barashka

Joint Bank Checking Account

12 posts in this topic

Hello, folks.

I had a question about adding my wife to my checking account. She came here on a K-1 visa. I recently tried to add her to my bank checking account but, they stated that she needs a Green Card in order to add her to my checking account and that a Social Security Number does not suffice. I wanted to add her to my bank checking account so it could look nice as evidence for my AOS package I am compiling. However, I was a bit confused because I was going to use our joint bank checking account documents as supporting evidence for her Green Card application but, they (my bank) state she needs a Green Card in order to add her to my checking account (which defeats the point, aha). What have your experiences been like? Have any of you successfully added your spouse (who came here on a K-1) to your checking account without him/her having a Green Card.

I thank anybody for their help in advance.

Regards.

Edited by barashka

I opened a new, joint account with my fiancee the day after she got her SS card. Unfortunately, it sounds like your bank wants to see a green card. You can either pursue it up the administrative ladder there, or you can look at a different bank.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 minutes ago, barashka said:

Hello, folks.

I had a question about adding my wife to my checking account. She came here on a K-1 visa. I recently tried to add her to my bank checking account but, they stated that she needs a Green Card in order to add her to my checking account and that a Social Security Number does not suffice. I wanted to add her to my bank checking account so it could look nice as evidence for my AOS package I am compiling. However, I was a bit confused because I was going to use our joint bank checking account documents as supporting evidence for her Green Card application but, they (my bank) state she needs a Green Card in order to add her to my checking account (which defeats the point, aha). What have your experiences been like? Have any of you successfully added your spouse (who came here on a K-1) to your checking account without him/her having a Green Card.

I thank anybody for their help in advance.

Regards.

I was added to my hubby's bank account, well - both accounts, checking & saving, with just my passport, marriage license and ss #. We didn't have any issues. And it was with US Bank. 

P.S. You don't really need any joint bank statements with original AOS submission. Marriage License - that's it. So if you are ready to send your I485 out (along with I-765 & I-131 i hope?), then just do it. Eventually you will be able to add her to your bank account - with current bank or another one. And later, if you are called for an interview, you can bring your joint statements in.

Good luck!

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

People get mixed experiences with this, so it really comes down to which bank, and sometimes the knowledge level of the banker you end up sitting down with. However, most banks should legally be able to add someone as a joint signer (especially on an existing account) without a green card. I was able to add my husband once he got here, and they used his passport and Social Security Card (even with the DHS restriction verbiage) as his identification.

Perhaps switch banks, or try pursuing with upper management if you really want to stay with the same bank.

That aside - it's not required to show joint bank accounts for AOS evidence, even though a lot of people do use that. If this isn't something that you can bring to fruition, reallocate your focus on other pieces of evidence, such as getting your wife's name on utilities or other accounts, getting her added to your lease or mortgage and/or renters/home owners insurance, etc. Those things can support her stateside residence with you as well as bank accounts.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Try a different bank. We had no problem adding husband without a green card. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

3 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

I was added to my hubby's bank account, well - both accounts, checking & saving, with just my passport, marriage license and ss #. We didn't have any issues. And it was with US Bank. 

P.S. You don't really need any joint bank statements with original AOS submission. Marriage License - that's it. So if you are ready to send your I485 out (along with I-765 & I-131 i hope?), then just do it. Eventually you will be able to add her to your bank account - with current bank or another one. And later, if you are called for an interview, you can bring your joint statements in.

Good luck!

Thank you for your prompt response.

By joint statements, do you mean I should just submit as much joint evidence as possible and not worry about if we are not on the same checking account?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
22 minutes ago, barashka said:

Thank you for your prompt response.

By joint statements, do you mean I should just submit as much joint evidence as possible and not worry about if we are not on the same checking account?

Exactly :)

USCIS recognizes that it can be  really tough to get joint assets after arrival on a K1 visa., without green card or at least  EAD card. So, no worries - just submit what you have. We  (and a lot of others as well) sent in just marriage license, despite the fact my name was already  on our AT&T bill, I was added to my husband's bank account, utilities account,  house insurance and car ins (I got my first DL right after arrival , valid til my I-94 expiration date). No interview, no RFE for any joint assets.

Actually, we had an RFE, but due to looooong I-485 processing time (15 months) -  they just wanted the latest Tax Return and some vaccinations were already due.  That's  it. But we were  never asked for any joint assets during AOS,  although we already had plenty. 

Good luck!!!

Edited by Ksenia_O

Try a different bank, even if you transfer a small amount of money. I opened an account at Wells Fargo with my husband when he came here on his K1 before having his SS #, even. He has his SS and EAD card now and has no problem using the bank. The people at Chase wouldn't let me add him, but they were willing to let me add him to my Chase Sapphire card as an authorized user which was kind of strange. 

Wells Fargo and Bank of America are easy choices that will allow you to do without a greencard as others stated before.  Another option is a credit union.   My credit union allowed me to do it by faxing a form since I live 9 hours from the nearest branch.

Most credit cards will allow you to add an authorized user but that's case-by-case.   I was able to add my husband to my Amex before he even got his CR-1 approved (so no GC, SSN or other identification).  I was also able to add him to the deed for the house (no choice there since I was refinancing), add him to car and home insurance, retirement beneficiary and life insurance.   All before he was even in the US.

Shop around.  They don't all make it easy but it all can be done.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

My husband added me to the joint account with Wells Fargo and they did not give us any problem. We did it after we filed for AOS so by that time I already had my SSN and my EAD so it was easy. It was not necessary to have the GC.  You don't need to have all that evidence before you file for AOS. You can start gathering all that stuffs during AOS and all that will be very useful for ROC and up to citizenship later on.

When we did my AOS in 2012 all what we sent was the marriage certificate and photos of the wedding and family gatherings, that was all pretty much. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi.  try applying for a savings account instead. or  Try M&T bank or Santander bank.  I dont see why they will not. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.