Blossom2635

Having a life in us

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hi my names is balsam nefzi I  from Tunisia and I am 14 years old and I want to immigrate to America and study there my mom is okay with send me there to my aunt in Texas Houston but I don’t even know how to start with the immigration process 

If your mom is ok with giving you 20.000$ - 50.000$ to go to school in the US then sure, you can try for some student visa. 

Otherwise. No way for you to immigrate. Your aunt cant help with immigration. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

2 hours ago, Blossom2635 said:

Hi my names is balsam nefzi I  from Tunisia and I am 14 years old and I want to immigrate to America and study there my mom is okay with send me there to my aunt in Texas Houston but I don’t even know how to start with the immigration process 

Hi,

As previously stated, your only option is a student visa. Your aunt can't petition for you to immigrate. 

Below is a link to guides on student visas. Important notes, you will have to prove you have funds to pay for the school. Also, a student visa is a nonimmigrant visa, meaning you will eventually have to return to your country. So technically you won't be immigrating with it.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html

http://www.visajourney.com/content/student-visa-guide

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

***Moved to "Student and Exchange Visitor Visa" forum***

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Timeline
6 hours ago, Blossom2635 said:

Hi,

Your aunt can not file for you to immigrate to the US.  An US citizen can never file for a nephew or niece. 

To study in the US, you will need a non-immigrant student visa.  You will need $20,000 to $40,000 in a bank to show you can afford ONE YEAR of being a foreign student.  You will have to return home after getting your degree.  

https://educationusa.state.gov/

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html

The OP is 14, presumably looking at high school.

Blossom, if you come to study at high school in the US it’s complicated. Apart from requiring a student visa, you need to either be enrolled in a private school, or you need to pay the public school you attend the subsidy back (you cannot come in on a student visa and study for free at a public high school) and in this case you can also only study for a maximum of 12 months.  So if you want to do more than a year you are looking at private school, where fees are often similar to college costs ($20k or more a year, some will be less, some might be more). Can your family fund this? Has your aunt researched private schools near where she lives if she will be accommodating you? Note that unlike public schools, private schools are under no obligation to accept applicants so that could be a further complication, if the school is full, has a particular minimum academic requirement for admission, etc. Also bear in mind many private schools are religiously based, and you being from Tunisia looking at Texas... may not be the same religion, so you may not be comfortable with this angle, though of course you should be able to find some option that works for you.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa/foreign-students-in-public-schools.html

Edited by SusieQQQ

Perhaps you could check into becoming an exchange student for a year. Check out www.afsusa.org as a possible resource. There are other sites as well. Good luck!  

Whilst it might be possible to study temporarily in the USA (assuming your parents have the financial means), this is not necessarily going to lead to "having a life in the USA". Don't apply to a college here just because you want to live in America, focus on what you are good at and what you enjoy. Pick the college - either at home or overseas - that offers the best opportunities for your chosen career path. Study as hard as you can and who knows...you might later find yourself in a position to come here through an employment visa. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

As already stated, a foreign exchange program is your best bet. It will allow you to study in the US for a year but you'll have to stay with the sponsoring family with which you are placed and not your aunt. There are no guarantees that you'll even be in Texas. 

It's worth checking into but you are probably looking at the 2019-2020 school year, if approved.  You'll have to return to your mom at the end of the school year. (BTW: I'm a high school teacher and our school loves exchange students). 

If you are serious about this, then have one of your parents to message me and I'll give them the information. It is a process like anything else so it is best to get started soon. Best of luck. :)

Edited by C&AH

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.