T_P

AOS AUGUST 2018 FILERS FROM K-1 [merged threads]

1,330 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hi, newbie here 1f642.png:) HELP. we just sent our AOS form + EWP and AP. we forgot to include his paystub coz it doesn't show on the requirement/guidelines. will that be ok? we submit his tax transcript and w2 for the last 3 years tho. 2015, 2016, 2017. forgot the Cert of Employment too. lol

4 hours ago, C.&A. said:

hi, newbie here 1f642.png:) HELP. we just sent our AOS form + EWP and AP. we forgot to include his paystub coz it doesn't show on the requirement/guidelines. will that be ok? we submit his tax transcript and w2 for the last 3 years tho. 2015, 2016, 2017. forgot the Cert of Employment too. lol

It will depend on the officer reviewing your case if they need additional evidence or proof that you making over the poverty levels. In the instructions it does say to provide at least 6 months of paystubs, most recent tax year return or transcript and employment verification letter.  Paystubs and employment verification letter shows current proof that you make over the poverty level. At this point, you will have to wait and see if the case officer requests for you to send it in or if it they will wait and request for you to bring it to the interview.

ROC Filing:

4/21/2021 - Sent ROC Package via FedEx

4/22/2021 - FedEx package delivered and signed

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

5/14/2021 - Received NOA1 via mail (NOA1 date: 5/8/2021)

6/9/2021 -  Biometrics waived - Case updated to Fingerprints taken

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
7 hours ago, jean baptiste said:

lot and lot of junk questions on those form anyway i still have one question as well regarding the affidavit i hope i'm right checking the first 2 box of part 3. please reply ASAP  

aos1.thumb.jpg.67c475a1b06f88e655cdc898607d4038.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
14 hours ago, ababsurd said:

Our package was received on August 2nd, and I received the NOA1 via email on August 7th. 
The official notice should arrive in the mail within 7-10, so yes, I guess the total waiting time for the NOA1 is around 2/3 weeks :) 

Good to know, thanks a lot 🙂

does anyone here have tried going to Social Security Office to change name? I’m  in California and I don’t if I needed to wait for the combo card to get state id and Driver’s license 

Applied for AOS/EAD/AP : August 7, 2018 (via USPS)

USCIS Chicago received the package: August 9, 2018

NOA1:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
8 minutes ago, dynesyzygy24 said:

does anyone here have tried going to Social Security Office to change name? I’m  in California and I don’t if I needed to wait for the combo card to get state id and Driver’s license 

Did you ask for a social to be given to you when you applied for EAD?
If you did, make sure you do NOT go back to Social Security office. Because that's going to cause you a lot of headache if you end up with 2 social numbers given to the same person.

If you asked for socials with EAD, then you MUST wait for EAD
If not, you can go to Social and see if they will give you one. It's all going to depend on the person helping you.
 Keep in mind that they will only give you a social if you have been in the US less then 76 days (there has to be enough time left in I-94)- I CHANGED MY MIND. I just looked at your timeline- you did POE in May. They simply will not give you an SS now since your I-94 has expired.

So you have basically one choice:
U gotta wait till EAD to get an SSN

Edited by emekus94

Timeline
7 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

Did you ask for a social to be given to you when you applied for EAD?
If you did, make sure you do NOT go back to Social Security office. Because that's going to cause you a lot of headache if you end up with 2 social numbers given to the same person.

If you asked for socials with EAD, then you MUST wait for EAD
If not, you can go to Social and see if they will give you one. It's all going to depend on the person helping you.
 Keep in mind that they will only give you a social if you have been in the US less then 76 days (there has to be enough time left in I-94)- I CHANGED MY MIND. I just looked at your timeline- you did POE in May. They simply will not give you an SS now since your I-94 has expired.

So you have basically one choice:
U gotta wait till EAD to get an SSN

I do have SSN with my maiden name and I didn't ask for new SSN in the forms... so basically I can't do anything now before the I get the EAD :( I read somewhere that after they got the NOA1 and biometrics they were able to change it or get state ID , just not sure if this applies to all.

NOA1:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
13 minutes ago, dynesyzygy24 said:

I do have SSN with my maiden name and I didn't ask for new SSN in the forms... so basically I can't do anything now before the I get the EAD :( I read somewhere that after they got the NOA1 and biometrics they were able to change it or get state ID , just not sure if this applies to all.

Am not clear what you are asking
If you already have SSN, what are you talking about?

if you have SSN in maiden name, go back to SS office with marriage certificate and get a new one in married name. That's easy.

In regards to getting a DL, each state is different. It would seem that MOST states will not let you get a license without an EAD/GC. Others might let you get one that's temporary with an NOA1 AOS letter.
Am not sure where California falls in the law. Always just take a chance and go there and see what they say.

Am in Texas and even though they say you CAN get a DL with NOA1, it's not that simple because you have to wait for manual verification for DHS which can be like 2-3 months (by that time you might even have EAD) so yea
it's complicated. Everything is case by case.
Go to DMV in CA with NOA1 and see what they say for you.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

Am not clear what you are asking
If you already have SSN, what are you talking about?

if you have SSN in maiden name, go back to SS office with marriage certificate and get a new one in married name. That's easy.

