xAJx

US citizen who is transgender filing k1 application

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

I need some help please. I am a US citizen who is a transgender man and I am petitioning for my soon to be wife. I have had surgeries, I have  birth certificate, drivers license and passport all now stating male. My question is on the k1 visa application is it absolutely necessary to fill in “other names” on the application with my old information? I feel extremely uncomfortable about having to do that. Thank you.  

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

As uncomfortable as it may be for you, you were once identified by other names previously so I’m gonna say you more than likely have to list them. However, I'm not 100% though, do an infopass or call your local uscis center to be sure. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i believe so, because you will have to give at some point a birthcertificate stating us citizenship, so your given name will have to come up

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

2 minutes ago, Bfree3 said:

As uncomfortable as it may be for you, you were once identified by other names previously so I’m gonna say you more than likely have to list them. However, I'm not 100% though, do an infopass or call your local uscis center to be sure. 

Thank you for your input. I will call uscis in the morning. I read somewhere on this site to put the information as your identification shows. But I want to be 100% sure first. 

Just now, Alabamak1 said:

i believe so, because you will have to give at some point a birthcertificate stating us citizenship, so your given name will have to come up

My US birth certificate is with all current and proper information even my passport. In the state I was born they issue a completely new birth certificate. Whereas some states only give amendmented ones. But mine is completely new. 

Instructions are clear - you even have to list nicknames (so Greg and Gregory, for example) - so you definitely have to list any legal name you have used in the past. 

Item Numbers 7.a. - 7.c. Other Names Used. Provide any other names you have used including your aliases, maiden name, and nicknames. If you have used additional names, provide them in Part 8. Additional Information.

Source: 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 minutes ago, xAJx said:

My US birth certificate is with all current and proper information even my passport. In the state I was born they issue a completely new birth certificate. Whereas some states only give amendmented ones. But mine is completely new. 

best if you take a look at the form I-129F...i beleive there might be a section where it asks, if you went by other names...i may be confused on that

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Yes you do. They run background checks on you so you need to provide all names you ever used legally. Not to sound rude, but it really is no big deal and no one cares who you once were. USCIS will run your paperwork like any other and the fact that you were once known by another name is not gonna make a difference at all. But you do need to tell them. And I guarantee that if you omit that, they will find out. If you fail to provide that it could be considered misinterpretation and it could be issues in the future. Just do it and get it over with it and move on. Life is life. 

I think the only issue is a previous named used.  Just like anyone who has changed either their first or last name legally, under any circumstances.  Your gender is a legally recognized status, as evidenced by your updated BC, etc.

The only other roadblock I can see (and this is for later on in your immigration journey) is depending on the political culture of your fiancee's country, she may be subject to aggressive questioning in the embassy interview.  This is just a generalization of course, but.....I could see this being different in the UK vs. a MENA country, for example.  

As long as she is prepared for potentially invasive personal questions, she should be fine.  Oh, and for some consulates, it counts big time if you are able and allowed to accompany her to the interview.

Good luck! ❤️   

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Any legal name you have used/had needs to be listed

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
13 hours ago, xAJx said:

Hello,

I need some help please. I am a US citizen who is a transgender man and I am petitioning for my soon to be wife. I have had surgeries, I have  birth certificate, drivers license and passport all now stating male. My question is on the k1 visa application is it absolutely necessary to fill in “other names” on the application with my old information? I feel extremely uncomfortable about having to do that. Thank you.  

I understand that you feel very uncomfortable with that part. But nothing about immigration is about dignity. You might feel uncomfortable putting down your old name. But your future wife will probably feel more uncomfortable as she will be poked and prodded during her medical. Nothing is private when it comes to immigration. They will know everything about you. Don't like it, don't feel comfortable with it... Don't petition for her. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My guess would be yes, provide it. Understanding your legal documents, including birth certificate, have been adjusted with your current information, you at some point did go by another name (presumably). If for any reason, in reviewing your background, they come across any instance where you are listed/referred to under your previous name, and you did not disclose this on your application, that may possibly pose a problem. At best, it could cause them to request more information, which just eats up your time.

People are about to get ALL UP in your business, throughout this process, no matter your past. It is not always comfortable. It is not always fun. But particularly when dealing with immigration and the government, it's best to be as upfront as possible. Being transgender will not hold any weight, when it comes to approving or denying your application with your partner, so other than it just generally being an unpleasant thing to share, don't let it worry you.

As previous poster said - nothing with this process will be private. Even if your papers have been updated, there are still records, I'm sure, of the adjustments and reason for the adjustments. I would give the information when initially asked for/about it rather than wait and let them ask you for it, because that can sometimes hold up or delay your processing.

Also - try searching "transgender" or more specific key words here on the forums. You may find threads with more insight on what others did during their process, when it comes to transparency on this topic.

Good luck to you both! You found this site at a good point in your journey - use it as much as needed, as it has been one of the most helpful resources for many!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.