) but also much harder to keep. The competition is crazy!

Private sector requires experience in a private sector, they do not care much about military experience, even if this experience is in the same specialty. 

Without knowing someone who will help you to get initial experience, it will be extremely difficult and stressful after the military. 

Some security companies (such as AlliedBarton Security Services) hire veterans right after military, without experience. To get those jobs you will need to attend job fairs for veterans and talk directly with recruiters. 

ROC

12/11/2018 - I-751 mailed (requested a fee waiver) to Lewisville, TX via FedEx

12/13/2018 - package delivered 

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

01/29/2019 - received biometrics appointment letter

02/08/2019 - biometrics completed

Many universities and community colleges offer special services (including admissions advice) for vets.

What was your service and specialty?  What are your interests? Where would you like to live and eventually work? What is your educational background?  If you give me more info about yourself, I'll provide some suggestions of programs you might want to start looking at.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know quite a few people who did their Degrees either in the Armed Forces or afterwards, my understanding is that it was paid for either in total or substantially.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

TX A&M in Galveston (also other Maritime Academies) has a program to train Merchant Marine Deck and Engineering officers that is ideal for former Navy who wish to continue their careers at sea but the programs are not limited to Navy vets. These programs are some of the best paying jobs for BS graduates.  Many of the faculty in the licensing programs are former military.

The College Station campus of TX A&M is known for providing services to vets. See:

https://www.bestvalueschools.com/colleges-for-veterans-roi/

Sometimes the best value is to attend community college and transfer to 4 year school with an Associates of Science/Arts.  This is particularly true if you will be working part time to supplement the GI Bill as well as going to school. 

It is important to match your lifestyle/needs to the typical student. A college catering to single, just out of HS students is a poor choice for a married, older student who needs flexibility in times of course offerings.

Do not get sucked into online for-profit colleges.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Unless you have specialized or exceptional skills, getting a federal job won’t be easy. It’s doable but make sure your resume is sharp and speaks to all of your experience. Because it will be you and 1000+ other applicants vying for that same veteran’s 5 or 10 pt preference for one job. And plz make sure to get your VA benefits. Thank you for your service. 

Edited by angelbrown

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm retired Army (Combat Medic), 20 years.  Before you are discharged you are required to go through ACAP (Army Career and Alumni Program).  There are numerous classes for you to attend and ALL of your questions can be answered there.  They will help you with writing your resume, civilian employment related to your Military job, organizations that will assist veterans to gain employment, etc.  ACAP is a Commander's program so your current Command MUST allow you to attend.

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765, I-131)

12/28/2019:  Packages sent to USCIS via Fedex

12/30/2019:  USCIS received packages

1/08/2020:  NOA for all 3 applications

1/17/2020:  Received biometrics appt letter for the I-485 and I-765 (Code 3). 

1/31/2020:  Biometrics completed

2/20/2020:  RFE

6/15/2020:  Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

6/15/2020:  I-765 (New Card is Being Produced)

6/30/2020:  Received Combo Card in the Mail

4/22/2021:  AOS Interview

4/26/2021:  AOS Approval

4/29/2021:  Permanent Resident Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My suggestions:

GI bill

go to school

take cybersecurity

you will have your pick of jobs after

Edited by carmel34

I kept kind of the same career post military service. 

Mind you it's been a few years, but I was a Navy Airframes Mechanic. I used my GI Bill and Illinois veterans Grant to cover college and got a BS. While in school I Co-oped at McDonnell Douglas and that got me an offer after graduation. 

Spent the last 26 years working a variety of Military Aircraft programs at McDonnell Douglas, Boeing and GE.  

Writing this from Abu Dhabi right now as I am the country manager for military engines in UAE, Oman. And Egypt. 

Get the education if you can and pursue your dream. The tools they give you are awesome (GI Bill), but really up to you to put them to use. 

Can't speak for other places but we put a high emphasis on veteran hiring.  I'm the team leader for that program at my former University. 

Good luck and thanks for serving. 

Edited by jskibo

Friend did https://helmetstohardhats.org - only thing I would say, if you are interested, is to compare the apprenticeship programs (some pay much more than others, offer benefits during training and college credits...) and where you intend to live (regional pay varies greatly - some areas have a more diversified economy and the building projects only ever slowdown, even during an economic crisis). 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.