Roel

Going back to school!

37 posts in this topic

So I'm preparing myself to go back to school... again. :) Because we move so often, I decided that online college is the best way to go. My husband got his degree the same way.

Does anyone have experiences with online college? Which college did you pick?

Currently I'm looking into University of Maryland, though the only reason is their military programs and the fact that they have office on our post. But maybe there are better online schools out there?

Another question.. sort of. I'm extremely undecided what to do. :D I'm trying to decide between bachelors in Health Services Management or Criminal Justice. I see myself working in both those fields. Yes, I researched possible jobs.

Anyone have any experiences with either of those degrees/jobs?

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Roel said:

So I'm preparing myself to go back to school... again. :) Because we move so often, I decided that online college is the best way to go. My husband got his degree the same way.

Does anyone have experiences with online college? Which college did you pick?

Currently I'm looking into University of Maryland, though the only reason is their military programs and the fact that they have office on our post. But maybe there are better online schools out there?

Another question.. sort of. I'm extremely undecided what to do. :D I'm trying to decide between bachelors in Health Services Management or Criminal Justice. I see myself working in both those fields. Yes, I researched possible jobs.

Anyone have any experiences with either of those degrees/jobs?

From a resume and career standpoint most employers will give more credence to someone who obtained their 4 year degree the traditional way. GOing to class - having interactive class participation, etc, etc.  These online schools are convenient to many but dont offer the same education that one gets from the classroom in the traditional sense.  Many employers look down on online schools.   I have been in recruitment for 14 years so I can attest to this.

There is a huge difference between University of Maryland College Park and University of Maryland University College.  The individual who has a degree from College Park will be looked at in a much more favorable light then the individual from their online program.

Best of luck in your decision and do your research for whatever you decide.

6 minutes ago, GP1977 said:

From a resume and career standpoint most employers will give more credence to someone who obtained their 4 year degree the traditional way. GOing to class - having interactive class participation, etc, etc.  These online schools are convenient to many but dont offer the same education that one gets from the classroom in the traditional sense.  Many employers look down on online schools.   I have been in recruitment for 14 years so I can attest to this.

There is a huge difference between University of Maryland College Park and University of Maryland University College.  The individual who has a degree from College Park will be looked at in a much more favorable light then the individual from their online program.

Best of luck in your decision and do your research for whatever you decide.

Thank you! I'd prefer to do is traditional way, but online classes are so convenient, indeed. 😛 We will probably be in Germany for 2 - 3 more years also, so I don't have much choice.

BUT if I'd decide to wait and do traditional way when we're back in US - is it possible to complete the 4 year degree in different colleges/states and transferring credits? Sorry, the US education system is nuts.

This is the place I'm looking into http://www.umuc.edu/

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Roel said:

Thank you! I'd prefer to do is traditional way, but online classes are so convenient, indeed. 😛 We will probably be in Germany for 2 - 3 more years also, so I don't have much choice.

BUT if I'd decide to wait and do traditional way when we're back in US - is it possible to complete the 4 year degree in different colleges/states and transferring credits? Sorry, the US education system is nuts.

This is the place I'm looking into http://www.umuc.edu/

Yes, if you could do 2 years with the online school and then transfer to a 4 year university program then that would be much better.  You will need to check with the 4 year program and find out if the classes (which they will refer to as credits will transfer).  Of course all of this is dependent upon where you will be living when you return to the US. If you are going to be in the Maryland area and can complete your degree at College Park that would be fantastic.  I would call both the online school and the university you think you would attend and ask them if their credits would transfer.

Just be careful with the online schools. They have been a very controversial topic here in the USA because many are nothing but profit centers..

54 minutes ago, GP1977 said:

Yes, if you could do 2 years with the online school and then transfer to a 4 year university program then that would be much better.  You will need to check with the 4 year program and find out if the classes (which they will refer to as credits will transfer). 

I haven't thought about this before, but it actually sounds like a pretty good plan. Thank you. :)

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Roel said:

I haven't thought about this before, but it actually sounds like a pretty good plan. Thank you. :)

Yes, because if you can get a diploma from the traditional university (not the online) no one would ever know that you went to an online school.  You would be able to list your degree as being obtained from the traditional university.  Only you and whomever else you decided to share it with that you went to an online school would know.   Again, you just need to find out if they will let the credits transfer from an online school to their traditional program.   Good luck.

Thank you @NuestraUnion! This is extremely helpful! Especially the links you provided.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Congratulations on your decision to go back to school.  In my opinion, accreditation is more important than whether it is online or traditional.  It takes a lot of self discipline to complete an online degree, and I think most employers recognize that.

I like your choices of fields.  Both could be rewarding in multiple ways. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Whatever route you take or program of study you pursue, I predict that you'll be very successful, both during and after the process.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

12 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Whatever route you take or program of study you pursue, I predict that you'll be very successful, both during and after the process.

Thank you! That's so nice. :D

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

University of Colorado has online degrees in business etc... I have seriously thought about going back with them, but the cost vs the potential reward at my age didn't jive.  

Congrats on continuing your education! :D

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

23 minutes ago, NikLR said:

University of Colorado has online degrees in business etc... I have seriously thought about going back with them, but the cost vs the potential reward at my age didn't jive.  

Yes!!

Cost is another factor that people have to take into account. A person who is going for an online degree program at good accredited school is going to pay roughly the same price as an onsite student. I think paying lower for online degrees is another misconception. Yes, you will pay less overall because you don't have to pay for things like housing (dorms) and meals. But you definitely will be paying about the same per credit price as everyone else. For example, based on the US New website I referenced earlier, a 120 credit undergraduate degree at UNC (University of North Carolina) will be about $80,000 ($668 per credit).

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

First is to make sure the school is accredited-unfortunately many online schools may not be. Also make sure courses are transferable if you do choose to go to a physical university in the future- you don’t want to have wasted time and money. 

I got my undergrad degree in criminal justice- some of my classmates went on to law school after that, law enforcement or something completely different. I myself never used the degree and got my masters in a separate field-but wouldn’t have changed anything as the courses and curriculum were very interesting and did help me get to where I am today.

im not familiar with health services management per say..but if that would be management in the health care field I would assume that would be a growing field. (I actually am in the health care industry) However you may need experience other than education (or an advanced degree) to get there. I know you stated you checked out jobs in those fields- also check out the course curriculums for both- that may help you choose as well. Good luck!

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.