In regards to getting a DL, each state is different. It would seem that MOST states will not let you get a license without an EAD/GC. Others might let you get one that's temporary with an NOA1 AOS letter.
Am not sure where California falls in the law. Always just take a chance and go there and see what they say.

Am in Texas and even though they say you CAN get a DL with NOA1, it's not that simple because you have to wait for manual verification for DHS which can be like 2-3 months (by that time you might even have EAD) so yea
it's complicated. Everything is case by case.
Go to DMV in CA with NOA1 and see what they say for you.

I did went to SS office last week and the guy told me that they can’t change my last name cause my I-94 had expired, so was wondering if there some people here who were able to change their lastname, got state id and dl with the AOS NOA1

NOA1:

10 minutes ago, dynesyzygy24 said:

I did went to SS office last week and the guy told me that they can’t change my last name cause my I-94 had expired, so was wondering if there some people here who were able to change their lastname, got state id and dl with the AOS NOA1

Re: changing last names on SS card with NOA1

- this should depend on the office you'll be visiting. My Santa Rosa SSA office wanted to see my green card before proceeding with using my married name. We're thinking of the SF office to try again with our marriage license, because they're more familiar with K1 cases

State ID and DL

- from what I've heard from family members, California allows immigrants (without papers) to sign up for these IDs because we're a sanctuary state. But I would advise to wait for either the EAD or your GC to get a smoother application. Again, how things go will depend on the office you'll be visiting (some staff members are more in-the-know than others)

EAD/AP: Card received.

AOS: Case ready to be scheduled.

Spoiler

K1 Visa

Packet sent - 07/16/2017
NoA1 - 07/24/2017
NoA2 - 03/06/2018
Interview - 05/17/2018
Visa Received - 05/25/2018

AOS

Packet sent via USPS Priority Mail - 08/02/2018
Packet received at Chicago lockbox - 08/06/2018
Text & email notification received - 08/12/2018
NOA1 received by mail - 08/16/2018 (Notice date - 08/09/2018)
Biometrics appt letter received by mail - 08/24/2018 (Notice date - 08/17/2018)
RFIE received (birth cert + financial support docs) - 08/30/2018 (Notice date - 08/24/2018)
Biometrics appt - 09/04/2018
RFIE received at Lee's Summit - 10/01/2018
Interview ready to be scheduled - 10/10/2018

EAD/AP

Packet sent via USPS Priority Mail - 08/02/2018
Packet received at Chicago lockbox - 08/06/2018
Text & email notification received - 08/12/2018
NOA1 received by mail - 08/16/2018 (Notice date - 08/09/2018)
Case was approved (EAD) - 01/09/2019
Name was updated (AP) - 01/10/2019
Card was mailed (EAD) - 01/11/2019
Case was approved (AP) - 01/11/2019
Card was picked up by USPS - 01/14/2019
Card was received - 01/15/2019

Timeline
16 minutes ago, debbie_payne73 said:

Re: changing last names on SS card with NOA1

- this should depend on the office you'll be visiting. My Santa Rosa SSA office wanted to see my green card before proceeding with using my married name. We're thinking of the SF office to try again with our marriage license, because they're more familiar with K1 cases

State ID and DL

- from what I've heard from family members, California allows immigrants (without papers) to sign up for these IDs because we're a sanctuary state. But I would advise to wait for either the EAD or your GC to get a smoother application. Again, how things go will depend on the office you'll be visiting (some staff members are more in-the-know than others)

Thank you, will probably wait for the EAD 😁

NOA1:

FedEx Tracker confirms our AOS package was delivered and signed for at 10:25am this morning. Next up is check being cashed and NOA1 text/email notification!!!!

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, dynesyzygy24 said:

I have my SSN in my maiden name, went back to the office to be told they couldn't change it with the marriage certificate I have to inform immigration. Received my NOA1 for AOS but actually have to wait for EAD or GC.

3 hours ago, dynesyzygy24 said:

2 hours ago, dynesyzygy24 said:

At this point, you need to wait until get your EAD. Before applying for AOS, you have your SSN with your maiden name which most likely verbiage was printed saying that this card does not give authorization for work or something in that form. SSA required you I-94 and passport in order to issue you your SSN. You can "try" when you get your NOA1 but the SSA is a federal agency and I doubt they would change your name with just your NOA1 because to them, the NOA1 only confirms you have a pending immigration status and that you haven't become approved for permanent resident yet. If you checked yes on your EAD that you want them to issue you a SSN#, then you will get another Social Security card sent to you with an updated issued date on it (most likely with your married name on it) and the SSN# will remain the same.

Regarding your State ID/DL - while it does vary from state to state, typically you can get a State ID but it will be due to expire on the same date as your I-94. My husband wanted a State ID and when we went to DMV they advised that it would only be valid until the same date as his I-94 and once he get his EAD/AP or GC (whichever comes first), he can get his State ID and/or DL which the expiration date would be for 10 years.

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.